+ Reply to Thread

WR Domenik Hixon Ends Long TD Wait

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...a-68df793e4453

"Domenik Hixon did just that on a five-yard fade to the back right corner of the end zone from Eli Manning on Sunday against the Saints.

The d***ling touchdown was Hixon’s first since Week 2 of 2011, when he tipped, bobbled, and secured the football in the same end zone of MetLife Stadium against the Rams on Monday Night Football. That was also the play on which he which he suffered a season-ending ACL injury.

After rehabbing back to make the start of 2012, Hixon had 26 catches for 390 yards before Sunday, but no touchdowns. That changed in the Week 14 victory, and it may have been the result of a few extra practice sessions.

“As receivers, we try to get better at something every week,” Hixon said. “So this week after practice, we were working on over-the-shoulder catches, trying to keep the defender away, and it came in the game. I just went up and tried to make a play.”

Returning from a two-week absence due to an ankle injury, Hixon finished the game with three catches for 30 yards. He was one of four different receivers to catch a touchdown from Manning, who was playing against former Giants (2007-09) and current Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

“That just came to be during the course of the game,” Hixon said of spreading the ball around. “We just try to go out there and compete every play. We knew we were going to get some press coverage with coach Spags being here. We knew as receivers what we were going to get.”

Hixon also saw time as the team’s punt returner, taking over the role rookie Rueben Randle handled for the majority of the season. Hixon recorded two returns for a 9.5-yard average with a long of 10.

“I don’t know, to be honest with you,” Hixon said of the coaches’ decision. “I told them whatever they need me to do for special teams, anything – receiver – I’m willing to do it, and my number was called this week. So I just tried to prepare myself the best I could.

“They got me some more reps throughout the week and even doing some special teams stuff. So I got my wind back pretty fast, and I’m thankful for that. I just had fun out here.”
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Good for Hixon. Lets hope he can now stay healthy.

Veteran
    he finally does something nicks couldn't do all season

Hixon is really underappreciated. I love his line about "whatever they want me to do." That's what ALL-IN is All-About
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 12-10-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Hixon is really underappreciated. I love his line about "whatever they want me to do." That's what ALL-IN is All-About
    +1
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 12-10-2012 at 03:18 PM.

I'm a big Hixon supporter, seems like a team first guy and he's got some serious skills when he's healthy.
    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzeboss View Post
    I'm a big Hixon supporter, seems like a team first guy and he's got some serious skills when he's healthy.
    He was one of Jerry Reese's early "projects." When he played for Denver, he was involved in a collision that they first thought paralyzed Bills' player Kevin Everett. Thankfully, Everett was not paralyzed. Still, Hixon was shaken up emotionally realizing that his contact with another player could have paralyzed him.

When Hixon was released by Denver in October of 2007 Jerry Reese brought him in, talked to him about his feelings, and signed him. I have no way of knowing this, but I think Hixon would jump off a bridge (figuratively) for the GIANTS if they asked. He's not flashy, he'll never be mentioned for Hall of Fame consideration.

But on game day, when his number is called, he puts on his helmet and asks where and what. He runs perfect routes according to the coaches and Eli. He can be the return man, gunner, WR or whatever else they ask of him.