View Poll Results: What grade does the Giants offseason deserve overall?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    12 21.82%
  • B

    35 63.64%
  • C

    7 12.73%
  • D

    1 1.82%
  • F

    0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1

    Grading the Giants offseason overall

    How would you grade the Giants offseason overall to this point? You're grade should take into account:

    -Coaching moves (firing Coughlin and promoting McAdoo

    -Free agency

    -Draft

    -How their offseason thus far compares to the other 31 teams'.

  2. #2
    It was close for me, but I chose "A" over "B" (narrow margin).

    First off I think they did the right thing by getting rid of Coughlin. I know many disagree, and I get all the arguments about how he has not had enough talent to work with, etc, but the team just wasn't responding to him anymore, and the in-game decisions weren't as good last year as they have been in the past. It was time for a change. I give this an A.

    I like McAdoo so far, but the jury is still out. Nonetheless, I liked the decision to remain in-house.

    I think free agency has to be given a solid A. The D was last year's biggest problem by far, and they addressed it in a big way. They may have overpaid a bit for Olivier Vernon, but that's not the end of the world. Getting JPP for less than he was offered by the Cardinals was big. Snacks is a huge signing... one of the best tackles in the league. And Jenkins is also a big pull. Just an overall very good job in free agency. Letting Randle go was another bonus- I never liked him that much.

    I think the draft was a B, maybe a B+. I thought passing on Tunsil to pick Apple was bad, and then not trading down was also bad. They get a C- from me for the first round. However, the rest of the draft was a solid A or A+ for me, so overall it was good.

    In terms of how this offseason compares to other teams, I have to regard it as an A. I don't see many teams out there who look to be more improved on paper than the Giants.

    Thoughts?

  3. #3
    It's an A. The # of holes they filled and then putting together a solid draft, plus making Mac the HC are all just really top notch. Obviously the jury is still out on all the players and coaches, but as of right now it's an A and I don't see how anyone could argue.

    About Tom Coughlin though, they technically didn't fire him, he stepped down. I doubt we will ever really know what happened. Going with Mac instead of outside was HUGE though. History shows that a HC only really has 4 years to win a title with a team. Eli only has 4-5 years left. It would have wasted time going outside for a new Coach. Mac will ride with Eli and if we don't win another title both will leave at the same time and the rebuilding will start.

    We signed 3 of the best free agents out there and all three were huge needs, plus a whole bunch of other FAs. We also kept JPP.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (75) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (43) -> ???
    "Next man up"

    The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

  4. #4
    I think it's very clear that they fired him. "Allowing him to resign" was basically a courtesy they extended him, which was they least they could do given all of his past contributions. The choice to leave was not his though. I think that's abundantly clear.

  5. #5
    I don't get how you can assign a grade to something that we haven't seen a single result from. What's the basis of it?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I don't get how you can assign a grade to something that we haven't seen a single result from. What's the basis of it?
    Based on how well you THINK they did. We could go back and grade the 2012 off season (I give it a C), but that wouldn't be as fun...or relevant.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
    I think it's very clear that they fired him. "Allowing him to resign" was basically a courtesy they extended him, which was they least they could do given all of his past contributions. The choice to leave was not his though. I think that's abundantly clear.
    That's why I said "technically". I just won't knock the team for firing a hall of fame coach based on my assumption. Either way, hiring Mac was a good move.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (75) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (43) -> ???
    "Next man up"

    The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I don't get how you can assign a grade to something that we haven't seen a single result from. What's the basis of it?
    Common sense.

  8. #8
    Veteran Razur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,882
    Off season grading?.....The hiring of Mac as HC, total restructure of coaching. Roster cuts and re-signings,FA pickups, Draft selections....can't be really evaluated until the team is on the grid -iron in action IMO. "On paper "..its looks...promising.

  9. #9
    Change in strength and conditioning coaches is hopefully the best move they made.
    Do not feed the trolls.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
    It was close for me, but I chose "A" over "B" (narrow margin).

    First off I think they did the right thing by getting rid of Coughlin. I know many disagree, and I get all the arguments about how he has not had enough talent to work with, etc, but the team just wasn't responding to him anymore, and the in-game decisions weren't as good last year as they have been in the past. It was time for a change. I give this an A.

    I like McAdoo so far, but the jury is still out. Nonetheless, I liked the decision to remain in-house.

    I think free agency has to be given a solid A. The D was last year's biggest problem by far, and they addressed it in a big way. They may have overpaid a bit for Olivier Vernon, but that's not the end of the world. Getting JPP for less than he was offered by the Cardinals was big. Snacks is a huge signing... one of the best tackles in the league. And Jenkins is also a big pull. Just an overall very good job in free agency. Letting Randle go was another bonus- I never liked him that much.

    I think the draft was a B, maybe a B+. I thought passing on Tunsil to pick Apple was bad, and then not trading down was also bad. They get a C- from me for the first round. However, the rest of the draft was a solid A or A+ for me, so overall it was good.

    In terms of how this offseason compares to other teams, I have to regard it as an A. I don't see many teams out there who look to be more improved on paper than the Giants.

    Thoughts?
    I feel you've provide good logic in support of your rating. While I rated "B" (B+ was not an option), I'm as optimistic as I've been in quite some time.

    The reason(s) for hesitating to give an "A" includes failure to address the STs coordinator (Tom Quinn) who seems incapable of eliminating lapses on defensive punt and KO returns, costing us severely on more than one occassion. (I hold my breath every time we punt.)

    The Eli Apple selection was another concern. While I'm hopefull, I'm not convinced this selection was the best there was to offer at #10. (Could not be happier with the remaining picks.)

    Failure to address the OL is another.

    Even when considering the above, I see little reason why this offseason wasn't one of the best we've seen in quite some time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts