+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Lawrence Tynes: a portrait in mediocrity

I used to dog this guy all the time, and stopped after the Giants won it again in 2011. I figured why bother beating that drum?

But yesterday, I was reminded again of why Tynes bothers me so much.

Yes, he's generally accurate.....but that's about it. As shown yesterday, he is capable of missing from anywhere on the field.

And, even worse, he's basically hopeless from outside 49 yards. Coughlin couldn't even send him out there to attempt a 50 yarder in a freaking dome.

Granted, his FG % looks good.....but when you consider that other NFL kickers are counted on to try long field goals which Tynes can't make, it's less impressive.

Is Tynes awful?.......no.

Is he good?......very debatable.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

This is what you choose to focus on after that loss? Eh, ok.

Tynes is the least of our problems.

It could be a lot worse, but no, he isn't very good at all.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GMENAGAIN View Post

Was the least of our problems yesterday. But some day he's probably the biggest, again. Don't forget he has already cost the Giants 1 game this season (1st eagles) if not more. I don't know why they stick with him unless they're blaming DeOssie or Weatherford.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaggs View Post
    Was the least of our problems yesterday. But some day he's probably the biggest, again. Don't forget he has already cost the Giants 1 game this season (1st eagles) if not more. I don't know why they stick with him unless they're blaming DeOssie or Weatherford.
    If you think that Tynes cost us the Eagles game you know absolutely nothing about football.

He isn't the biggest of problems, but he is mediocre. I'm scared of getting him to kick a 30-40 yd field goal.....In desperate measures, I'd be afraid... really afraid.

Veteran
    If you think that Tynes cost us the Eagles game you know absolutely nothing about football.
    I know enough about football to know that if you lose by 2 points, and your kicker comes up short on a last second kick (after shanking his first attempt), your kicker cost you the game. Lets not also forget that had Favre not been an interception happy QB Tynes would have cost the Giants their first trip to the Super Bowl.

I'm not focusing on it....I'm bringing up the fact that he's just not that good.

He played a role in the loss. Missed a chip shot that would have made it 7-3.

Tynes is a direct cause of the Giants suffering the worst shutout by a defending Super Bowl Champ.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    He isn't the biggest of problems, but he is mediocre. I'm scared of getting him to kick a 30-40 yd field goal.....In desperate measures, I'd be afraid... really afraid.
    In desperate measures he's been pretty clutch. Except for the Philly game..that wasnt his fault. SO YEAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    In desperate measures he's been pretty clutch. Except for the Philly game..that wasnt his fault. SO YEAH.
    There are still about 10-15 kickers I'd rather take before I'd take Tynes. Probably even more.