+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Giants' Insider: Rookies Wilson And Hosley Schooled

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1221805

Excerpt: "
    hey shared a hotel room on Saturday night, burying their noses in their playbooks in anticipation of their first NFL starts.

And then, on Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons, David Wilson and Jayron Hosley reminded everyone how much experience they have under their belts. Wilson, starting at tailback in place of injured Ahmad Bradshaw, failed to convert a critical fourth down, and managed just 55 rushing yards.

H
    osley, subbing for corner Prince Amukamara (hamstring), struggled even more, injuring his ankle on one big play and surrendering a 40-yard touchdown to WR Julio Jones early in the third quarter.

“I did some good things,” Hosley said. “There was some things I could have did better.”

Wilson called his own performance “poor.” A week ago he was dynamic, scoring three TDs against the Saints, but questions remain about his ability to gain tough yards. He didn’t answer those well.

With 6:08 to play in the first half and the Giants facing fourth-and-1 from the Falcon 32, Wilson was stuffed by Sean Weatherspoon for no gain. His playing time gradually dwindled from there.

“We didn’t do much on offense,” Wilson said. “We gotta get plays going and get drives going.”

The Falcons planned to target the rookie Hosley, Atlanta wideout Roddy White said, and they did so with 3:50 left in the first quarter. Hosley was drawn into what he thought was a screen play and rushed toward the line. Instead, WR Harry Douglas dashed past him, catching an easy 37-yard pass that set up Tony Gonzalez’s 12-yard TD three plays later.

Hosley injured his ankle on the play but tried to battle through it. He couldn’t keep up with Jones in the third quarter, when the Falcons’ speedster dashed straight by him to catch a 40-yard touchdown.

“He got behind me,” Hosley said. “I could have prevented that by keeping my outside leverage. He just made a good play.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

The only reasons i didn't love the david wilson pick was the fact i didn't think he was a tote the load RB, which in my opinion are the only RB's u take in RD1, and i didn't like the way he sometimes didn't hit the whole but tried making moves in the backfield as in the NFL u got more Defensive speed then u do in college, and it'll cost u with that hopping around often, and i didn't like the fact he dosent' seem strong enough to be a elite blocker and punish for yards as a runner, which is what a 1st rd back shoudl be able to do..

To me, hes a mid to late 2nd rd guy who got taken in the 1st rd, when there was only 2 1st rd RBs in the draft , which were Richardson and martin... Also, Wilson's hands outta backfield have been bad this yr.. He dropped almost every pass to him this yr...

Of course, he'kll have his big games from time to time, with his speed and athletic ability, but that matters very little, if he dosen't do it on a consistent basis.. Hence, why i was annoyed when people wanted to call people out after his first big week as a pro last wk..

Who in the world thought he'd never have a big wk???lol

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post

Who in the world thought he would ever get only 2 games to prove his worth.
    He's one for 2 after only 2 games, not bad me thinks.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    The only reasons i didn't love the david wilson pick was the fact i didn't think he was a tote the load RB, which in my opinion are the only RB's u take in RD1, and i didn't like the way he sometimes didn't hit the whole but tried making moves in the backfield as in the NFL u got more Defensive speed then u do in college, and it'll cost u with that hopping around often, and i didn't like the fact he dosent' seem strong enough to be a elite blocker and punish for yards as a runner, which is what a 1st rd back shoudl be able to do..

To me, hes a mid to late 2nd rd guy who got taken in the 1st rd, when there was only 2 1st rd RBs in the draft , which were Richardson and martin... Also, Wilson's hands outta backfield have been bad this yr.. He dropped almost every pass to him this yr...

Of course, he'kll have his big games from time to time, with his speed and athletic ability, but that matters very little, if he dosen't do it on a consistent basis.. Hence, why i was annoyed when people wanted to call people out after his first big week as a pro last wk..

What has Doug Martin done against the better defences he has played this year? NOTHING, you trash David Wilson like hes not a first round caliber player but your delusional, you're just mad we drafted him when he wasn't one of your "guys".

What did Doug Martin do against the same Saints defence that Wilson played against last week? NOTHING. Your biased responses are getting ridiculous.

Martin is a jack of all trades and a master at NONE. He routinely averages less the 4.0 yards per carry against the better half of defences in this league.

I love how people write of Wilson based off of his ROOKIE season. Man that Spiller probably wasn't worth a first round back out of college was he? I mean he only had 283 yards, 0 TD's 2 fumbles in just 74 attempts that year. Bust altert!!!! haha I still remember how you and Redeye were all about us drafting him and what? Don't remember you calling this top ten pick a bust? You're BIASED and delusional.

here's Martin stats against good defences (even including our terrible Giants defence

NYG - 20 carries 66 yards.

DAL - 19 carries 59 yards.

SDG (lol) - 19 carries 68 yards.

ATL - 21 carries 50 yards (yep, same defence we just played)

DEN - 18 Carries 56 Yards

NO - 9 Carries 16 Yards (The same defence you called WEAK, just this past week).

Just becasue tampa sticks with Martin doesn't make him 'special', hes on pace for more than 300 carries, frankly he would "SU-CK" as you love to say if he didn't get over 1000 yards.

All I see with Martin is persistence, and NOT brilliance as some of you Martin lovers will have people believe.

Quote Originally Posted by CGYgiant View Post
    What has Doug Martin done against the better defences he has played this year? NOTHING, you trash David Wilson like hes not a first round caliber player but your delusional, you're just mad we drafted him when he wasn't one of your "guys".

