+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giants' Defense Still Peaking

Giants' Defense Still Peaking

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1217402

Excerpt: "Nobody took the Giants seriously as Super Bowl contenders last season until their defense made its statement in the first round of the playoffs. The Giants’ beatdown of the Atlanta Falcons in a 24-2 victory showed that they had the muscle to level anyone in the league.

That’s something the defense doesn’t think it has shown yet this year.

“I’d say that’s a ‘no’ still,” said defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul. “We haven’t played our great football yet.”

“I definitely agree with that statement,” defensive tackle Chris Canty said Monday, one day after the Giants’ 52-27 win over the New Orleans Saints. “It wasn’t a signature defensive performance. There were a lot of miscues and things that we have to get cleaned up and corrected.”

So even though the defense let its inner “dog” out on Sunday, getting four turnovers and two big red-zone stops against the high-powered Saints, the Giants (8-5) knew it was far from a championship performance. They gave up a ridiculous 487 yards, including 142 on the ground to one of the worst rushing teams in football.

When the playoffs start, that likely won’t be good enough.

“Hopefully we’re better than that,” Tom Coughlin said Monday. “We certainly gave up a lot of yards (Sunday). We’re constantly trying to improve that area.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All I see is threads ripping the Giants defense.
    Here are facts for you the NY Giants defense is ranked 8th this season in Scoring defense. U can complain about yards all you want but bottom line is points thats all that matters. The Giants have done this playing the most difficult schedule in the NFL as well by the way.
    I really have no problem playing bend and dont break, The problem is when someone breaks from the design and they give up the big play. If u stop the big plays U win end of story.
    Everyone complains,comparing this team to other era Giant defenses. Im sorry but u cant compare a team from 86 to now, The rules are different the play calling is different.Lets compare the Giants defense to the other NFL teams this season okay. I see 3 teams that have good defenses Seahawks,Bears and 49ers everyone else is up and down and Believe it or not the Giants have had more ups then downs. They have played well since the by 2. The Redskins,Packers and Saints are 3 of the best offenses in the NFL and the Giants held everyone of them well under their season average for points. So everyone that is crying why dont u stop for a minute and check around the rest of the NFL before embarrassing yourself
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 12-11-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Good Article!
    New York Giants Superbowl XXI, XXV, XLII, XLVI Champions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    All I see is threads ripping the Giants defense. Here are facts for you the NY Giants defense is ranked 8th this season in Scoring defense. U can complain about yards all you want but bottom line is points thats all that matters. The Giants have done this playing the most difficult schedule in the NFL as well by the way. I really have no problem playing bend and dont break, The problem is when someone breaks from the design and they give up the big play. If u stop the big plays U win end of story. Everyone complains,comparing this team to other era Giant defenses. Im sorry but u cant compare a team from 86 to now, The rules are different the play calling is different.Lets compare the Giants defense to the other NFL teams this season okay. I see 3 teams that have good defenses Seahawks,Bears and 49ers everyone else is up and down and Believe it or not the Giants have had more ups then downs. They have played well since the by 2. The Redskins,Packers and Saints are 3 of the best offenses in the NFL and the Giants held everyone of them well under their season average for points. So everyone that is crying why dont u stop for a minute and check around the rest of the NFL before embarrassing yourself
    What he said ^
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Not true, they played great defense against the 49ers and Packers. Unfortunately that is 2 games out of 13.

Here are facts for you the NY Giants defense is ranked 8th this season in Scoring defense. U can complain about yards all you want but bottom line is points thats all that matters. The Giants have done this playing the most difficult schedule in the NFL as well by the way.
    I really have no problem playing bend and dont break, The problem is when someone breaks from the design and they give up the big play. If u stop the big plays U win end of story.
    Everyone complains,comparing this team to other era Giant defenses. Im sorry but u cant compare a team from 86 to now, The rules are different the play calling is different.Lets compare the Giants defense to the other NFL teams this season okay. I see 3 teams that have good defenses Seahawks,Bears and 49ers everyone else is up and down and Believe it or not the Giants have had more ups then downs. They have played well since the by 2. The Redskins,Packers and Saints are 3 of the best offenses in the NFL and the Giants held everyone of them well under their season average for points. So everyone that is crying why dont u stop for a minute and check around the rest of the NFL before embarrassing yourself
    +1. Plus, they are tops in getting turnovers. I'm not saying they're a great unit, because they aren't. But, if our offense can just score an extra touchdown and not be almost dead last in red zone offense, we'll be in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyArcher View Post
    Not true, they played great defense against the 49ers and Packers. Unfortunately that is 2 games out of 13.
    They limited the Skins to 17 points; they limited the Saints to 20 points - how is that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by TroyArcher View Post
    They don't have to be the defensive team of old what they need to do is keep turning the ball over to the offense and letting Eli be Eli

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    They limited the Skins to 17 points; they limited the Saints to 20 points - how is that bad?
    Great and bad are miles apart.

Bench Player
    Well said.

It's very reminiscent to last season. I believe that this team is battle tested and knows what it takes when the chips are all-in. The defense gave up no more than 20 points in any game for the last 6 weeks of the season (including the playoff run). I believe in this team and this coaching staff.

+ Reply to Thread