+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran

What do we do in the draft?

Hi Everyone,

Well, this team sure feels full of holes. Oline is bad, dline is old, no big time linebacker for how long now? What do the Giants do in the upcoming draft? All I know is whomever comes with our 1st pick, they have to contribute immediately. I don't want to see them starting to show flashes in week 15. They may not have to start but they need to contribute game 1.

I would love to see a big time linebacker. Someone who can assist the line with the rush. I don't follow college foootball very closely but I hear a lot of talk about the guy from Notre Dame, Mantai Taeo. It sounds like he is going really high, like top 10. Could the Giants make a move to get him? Is that possible?

What do you guys think? Let's hear your ideas. Thanks everyone for the time.

Let go, Giants!!!

We certainly need help in a number of different areas, concern is going tto be with which of our FAs we keep and what the whole picture looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoGoGo View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Well, this team sure feels full of holes. Oline is bad, dline is old, no big time linebacker for how long now? What do the Giants do in the upcoming draft? All I know is whomever comes with our 1st pick, they have to contribute immediately. I don't want to see them starting to show flashes in week 15. They may not have to start but they need to contribute game 1.

I would love to see a big time linebacker. Someone who can assist the line with the rush. I don't follow college foootball very closely but I hear a lot of talk about the guy from Notre Dame, Mantai Taeo. It sounds like he is going really high, like top 10. Could the Giants make a move to get him? Is that possible?

What do you guys think? Let's hear your ideas. Thanks everyone for the time.

Let go, Giants!!!
    They will D-line if available since Osi is finished and Tuck is looking old and uninterested.

Also, it looks like they will have to pick up another corner. Webster seems to be getting burned by a big play almost every game. Hopefully he is just having a down year but at his age, he might be done.

The offensive line is also pretty bad so I don't even know where to start with that. IMO, Bass has been a disappointment and isn't worthy of the contract he got. Diehl needs to hang em up. Snee is not looking like his old self. Pft, they might have to blow up that line.

There are a bunch of other holes but I think these three need to be addressed first. With their Cap situation, the Giants don't even have much to work with in free agency. I am glad I don't have to make these decisions cause they aren't going to be easy.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JB456 View Post
    They will D-line if available since Osi is finished and Tuck is looking old and uninterested.

Also, it looks like they will have to pick up another corner. Webster seems to be getting burned by a big play almost every game. Hopefully he is just having a down year but at his age, he might be done.

The offensive line is also pretty bad so I don't even know where to start with that. IMO, Bass has been a disappointment and isn't worthy of the contract he got. Diehl needs to hang em up. Snee is not looking like his old self. Pft, they might have to blow up that line.

There are a bunch of other holes but I think these three need to be addressed first. With their Cap situation, the Giants don't even have much to work with in free agency. I am glad I don't have to make these decisions cause they aren't going to be easy.
    Sums it up perfectly. Let's not forget that besides the free agents the Giants will have to address, JPP and Nicks may need to be extended at some point soon as well.
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Quote Originally Posted by JB456 View Post

+1....we've got a ton of holes that need to be addressed

I'd go with LB just because a dominant elite LB that lines up the D could really cover a lot of holes on it. This O-line is a disaster though, it needs major work.

I say we go DE, OT, DT, CB, LB, OG, S......in that order.

Teo is going top 5 maybe 3 there is no chance we make a play on him IMO. We have to address oline in this draft(I have said that the last 3 drafts). Just hoping thereis a stud olineman when we pick. Unfortunately it willprobablybe a dline man which IMO isn't a glaring need , we just need a better d coordinator. Stud lbr would be nice, as well as websters replacement. This team isn't as talentless as some ppl say we just have horribly unimaginative coordinators. If we make the playoffs and go deep I could see oline being a distinct possibility with players like C Barrett jones,C Khalid Holmes, OT Rick Wagner going around late 1 early 2. If we miss the playoffs I would bet on a skill position like de or db such Ezeikiel Ansah(sp?) or Eric Reid S lsu. I would love for chad jones to tryout with us as well as he is looking ready to play. we definitely need secondary help and don't forget m.bennet is on a 1 year deal so if we don't come to terms with him eifert could be a distinct possibility.