What did Doug Martin do against the same Saints defence that Wilson played against last week? NOTHING. Your biased responses are getting ridiculous.

Martin is a jack of all trades and a master at NONE. He routinely averages less the 4.0 yards per carry against the better half of defences in this league.

I love how people write of Wilson based off of his ROOKIE season. Man that Spiller probably wasn't worth a first round back out of college was he? I mean he only had 283 yards, 0 TD's 2 fumbles in just 74 attempts that year. Bust altert!!!! haha I still remember how you and Redeye were all about us drafting him and what? Don't remember you calling this top ten pick a bust? You're BIASED and delusional.

here's Martin stats against good defences (even including our terrible Giants defence

NYG - 20 carries 66 yards.

DAL - 19 carries 59 yards.

SDG (lol) - 19 carries 68 yards.

ATL - 21 carries 50 yards (yep, same defence we just played)

DEN - 18 Carries 56 Yards

NO - 9 Carries 16 Yards (The same defence you called WEAK, just this past week).

Just becasue tampa sticks with Martin doesn't make him 'special', hes on pace for more than 300 carries, frankly he would "SU-CK" as you love to say if he didn't get over 1000 yards.

All I see with Martin is persistence, and NOT brilliance as some of you Martin lovers will have people believe.
    Doug Martin is running over 1200 yards this season....thats exceptional for a rookie in a so called passing league. Martin has even caught 38 balls for 400 yards on top of his 1200 yards rushing this season. ALSO Martin has ONLY 1 FUMBLE throughout the whole year....Wilson coughed it up in his 1st drive lol. Anyone who is downplaying what Martin has done for a terrible organization, is nothing but a hater. Wilson has all the opportunity to thrive in this offense....Bradshaw and Brown are injury proned guys and most teams gamplan to stop Eli. Doug Martin runs against 8 in the box waaaay often than Wilson will ever see.

Doug Martin is a star and a football player. He has great vision you can not teach. He can catch out the backfield and shows the ability to be a workhorse back and can run between the tackles and to the outside. And Martin being able to hang onto the ball as a ROOKIE Is a bonus. Guys we messed up sitting back and taking Wilson. Doug Martin almost reminds me of Emmitt Smith without the killer O-Line and the dominant passing game.

Doug Martin is also playing without Pro Bowl Guards Carl Nicks and Davin Joseph. When a rookie RB has to face 8 in the box on a consistent basis with a makeshift line, it's not really surprising that his YPC average is low. The Bucs are struggling in recent weeks but you can't deny that the presence of guys like Doug Martin and Mark Barron have made significant contributions to what Greg Schiano envisions for his team.

Wilson isn't going to see many opportunities if his pass blocking doesn't significantly improve nor will Gilbride tailor his offense so Wilson has the best chance. I hope he can make some contributions soon.

David Wilson is quickly turning into a polarizing figure here. When will it reach Eli type of status?
    Close or you hit the bricks

Quote Originally Posted by sharick88 View Post
    David Wilson is quickly turning into a polarizing figure here. When will it reach Eli type of status?
    Speaking as someone who supported Eli, and supports Wilson, I think people will be laughing at the Wilson haters down the road, too.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Speaking as someone who supported Eli, and supports Wilson, I think people will be laughing at the Wilson haters down the road, too.
    Wilson haters? No one is hating on Wilson. We all Want TOO SEE HIM DO WELL...In fact I was excited about some of his runs in the preseason. We are not haters...we are growing a little impatient because we see how good Martin is doing and even Alfred Morris.

Well again, I think people missed the point of the Wilson pick. So here are a few points

(1) Martin was off the board when we picked. So whine all you want about him, but it is irrelevant to the topic of David Wilson.

However(2), people need to recognize that Wilson is almost 3 years younger than Martin. He will be about the same age Martin is now in the final year of his rookie contract. The Giants were clearly drafting for the future and the long term. 3 years age difference at RB is MASSIVE. Few people expected him to outplay Martin from the gates simply because Doug was more pro ready. There is little doubt that Wilson at age 21 was better then Martin was at age 21. So the future is bright, we just have to be patient.

(3)Wilson has been the best kick returner in the league, BY FAR. That was a problem area for us. So we needed to address it as well as RB. Which we did. Lets be honest here, Wilson's kickoff returns helps us win more games. You can certainly say the Saints game was won almost single handedly by him and he had big K/O returns that helped set us up in 2 other games for scores that would eventually be the margin of victory. You cant give him all the credit obviously, but he it also isnt completely unfair to say our record would be 7-7 or even 6-8 without his amazing returns. So lets not completely bash him to pieces.

(4) Martin went to a run 1st team with a predominantly 1 back system. They rely heavily on the run and feed the back the ball until the defense stops him. We are not a run 1st team and we do not feed backs often. In the 1st quarter vs Altlanta, Wilson was averaging almost 8 yards per carry, then we stopped giving him the ball and put Lumpkin into the game. Tampa would never do that. So It is really like comparing apples to potatoes. We have seen this for years in this offense. How many times has the hot RB been taken out of the game? I can remember several examples of times when AB was hot and we put BJ in, who wasnt or visa versa. I dont like to criticize, but I have never understood the philosophy behind that. If you have a young kid averaging almost 8ypc, you dont stop giving him the ball, especially when the QB is having a bad day.

5) this article also talks about Hosley and some of the people in this forum who didnt like the Wilson pick LOVED the Hosely pick. I find it curious that they leave his poor play out of the conversation.