+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why I like the Giants chances in 2012.

Why I like the Giants chances in 2012.

I like their chances because they resemble the greatest teams from previous decades.

The Giants are one of the very few teams that has multiple SB wins under their belt.

I think you seperate the non-SB teams from the SB winners......the latter have guys who have proven they can win.

Similarly, you can further divide SB winners into "one shot wonders" and "potential dynasties".....again, the latter have guys who have validated their first championship was not a fluke.

In that category today, there are only 3 teams.....the Patriots (3), Giants (2), and Steelers (2).

I think those 3 teams are so successful because from the ground up, they have confidence they can win any given game.....it doesn't matter who the opponent is, what their record is, where they are playing, what the weather conditions are like, etc., etc.

These teams remind me of some powerhouses from decades past..... in the 1990's, it was the Cowboys and 49ers. In the 1980s, it was the Giants, Redskins, and 49ers. In the 1970's, it was the Steelers, Raiders, Dolphins, and Cowboys.

Those old teams just had the swagger....not "in your face swagger", but rather, just complete confidence that they had a shot to win any game on any given day. They expected to win, not hoped to win, and it was grounded in experience, not arrogance.

For example, a couple years back, I remember watching the Patriots go into Chicago, play in a blizzard, and completely whip the Bears......through the air.

This year, the Giants went into San Fran and just curb-stomped the 49ers, who all the ESPN-heads had crowned as the next SB winners. They followed that up with a thrashing of the Packers, and then last week's demolition of the Saints.......of the 4 "best" teams in the NFC last season, the Giants trashed the other 3.

That's one reason why I like the Giants chances against the Falcons.......because despite their glitzy record, the Falcons, deep down inside, still have self-doubt about whether they have what it takes to win a Super Bowl. The Giants do not.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

i can get on board with that......other than Tuck's fear of bobby-gee-3 , the Giants aren't skeered of nobody.
    when the aliens finally come to conquer us ....
    i hope that their weapons of choice are Gibsons and Fenders

I'd feel that way about the Falcons in the play offs.

At home, during the regular season, the Falcons are a tough out.

Good post.

I could have sworn this thread was going to be about how Ad**** was going to help the team out for a playoff push.

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Good post.

I could have sworn this thread was going to be about how Ad**** was going to help the team out for a playoff push.
    LOL....I'm still a huge Ad**** fan.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Confidence-level wise on beating Atalanta, where are you putting yourself? 100%? How about chances we will clinch the division? What is your confidence level on that?

Quote Originally Posted by AllHailEli View Post
    Confidence-level wise on beating Atalanta, where are you putting yourself? 100%? How about chances we will clinch the division? What is your confidence level on that?
    I'm feeling pretty good about both.

Atlanta is a very good team. The Giants will need to play a great game in all 3 phases to beat them.

Similarly, I think the Giants need to win at least 2 of the next 3, and maybe all 3, to win out.

But, based on what I've seen v. 49er, Packers, and Saints, it's pretty clear that the Giants have the players to beat Atlanta, and win the division. Plus they have the experience in winning huge games, and that's one of the intangibles that the Falcons, Skins, and Cowboys lack.

So, I'd rate my confidence level "high"..... north of 75% if you want me to put a number on it.

- Emlen Tunnell

+ Reply to Thread