+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Expanding the playoffs

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...one-nfl-season

....the poor quality of pre-season games......it's amazing how things evolve. I remember when pre-season was when teams got ready for the season and evaluated talent. They were little more than scrimmages. But then the owners got greedy and unhappy about the difficulty selling tickets to these games.....so they compelled season ticket holders to buy them. And after a long off season, the fan base being so hungry for football, hey....it made sense to take the money available from the national tv revenues (pre season games used to just be on local channels or not at all).

So.....now because people have to buy tickets to these warmups/talent evaluations, and because they are being televised....we have to worry about the quality of them. Really? They don't count.....did someone forget that? They have another purpose.

You can make a case that players are in better shape then they used to be, and that they work out year round to say that maybe 4 games is more than is needed for players to get tuned up and coaches to make decisions.....but it shouldn't be about the quality of these games.

with all the player safety talk...I am leaning towards the opinion of many players and veterans who think Thursday nights and 18 game seasons are NOT in the best interest of the players health.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Quote Originally Posted by giantyankee1976 View Post
    with all the player safety talk...I am leaning towards the opinion of many players and veterans who think Thursday nights and 18 game seasons are NOT in the best interest of the players health.
    This proposal is not about 18 game season, just additional round of playoffs.

i know, but in lieu of the whole "safety of the players," concussions, 18 games, Thursdays nights etc... we all know that the League wants to make that dollar bill y'all and will.

As much as I respect Roger, and I do, I think the Ain'ts scandal and all that was a witch hunt to put out there that any team suspected and found guilty of "bounties" will suffer harsh sanctions and punishment. Which is fine, but to suggest extending the playoffs which thus exposes players to more violence and threat of injury and simultaneously beat the drum about player safety and eliminating kick offs just doesn't sit well with me...

something stinks funny about this whole deal

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI