Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How desperate have we americans become?

How desperate have we americans become?

Just recently my buddy came back with his reserve unit from Iraq. Anyway, he needs a job since the company he used to work for went out of business. So, he goes to UPS where he worked back in 92. He worked on the sort isle and made 9.50 an hour part time- 25hr week. He goes back (since he left on good terms) and is offered the SAME job (since he had two years experience) at the SAME rate he made in 1992! 9.50 an hour is all they are paying for the exact same job 16 years later!!!!!! can you believe that crap? I can't. I guess since I am doing alright I don't think about the rest of the world sometimes. That's just HOSED IMO. </P>

Thoughts?</P>

Re: How desperate have we americans become?

my thoughts are- be happy with everything you are given, from the smallest rusted out car to the biggest luxurious house, because there are many many people in the world who would give their lives so their families could have a taste of the lifestyle we have in north america. Treasure everything you have because to someone in the world those things you treasure are not even consideredpossible.</P>

</P>

this was not directed at themaker of this thread or the friend you mentioned, just mythoughts.</P>
    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

I understand. I don't condone any criminality, ever, drug use etc. But I'll tell you. You can't feed a family of four on the same money one made back in 1992. You can't pay a mortgage and put healthy food on the table for 9.50 an hour. If you think the military cares about you, they don't. I've been there. Some people are almost forced onto welfare. If not, well then it's two jobs where one never sees his kids. What kind of life is that? I had to lend my bud 4k last week just so he could catch up. So I guess I am taking this more personal and looking at it from the other side for once in about ten years. Anyway, it's gross. What's even funnier is that people actually have this wild notion that a president will change it all. It's a joke.

Veteran

[quote user="Pierce4Pres"]I understand. I don't condone any criminality, ever, drug use etc. But I'll tell you. You can't feed a family of four on the same money one made back in 1992. You can't pay a mortgage and put healthy food on the table for 9.50 an hour. If you think the military cares about you, they don't. I've been there. Some people are almost forced onto welfare. If not, well then it's two jobs where one never sees his kids. What kind of life is that? I had to lend my bud 4k last week just so he could catch up. So I guess I am taking this more personal and looking at it from the other side for once in about ten years. Anyway, it's gross. What's even funnier is that people actually have this wild notion that a president will change it all. It's a joke.[/quote]</P>

It's a sad situation and there are many of americans working minimum wage jobs,just to feed their families these days. I live in Northeast Pa and unless you're a doctor or a lawyer or a nurse,the average jobs pay minimum wageor slightly higher.It's a rough economy up here and almost every household works 2 jobs a piece.Unfortunately it seems like it's becoming the way of the world anymore.I hope Obama can help us get out of this situation,but I'm not holding my breath.I have a cousin that served in Iraq.He works 3 jobs,since he came back.he tells me that sometimes,he'd rather be over in Iraq because atleast he got some sort of sleep in Iraq. It's sad.All we can do is be there to support eachother,sometimes just having a shoulder to cry on helps in these tough times.[]</P>

Veteran

American's don't know what poor is. The poorest of poor (aside from the homeless) have a car, a TV, and most likely a computer in the house.

[quote user="BluTri10"]American's don't know what poor is. The poorest of poor (aside from the homeless) have a car, a TV, and most likely a computer in the house.[/quote]

Suppose you have a point. But we're used to things getting better, and that not the case these days.

I guess the corporations are hurting too, and if they can get someone to work for a 1992 rate, why would they pay more and risk closing up? It's sick, I agree. . .I think things will get better, but "when" is the question.

this is a tuff post to comment on. i would have to say if your buddy was in the military that he could go and get a goverment job some where, like the post office or police department, my father was is in the military for 8 years and gov't jobs always give the jobs to vets before civilians. so tell him to look in that field.up here in big flats ny, we have two black hawk building facilities. i believe that they just got the new contract to make all of obama's new heilcotpers, "with stimilus money""??weired.. so tell him to come over here and apply. www.sacusa.com . for the homeless, its a sad situation, but i do believe they should and could go out and try to find a job, there is so many programs around to help with these situations, or is it just lazy? i dunno, but having two kids a wife and two dogs, we have been in hardships but were always working our asses off to find a new job if something was to happen with the jobs we have now.. but for the stimuls package i think is bogus, and why should we bail out these big corprates..example the automakers are asking for money because no one has money or can get a loan to buy their cars..so why should I the tax payer give them money to make more cars so that they have a huge surplus, and we can't still buy them and they will ask for more money the same way now.. For the mortage crisis, its the Banks and the Homeowners faults why the housing market sucks... The banks were so lienent to give people a 100,000 mortgage they couldn't afford, and the homeowener knew that, and now their for help, come on, live within your means...I know my wife and I are going to be first time home owners, well we wanted to this year, but now its going to be so hard because of whats going on..I would never own a 200,000 dollar house or mortgage, or a car over 10,000 dollars... Ridiculus.....why in the hell would anyone pay 3000 dollars a month on a house for 25 years...thats alotta money.. and 400 dollars a month for a car, comeon stay within your means, i always said, if i don't have the cash for it, i didn't need it anyways...

Veteran

Their is no way I can respond to this thread without being political and therefor being banned.

[quote user="BluTri10"]American's don't know what poor is. The poorest of poor (aside from the homeless) have a car, a TV, and most likely a computer in the house.[/quote]</P>

Thats an unfair observation. People are GOING poor now. There's a big effing difference. People who were making ends meet are now unable to support themselves and god forbid they have a family, all because of nothing they can themselves control. They didn't singlehandedly cause a recession. And is going back to school an option? Not when college costs more than 6months salary! What a joke.</P>
    Oderint Dum Metuant

[quote user="jints10"]Their is no way I can respond to this thread without being political and therefor being banned.
    [/quote]</P>

i 2nd that. they (the mods,)got me a while ago for getting into a heated, political, religous, thread. sometimes they are nice about it and will just lock the thread before it goes to far. but other times if you go too far, watch out!</P>

Closed Thread