+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Philipsburg, PA
    Posts
    656

    Should the personalities of players on a team effect your love for the team?

    Just curious because I was reading all the posts in the thread about Tiki Barber.

    Every franchise has its bad eggs.
    Brett Favre made the packers look like an embarrassment. Michael Irvin and what he did in Dallas(albeit I like how he's turned it around).
    Some are worse than others. Santonio Holmes had problems with the steelers.

    Oj Simpson in Buffalo. Michael Vick in Philly and Atlanta. etc.
    And other players.
    LT did really bad things. Drugs, prostitution, and the infamous child case. However LT is still the greatest defensive player ever.
    Tiki Barber by some is considered the best giants RB ever. He's also probably the biggest giants D-bag ever.

    So. My question is should what these guys did and the fact of who they are as players affect your love for not just the players but the franchise as a whole?

    For example...

    What's your opinion on LT? What I'm more refferring to is because of what LT did BUT combined with the fact that he is such an icon in giants lore(albeit from what I've seen of LT it seems like he's got his act together nowadays a little bit but he trys not to act like a bum, but Tiki is just a lost cause). Does that affect your love for the franchise?
    Last edited by GentleGiant; 12-14-2012 at 06:04 PM.

  2. #2
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Waffles > Pancakes
    Posts
    34,434
    Whatever Tiki did in his personal life is his business, and it should not reflect back on the football field.

    However, you cannot dismiss what he said about Coughlin, Eli, Strahan, or whoever. THAT was football related. Great player, definitely. Great person? eh, that's debatable. It depends on the person though, so I really can't speak for everyone.
    Last edited by Rudyy; 12-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.

    Please support.
    Get well soon #80.

  3. #3
    Veteran FIFTY6G-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ARMPIT OF U.S.
    Posts
    1,988
    Quote Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
    Just curious because I was reading all the posts in the thread about Tiki Barber.

    Every franchise has its bad eggs.
    Brett Favre made the packers look like an embarrassment. Michael Irvin and what he did in Dallas(albeit I like how he's turned it around).
    Some are worse than others. Santonio Holmes had problems with the steelers.

    Oj Simpson in Buffalo. Michael Vick in Philly and Atlanta. etc.
    And other players.
    LT did really bad things. Drugs, prostitution, and the infamous child case. However LT is still the greatest defensive player ever.
    Tiki Barber by some is considered the best giants RB ever. He's also probably the biggest giants D-bag ever.

    So. My question is should what these guys did and the fact of who they are as players affect your love for not just the players but the team as a whole?
    NO! It doesnt for me. Talent is talent, however, ACTIVE players on a roster can bring discredit to a team by their on/off field actions during a season. Nobody is perfect.
    "KILL'EM ALL AND LET THE PARAMEDICS SORT'EM OUT!"


  4. #4
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    100,600
    I'm a team homer. Players, good and bad, come and go.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1








    # 80

  5. #5
    I don't think much of the scandal makers, those players who can't stay out of trouble with the law, or are domestically violent, or talk back to the coach and go to the media and run us down. I sure do cheer loudest when they make a much needed TD or runback or intercept for us.

  6. #6
    All-Pro joemorrisforprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,573
    Quote Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
    Just curious because I was reading all the posts in the thread about Tiki Barber.

    Every franchise has its bad eggs.
    Brett Favre made the packers look like an embarrassment. Michael Irvin and what he did in Dallas(albeit I like how he's turned it around).
    Some are worse than others. Santonio Holmes had problems with the steelers.

    Oj Simpson in Buffalo. Michael Vick in Philly and Atlanta. etc.
    And other players.
    LT did really bad things. Drugs, prostitution, and the infamous child case. However LT is still the greatest defensive player ever.
    Tiki Barber by some is considered the best giants RB ever. He's also probably the biggest giants D-bag ever.

    So. My question is should what these guys did and the fact of who they are as players affect your love for not just the players but the franchise as a whole?

    For example...

    What's your opinion on LT? What I'm more refferring to is because of what LT did BUT combined with the fact that he is such an icon in giants lore(albeit from what I've seen of LT it seems like he's got his act together nowadays a little bit but he's still a bum in my mind cause he never really acts like he was sorry, but Tiki is just a lost cause). Does that affect your love for the franchise?
    Here is how I rank things:

    1) I'm a Giants fan first....if a player leaves, I'll wish him well (depending on how he handled himself while a Giant).
    2) I judge a player based on what he does on the field.....if he helps the Giants win, and handled himself like a pro, that's great.
    3) Personal character is important. I like the fact that we have Eli Manning, and not Ben Roethlisberger as our QB.

    Regarding the whole LT thing......he's a reckless person. That recklessness, combined with his physical gifts and mind for the game, made him the best defensive player I ever saw. But those same attributes haven't helped him in his post-football career. I'm not going to excuse his mistakes.....but he's hurt himself alot more than he's hurt anyone else. I don't want to go off on an LT sermon, because that topic usually gets out of hand, and my views on prostitution are political.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 12-13-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

    - Emlen Tunnell

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Philipsburg, PA
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Here is how I rank things:

    1) I'm a Giants fan first....if a player leaves, I'll wish him well (depending on how he handled himself while a Giant).
    2) I judge a player based on what he does on the field.....if he helps the Giants win, and handled himself like a pro, that's great.
    3) Personal character is important. I like the fact that we have Eli Manning, and not Ben Roethlisberger as our QB.

    Regarding the whole LT thing......he's a reckless person. That recklessness, combined with his physical gifts and mind for the game, made him the best defensive player I ever saw. But those same attributes haven't helped him in his post-football career. I'm not going to excuse his mistakes.....but he's hurt himself alot more than he's hurt anyone else. I don't want to go off on an LT sermon, because that topic usually gets out of hand, and my views on prostitution are political.
    I just imagine him as just a wild animal that Parcells unleashed on offenses than a human. He's not a POS to me though but he's not Tebow either.

    The steelers defense always seemed like disciplined soldiers

    The bears defense are more like just really big men(or bears).


    where the giants is like a

    "PACK OF CRAZED DOGS, HAVE SOME FUN!"

  8. #8
    All-Pro joemorrisforprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,573
    Quote Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
    I just imagine him as just a wild animal that Parcells unleashed on offenses than a human. He's not a POS to me though but he's not Tebow either.

    The steelers defense always seemed like disciplined soldiers

    The bears defense are more like just really big men(or bears).

    where the giants is like a

    "PACK OF CRAZED DOGS, HAVE SOME FUN!"
    Lawrence Taylor was born to wreak havoc.

    I wish he had the maturity of a Carl Banks or Harry Carson, but that's not the case.

    2000 years ago, he would have been fighting lions inside the Roman Coliseum.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 12-13-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

    - Emlen Tunnell

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I'm a team homer. Players, good and bad, come and go.
    Dont think i could say it any better than this. +1

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Lawrence Taylor was born to wreak havoc.

    I wish he had the maturity of a Carl Banks or Harry Carson, but that's not the case.

    2000 years ago, he would have been fighting lions inside the Roman Coliseum.
    And this would have been his helmet:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts