+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on David Baas?

Question Thoughts on David Baas?

This guy didn't have a stellar first year, SB run aside. The oline has struggled this year in the run game but generally speaking, has been better than last year.

David Baas seems have started to gel with the team. His pass protection is solid. His run blocking is coming along. Our bigger free agents seem to have slow first years (Rolle, Canty, Boley, etc ...) but pick it up and this appears no different now.

What are your thoughts?

I'd still want someone younger in the position... someone drafted early.

The only knock I have on JR is that he refuses to draft o-line before the 4th round...

I don't understand why people are suprised or pessimistic when new players don't have fantastic first seasons. It takes time to learn a playbook. This goes for rookies too.

Usually big name free agents are filling a hole so they have to learn the playbook the hard way (on the field). Mistakes will happen.

The other option would be for coaches to dumb down their schemes for the new players (like we did for Boss in 07), but this has disadvantages too.

Baas is playing at a serviceable level, finally. But with that said, after this season I think Reese needs to "nuke" the offensive line.

The reasons I feel that way:

1. Our offensive line is below average on a good day. Run blocking especially.
    2. Payroll for the Giants offensive line is way above average. Aside from Kevin Boothe, most of these guys are getting paid like Pro-Bowlers.

We are wasting precious cap space on a group of guys that are seriously under-performing.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post

The only knock I have on JR is that he refuses to draft o-line before the 4th round...
    I don't think he refuses this at all. He is going to draft value above need if at all possible so that's just how it worked out. Also, Beatty was drafted round 2.

Baas is playing at a serviceable level, finally. But with that said, after this season I think Reese needs to "nuke" the offensive line. The reasons I feel that way: 1. Our offensive line is below average on a good day. Run blocking especially. 2. Payroll for the Giants offensive line is way above average. Aside from Kevin Boothe, most of these guys are getting paid like Pro-Bowlers. We are wasting precious cap space on a group of guys that are seriously under-performing.
    That would really be uncharacteristic of the organization. They build on continuity and player development.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    That would really be uncharacteristic of the organization. They build on continuity and player development.
    I would* be surprised if Reese doesn't ask Baas to take a pay cut or walk after this season. Same goes for Diehl, either he plays for toast or he IS toast.

These guys will take up 6.5 million each in cap space next season.

[edit]
    Last edited by PBTimmons; 12-12-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

I think we are ok on the line with the exception of right tackle.

ehh...the line is doing ok but is inconsistent like the rest of the team.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post

I think Beatty was 2nd round, but I agree, next year the offensive line needs to be addressed early....within rounds 1-3.

Most recently, I think Reese wasted that pick on Jernigan....it was like he was forcing a correction on his Sinorice Moss pick by replacing him with Jernigan.

The Giants have a QB in his prime, surrounded by young receivers, and if Wilson continues to develop, this offense is basically begging for the offensive line to be restocked.

I think it was Parcells who said he was always shocked by how quickly a player can go from NFL-capable to over the hill. The point is the Giants can't just wait for players to be past their prime.....they need guys who are pushing the veterans right now, not a few years down the road.....and this goes for pretty much everyone on the offensive line right now.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 12-12-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

+ Reply to Thread