+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confusion....

Question Confusion....

I wish someone with 100% correct knowledge could explain to me in simple terms the situation we are in concerning playoffs....I've read through the posts and there seems to be alot of confusing "I'm right and your wrong" info. All this seed, wildcard, playoff talk is confusing. There has to be some definitive rules and answers, not guesses. I just wanna know truthfully what has to happen for us to be in the postseason.....any help would be appreciated. Thanx

Win and we're in (thanks repeatedchamps for correcting me).

Take a look at this link and the "Tie-Breaker Procedures" it should help you out.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

The biggest thing to understand is that THERE ARE DIFFERENT TIE BREAKERS WITHIN THE DIVISION THAN WITHIN THE CONFERENCE.....

This is where all the confusion is stemming from so whereas the Giants would lose the division to the Redskins or Cowboys if they ended up tied with either they still would win the a wildcard spot if tied with either the Redskins or the Cowboys do to a better conference record.

So the most important thing to understand and clarify is that the tie breaking criteria is different when talking about a "Division Championship" versus a "Wild Card Conference Berth."

(took me an hour to explain this to my sister yesterday)

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Win and we're in (thanks repeatedchamps for correcting me).
    I think it might be more than that because, right now the Giants (8-6) are sitting at the 9th seed with the Washington, Vikings, Bears and Cowboys all at 8-6 ahead of them. But winning out is a must none the less!

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Blue View Post
    I think it might be more than that because, right now the Giants (8-6) are sitting at the 9th seed with the Washington, Vikings, Bears and Cowboys all at 8-6 ahead of them. But winning out is a must none the less!
    Incorrect.....strictly speaking with regards to a Wild Card berth they are tied with Washington, Dallas, Vikings and Bears......however the Giants have the best conference record of all 4 teams and with two wins this would still hold true and the Giants would get the WC nod.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayC View Post
    Incorrect.....strictly speaking with regards to a Wild Card berth they are tied with Washington, Dallas, Vikings and Bears......however the Giants have the best conference record of all 4 teams and with two wins this would still hold true and the Giants would get the WC nod.
    If that is the case, why are they listed as the 9th seed and not the 6th? Since right now they have the better conference record.

Because the season isn't over........Wildcard positioning doesn't officially get set until the season is over and all conference games have been played.....but again the tiebreaking procedures are different within the division than within the conference.....and no one is "officially" ranked better than anyone else with the same record until all games have been played.

This should help: http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Another key component to remember is that the Cowboys and Skins play each other last game of the year.....ensuring one or the other of another loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Blue View Post
    We beat the Vikings and Bears in tie breakers (conference record).

Found this at CBS.com on their Playoff Grid:

Washington is ahead of the N.Y. Giants and Dallas in the NFC East based on head to head record (2-1 to the Giants' 2-2 and the Cowboys' 1-2). Dallas is ahead of the N.Y. Giants in the NFC East based on division record (3-2 to the Giants' 2-3). Minnesota is ahead of Dallas based on conference record (6-5 to the Cowboys' 5-5). Chicago is ahead of Dallas based on head to head (1-0).