+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giants' Defense Still Peaking

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    All I see is threads ripping the Giants defense. Here are facts for you the NY Giants defense is ranked 8th this season in Scoring defense. U can complain about yards all you want but bottom line is points thats all that matters. The Giants have done this playing the most difficult schedule in the NFL as well by the way. I really have no problem playing bend and dont break, The problem is when someone breaks from the design and they give up the big play. If u stop the big plays U win end of story.Everyone complains,comparing this team to other era Giant defenses. Im sorry but u cant compare a team from 86 to now, The rules are different the play calling is different.Lets compare the Giants defense to the other NFL teams this season okay. I see 3 teams that have good defenses Seahawks,Bears and 49ers everyone else is up and down and Believe it or not the Giants have had more ups then downs. They have played well since the by 2. The Redskins,Packers and Saints are 3 of the best offenses in the NFL and the Giants held everyone of them well under their season average for points. So everyone that is crying why dont u stop for a minute and check around the rest of the NFL before embarrassing yourself
    Been saying the same thing. To many people get caught up with the stats that don't matter. Points is what matters and they are 8th in the NFL with points allowed. Look at the teams that are better and they are all very close with the exception of the 49ers. The defense allowed a whopping 6 points the the second bets offense in the league and a QB that has more passing yards and TD's than any other QB in the league. They allowed a two TD's in a game they where up big in, still the game was not over, but one of those came after an interception. Then some will say yeah but that was only because of turnovers. Lol. Like they aren't a part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Been saying the same thing. To many people get caught up with the stats that don't matter. Points is what matters and they are 8th in the NFL with points allowed. Look at the teams that are better and they are all very close with the exception of the 49ers. The defense allowed a whopping 6 points the the second bets offense in the league and a QB that has more passing yards and TD's than any other QB in the league. They allowed a two TD's in a game they where up big in, still the game was not over, but one of those came after an interception. Then some will say yeah but that was only because of turnovers. Lol. Like they aren't a part of the game.
    Wait just a minute. THIS is the thread you agree with? This is a P O S I T I V E thread. What happened during the hours of darkness?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All I see is threads ripping the Giants defense.
    Here are facts for you the NY Giants defense is ranked 8th this season in Scoring defense. U can complain about yards all you want but bottom line is points thats all that matters. The Giants have done this playing the most difficult schedule in the NFL as well by the way.
    I really have no problem playing bend and dont break, The problem is when someone breaks from the design and they give up the big play. If u stop the big plays U win end of story.
    Everyone complains,comparing this team to other era Giant defenses. Im sorry but u cant compare a team from 86 to now, The rules are different the play calling is different.Lets compare the Giants defense to the other NFL teams this season okay. I see 3 teams that have good defenses Seahawks,Bears and 49ers everyone else is up and down and Believe it or not the Giants have had more ups then downs. They have played well since the by 2. The Redskins,Packers and Saints are 3 of the best offenses in the NFL and the Giants held everyone of them well under their season average for points. So everyone that is crying why dont u stop for a minute and check around the rest of the NFL before embarrassing yourself
    I agree....that's a different era.

The NFL brass want scoring, 1986 might as well be 1936.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Wait just a minute. THIS is the thread you agree with? This is a P O S I T I V E thread. What happened during the hours of darkness?
    One game at a time.

PF still needs to stop this "bend dont break" BS. Three-and-outs give us the ball just like interceptions do...

Here are facts for you the NY Giants defense is ranked 8th this season in Scoring defense. U can complain about yards all you want but bottom line is points thats all that matters. The Giants have done this playing the most difficult schedule in the NFL as well by the way.
    I really have no problem playing bend and dont break, The problem is when someone breaks from the design and they give up the big play. If u stop the big plays U win end of story.
    Everyone complains,comparing this team to other era Giant defenses. Im sorry but u cant compare a team from 86 to now, The rules are different the play calling is different.Lets compare the Giants defense to the other NFL teams this season okay. I see 3 teams that have good defenses Seahawks,Bears and 49ers everyone else is up and down and Believe it or not the Giants have had more ups then downs. They have played well since the by 2. The Redskins,Packers and Saints are 3 of the best offenses in the NFL and the Giants held everyone of them well under their season average for points. So everyone that is crying why dont u stop for a minute and check around the rest of the NFL before embarrassing yourself
    I completely disagree...the saints were constantly running over the Giants but ran into some miscues....AT THE END OF THE DAY - can you look at this defense and say it was dominant and in control - ABSOLUTELY NOT - For you to sit here and think things are dandy when they would get crushed by a good offense is to live in a fantasy lala land. DEFENSE NEEDS TO GET MUCH MORE AGGRESSIVE and held to the highest standard ...

Agreed. This "D" just feels more underwhelming than they actually are. But you're right, they don't give up a ton of points and are tied for 2nd (w/ the Pats) at 34-takeaways. The Bears lead the league with 35. Not too shabby...

You wouldn't say that the Gmen or Pats have a dominant defense by any means. But they're clearly giving their teams a chance to win, even if it is frustrating to watch opposing QBs dink-and-dunk on you every game. It's a tradeoff and it's worked more times than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Points allowed is of cousre a huge factor. But come the playoffs you can always rely on turnovers and a big offensive performances. I would like to see some of their other numbers get better. Like stoping the rush and not letting so many huge plays up.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Points allowed is of cousre a huge factor. But come the playoffs you can always rely on turnovers and a big offensive performances. I would like to see some of their other numbers get better. Like stoping the rush and not letting so many huge plays up.....
    Absolutely. I'm not saying they are playing lights out defense. Just not nearly as bad as some are making it seem.

I really have no problem playing bend and dont break, The problem is when someone breaks from the design and they give up the big play.
    This is what usually gets us in trouble and it happens often enough to be problematic. The nice thing about the play offs is that most teams get really conservative offensively and flags aren't thrown as much which is why you see much closer games generally speaking. That bodes well for us.

However the problem with the BDB defense is that highly efficient teams can usually pick it apart. If you look at the games we lost this season, it was with the other team making few or no mistakes during the game. Those kinds of mistakes also go down in the playoffs. It also depends on turnovers and keeps the defense on the field longer. Not a good combination.

It's an effective defense ... just not the kind of defense I prefer and it's complex enough (in assignments) to make it an ongoing challenge for our players.

But for all the yapping, you do make a good point ... it's worked more times than not this year.
    Last edited by Kruunch; 12-11-2012 at 04:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread