5 45.45%

0 0%

3 27.27%

0 0%

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A look back at the drafts

Always hard to judge a draft right away, so in that light how about some older drafts.

2000-2009 which draft was the best?

2000:
    1-RB-Ron Dayne
    2-DT-Cornelius Griffin
    3-WR-Ron Dixon
    4-LB-Brandon Short
    5-CB-Ralph Brown
    6-LB-Dhani Jones
    7-DE-Jeremiah Parker

Dayne was a bust as expected. Griffin was really good, but didn't stick around. Dixon got hurt just as it seemed the light might be coming on. Short, Jones were serviceable players. Brown had a surprisingly long career, but on other teams. Then Parker.....

2001:
    1-CB-Will Allen
    3-CB-Will Peterson
    4-DE-Cedric Scott
    4-QB-Jesse Palmer
    5-K-John Markham
    5-WR-Jonathan Carter
    7-DT-Ross Kolodziej

The Wills looked like great picks early but burned out quick with the Giants. Allen was a solid but unspectacular corner in his time here. Scott, Markham and Kolodziej did nothing of note as I recall. Palmer was Collin's Nassib, barely played, but didn't look all that good when he did. Carter had a couple of decent seasons with the Jets if I recall correctly.

2002:
    1-TE-Jeremy Shockey
    2-WR-Tim Carter
    3-T-Jeff Hatch
    5-LB Nick Greisen
    6-LB-Weley Mallard
    7-WR-Daryl Jones
    7-LB-Quincy Monk

Shockey was great for the first couple of years here, good for the rest. Never liked him much, but he was a good player. Carter was given more opportunities than he earned. Hatch was a waste. Greisen gave the Giants some solid play. Mallard was a waste. Jones played a bit when everyone was hurt and quickly showed why he needed everyone to be hurt in order to play. Monk (RIP) didn't do anything but seemed to be around the team for a few seasons.

2003:
    1-DT-William Joseph
    2-DE-Osi Umenyiora
    3-TE-Visanthe Shiancoe
    4-CB-Roderick Babers
    5-OL-David Diehl
    6-WR-Willie Ponder
    6-CB-Frank Walker
    6-WR-David Tyree
    7-S-Charles Drake
    7-C-Wayne Lucier
    7-WR-Kevin Walter

Joseph was a bust. Osi made up for it. Shiancoe had to go to Min to play. Babers I think was cut before his first camp. Diehl was a solid OL for a long time. Ponder was a really good KR, but nothing else. Walker was a tease and a nutjob. Tyree was a great special teamer and had one glorious day in the sun at WR. Drake did nothing. Lucier was the Daryl Jones of OL. Walter turned into a really good WR and the best WR of the 3 they drafted, he just did it on other teams.

2004:
    1-QB-Philip Rivers
    2-G-Chris Snee
    4-LB-Reggie Torbor
    5-S-Gibril Wilson
    6-WR-Jamaar Taylor
    7-T-Drew Strojny
    7-DE-Isaac Hilton

Rivers got us Eli. Snee was a great guard for a while. Torbor played poorly for several seasons. Wilson looked great early but fizzled quickly. Taylor was a tease and never got healthy. Strjny and Hilton didn't do anything.

2005:
    2-CB-Corey Webster
    3-DE-Justin Tuck
    4-RB-Brandon Jacobs
    6-DE-Eric Moore

4 picks, 3 great players that were key contributors to Super Bowls. Great draft.

2006:
    1-DE-Mathias Kiwanuka
    2-WR-Sinorice Moss
    3-LB-Gerris Wilkinson
    4-DT-Barry Cofield
    4-T-Guy Whimper
    5-S-Charlie Peprah
    7-CB-Garrick McPhearson

Kiwanuka was good but not as good as he could have been if they just left him at DE. Moss, what happens if you draft Daryl Jones in the 2nd round. Wilkinson had that one play when he almost provided good coverage. Cofield was a solid player for the Giants before moving on. Whimper has had a really nice career as a 3rd tackle, mostly with other teams. Peprah was a solid starting S for Green Bay. McPhearson was fast, but didn't play.

2007:
    1-CB-Aaron Ross
    2-WR-Steve Smith
    3-DT-Jay Alford
    4-LB-Zak DeOssie
    5-TE-Kevin Boss
    6-OL-Adam Koets
    7-S-Michael Johnson
    7-RB-Ahmad Bradshaw

Great draft all but Koets contributed early. Ross was a solid CB. Smith was a great move the chains WR until he was hurt. Alford looked promising and sacked Brady, too bad about the injuries. DeOssie never became the LBer they hoped, but the service as a long snapper has made this a solid 4th round pick. Koets never did anything. Johnson was a poor starting safety for a short time. Bradshaw was the Giants biggest steal since Armstead.

