+ Reply to Thread

Giants vs. Falcons: What To Watch For

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/12/1...an-eli-manning

Excerpt: "As we try to do every Friday, let's take a look at a few things to watch Sunday when the New York Giants travel to the Georgia Dome for a critical game against the 11-2 Atlanta Falcons.[h=5]Giants' backs vs. Falcons' blitzers

OK, let's assume that Ahmad Bradshaw will not play. If I had to guess right now I think the Giants list him as 'doubtful,' and that Bradshaw (knee/foot) misses Sunday's game.

That means rookie David Wilson and his work-in-progress blocking skills will carry the bulk of the running load. I would expect increased snaps forKregg Lumpkin, particularly on third down, and I would also expect to see fullback Henry Hynoski in more one-back sets -- especially in passing situations.

Bradshaw is one of the best pass-blocking backs in football -- if not the absolute best. The Falcons, with linebackers Sean Witherspoon and Stephen Nicholas, and perhaps with occasional corner or safety blitzes, will probably test the remaining backs to see if they can take advantage of Bradshaw's absence. Will Wilson and Co. know there assignments, and will they be able to carry them out?

Eli Manning vs. Atlanta's secondary

It seems like Atlanta cornerback Asante Samuel has made a living baiting Manning into interceptions. In eight career games against the Giants Samuel has picked off Manning three times. Falcons' free safety Thomas Decoud has five interceptions, and Atlanta also has veteran cornerback Dunta Robinson. The Giants should be able to make some plays against a Falcons' secondary ranked 16th in the league (234.9 yards per game) against the pass. Provided, that is, Manning throws the ball to the correct team." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro
    This is where Nicks not being 100% can hurt. Think about how many times he makes those catches with his hands that look like they will be intercepted. Instead Nicks grabs the ball and makes a huge play. Now with him being slowed by injuries, those close plays could turn the other way. Play smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    This is where Nicks not being 100% can hurt. Think about how many times he makes those catches with his hands that look like they will be intercepted. Instead Nicks grabs the ball and makes a huge play. Now with him being slowed by injuries, those close plays could turn the other way. Play smart.
    Eli has to mange his progressions wisely and all will be well.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

If Wilson really is that much of a liability blocking, 3 step drops and underneath passes should be all we throw in the entire first half. Move the chains with runs and high percentage quick throws and take advantage of blitzing linebackers.

All-Pro
    I think we will see Hynoski in to block more on obvious passing downs to minimize any liability that Wilson might be in pass protection. I don't think he was horrible when called upon to block last week though. That is one of those things that will only improve with time and experience... but preferably not at the expense of losing an opportunity at the playoffs. Eli needs to get rid of the ball quicker in this game, but at the same time being careful with it... when in doubt, throw it away and live to make a play on the next down.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Get the running game going and the play action should help, If the G'men can ware these guys out and keep that O off the field. That is kind of what the Panthers did!