+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on David Baas?

Baas has been quite average this year. Everyone saying how bad the line is don't know what they're talking about. While they haven't been the 9ers they've been more than adequate both passing and running. Beatty is having a fine season after an injury plagued 2011. Boothe has been nothing if not solid, while also providing the versatility to play centre if need be. While snee is not the player he used to be, he has rebounded quite nicely after a mediocre 2011 campaign. Locklear has been very steady in pass pro in limited action. And while everyone's boy dave diehl isn't about to go the pro bowl this year, he's been more than serviceable at RT, limiting the amount of pressure he gives up.

Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    I would* be surprised if Reese doesn't ask Baas to take a pay cut or walk after this season. Same goes for Diehl, either he plays for toast or he IS toast.

These guys will take up 6.5 million each in cap space next season.

[edit]
    Baas isn't going anywhere, the cap hit would be to large. Same with Diehl.

We overpaid for him. He is average at best. He really is pushed back too often. As I have been saying for the past few years, we need an overhaul of youth at the Oline.
    Eli's 5 interceptions?
    #BlameRandle

Baas is playing at a serviceable level, finally. But with that said, after this season I think Reese needs to "nuke" the offensive line.

The reasons I feel that way:

1. Our offensive line is below average on a good day. Run blocking especially.
    2. Payroll for the Giants offensive line is way above average. Aside from Kevin Boothe, most of these guys are getting paid like Pro-Bowlers.

We are wasting precious cap space on a group of guys that are seriously under-performing.
    Except that we are exactly average in the run game (ranked 15th) and way WAY above average in pass protection (Eli is one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL and we have the highest amount of red zone trips in the NFL this year).

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I'd still want someone younger in the position... someone drafted early.

The only knock I have on JR is that he refuses to draft o-line before the 4th round...
    Beatty and Snee were both second rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Baas isn't going anywhere, the cap hit would be to large. Same with Diehl.
    I'm no expert on salary cap and hits but AFAIK the only salary cap penalties for cutting a player are his bonuses. Baas has workout bonuses each year of his contract for 250k. Cutting him after this season would then result in 750k cap penalty. Well worth it considering his 2013 cap hit alone is 6.2 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Except that we are exactly average in the run game (ranked 15th) and way WAY above average in pass protection (Eli is one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL and we have the highest amount of red zone trips in the NFL this year).
    Sacks alone do not determine whether an offensive line is good. Eli himself is a big reason for this. A more telling statistic would be amount of QB pressures allowed.
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

I don't think our O line is playing at the level of their cap space and I think Reese will have to address this in the offseason...

Veteran
    He is grossly overpaid and at best average and at worst pretty awful.

Show me the beef

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I have a feeling our run blocking is more due to Hynocerous coming into his own and the signing of Bennett, as well as Beatty (which as other posters have pointed out to me was a second rounder). Locklear was helpful too until he went down.

As for the sacks allowed count, I'm putting that all on Eli and his godlike pocket presence. There's still defenders free in the backfield on damn near every play...

+ Reply to Thread