2008:
    1-S-Kenny Phillips
    2-CB-Terrell Thomas
    3-WR-Mario Manningham
    4-LB-Bryan Kehl
    5-LB-Jonathan Goff
    6-QB-Andre Woodson
    6-DE-Robert Henderson

Phillips looked like a great pick early on, but his knee issues quickly ended his career. Thomas was the same. Mario was good grab in the 3rd and 3rd option at WR. Surprised Kehl ever played anywhere. Goff was looking like he would be the starting MLB for a while, until he was hurt. Woodson and Henderson did nothing.

2009:
    1-WR-Hakeem Nicks
    2-LB-Clint Sintim
    2-T-Will Beatty
    3-WR-Ramses Barden
    3-TE-Travis Beckum
    4-RB-Andre Brown
    5-QB-Rhett Bomar
    6-CB-DeAndre Wright
    7-CB-Stony Woodson

Nicks looked like he would become the Giants all time greatest WR, then the injuries, real shame. Sintim was a poor fit and a poor player, just didn't have the explosion to be threat in the NFL. Beatty was an average starting LT for a couple of seasons, maybe a bit below average. Beckum might have turned into a decent player if he stayed healthy and was drafted by a team with a way to use his skills, wasted pick for the Giants. Barden had that Panthers game..... Brown was the walking wounded from before he was drafted. Looked solid when he played which was rare. Bomar, Wright and Woodson didn't do anything.

My pick would be the 2005 draft with Web, Tuck and Jacobs.

Veteran
    I would have to say 2005. To be able to draft 3 big contributors to a super bowl winning team when you only have four picks and no first rounder is pretty incredible. Accorsi backed up his gamble the previous year with this draft.

Yeah 2005 has to be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    Yeah 2005 has to be it.
    Which do you think was the worst?

Quote Originally Posted by jmike View Post
    Which do you think was the worst?
    I want to say 2000 simply because Ralph Brown is part of the draft class, but maybe it was 2001. You made a good point about the Will's seemed like good draft picks but they weren't. And out of the rest of the class the only guy I remember was Palmer doing a stint on The Bachelor.

I want to say 2000 simply because Ralph Brown is part of the draft class, but maybe it was 2001. You made a good point about the Will's seemed like good draft picks but they weren't. And out of the rest of the class the only guy I remember was Palmer doing a stint on The Bachelor.
    I'd agree with 2001. I liked Allen a lot more than most, but he was solid at best and the rest of the draft produced a whole lot of nothing.

Why such dislike of Ralph Brown? Am I forgetting something. He played for 10 years on 4 teams. Made a decent career for himself. Even scored his only career TD with the Giants in 2003.

I has to be 2004. You got your 2x SB MVP and Franchise QB that hasn't missed a game since. Plus one of the best Guards in football for 8 years. After that I'd say 2005 and 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by jmike View Post
    I'd agree with 2001. I liked Allen a lot more than most, but he was solid at best and the rest of the draft produced a whole lot of nothing.

Why such dislike of Ralph Brown? Am I forgetting something. He played for 10 years on 4 teams. Made a decent career for himself. Even scored his only career TD with the Giants in 2003.
    I have one indelible memory of Ralph Brown. I think it was after the 23-0 playoff loss to the Panthers in 2005. The camera spots Ralph Brown walking off the field with some Panthers laughing it up with this big *** smile on his face as if the loss meant absolutely nothing to the guy. I've despised him ever since.

I have one indelible memory of Ralph Brown. I think it was after the 23-0 playoff loss to the Panthers in 2005. The camera spots Ralph Brown walking off the field with some Panthers laughing it up with this big *** smile on his face as if the loss meant absolutely nothing to the guy. I've despised him ever since.
    Ah, makes sense. Much the same reason I hate Shockey for laughing at the dropped TD pass in the 49ers play-off game.

2004 was the best. Eli and snee can't get much Better than that.

2009 was probably the most disappointing. Nicks and beatty showed promise and fell off the face of the earth. Clint sintim goes down as the worst 2nd round draft pick in giants history with shady Mccoy sitting on the board. Tavis beckum amother player who did nothing.