Starter
    Too many unanswered questions at this time:
    There are players that can restructure their contracts so they are more cap freindly.
    There are players that although are very good have too frequently been injured. Is it worth keeping them?

Therefore, at this time, I can only share my opinion of our need positions (not in any order of priority).
    Side Note: I know we frequently draft BPA regardless of position. However, I hope BPA is at our need positions.

Looking at the Offense (Need OL, OL and RB, Need more creativity in play calling, Need to consider hurry up offense when appropriate so defenses cannot make personnel changes):

RB: Bradshaw is very good but unfortuantely has chronic injury. Wilson offers so much with his explosive potential in acquiring good field position with the Kickoffs. For these two reasons, I would not be surprised if the Giants look at add another RB in a later round to join the stable.

OL: We need to draft two OL, one T/G and one G/C. I like Locklear. He was good until he got hurt. He can continue to hold the RT position until our youth is ready. We have Mosley, McCants, and Brewer. They are all young and still have to be groomed. DD probably will get cut? Snee has alot of mileage on him.

QB: Is fine. FB: Is fine.
    TE: Bennett, Pascoe, and this year drafted rookie. This is what I feel is a Nice to have not a Need to have. Our offense doesn't call many TE pass plays as our TEs have to block to help the OL frequently. A Pass Catching TE would be a nice to have and another weapon for Eli. Dont know if we have the cap space to investiate any potential FA TEs or if we draft a good pass catching TE? With all the needs we have, this isnt a priority. It depends is the best I can say now as we don't know if Bennett resigns. I think he will though.

WR: We have enough WRs. If Nicks is healthy it changes the dynamics of our team. He is our best WR, period! Cruz is a great compliment. Since we dont have a Pass Catching TE, it is imperitive to have a very good #3WR to help create mismatches and exploit defenses to open things up for thepass and run game. Although our #3WR doesn't put fear into opposition, Hixon is stable as our #3WR. I don't know if our schemes are too over complicated or what but I would have like Randle to step up a little quicker. I like Jernigan as he is quick. He has been underutilized. I blame that on our OC. Why can JJ be used creatively, say in an occasional end around or some type quick seam pass? I think Barden played well when he came in to replace an injured Nicks. It is just that he appears too inconsistant. looking good at times. It jut seems like there is a fall off at WR after Nicks and Cruz?
    I hope Randle becomes a valued #3WR next year and JJ gets a shot too.

Look at Defense (Need CB, MLB, OLB, DT, DE):

I think if we had a different DC we may get better level of effectiveness with our players. I just feel that he doesnt mix it up and is very vanilla. Offenses observe our basic scheme and know how to play call against it and it appears to be predictable. Look at what the Redskins DC called against Eli when we played them. He skated circles around our DC!!!

I know we havent tackled well, havent stopped the run well and have given up alot of 20+ yard pass plays.

We are too thin at CB!!! WE have Webster who has been beat too frequently, Prince who looks good but is injury prone, and Hosley that is a rookie learning the ropes. I feel we need to draft a cover CB that will add depth to our depleted CB stable. TT probably will not be back?
    We need 10 DBs, 5 CBs and 5 Safeties. We are set at Safety with KP, Rolle, Brown, Hill and Sash.

We need an athletic play maker at MLB and OLB to help stuff the run and help in pass coverage.
    This in turn would help the DL. I would love to have another DE to compliment JPP. Osi is probably gone. I believe we will probably draft another DE. In addition, why cant Kiwi move back to the DE rotation? As I've stated before, I hope Ojomo is given a chance too when he is not on the IR.

I would love to have another DT. M Austin look like a bust.

Just my opinion.

Enigma's Top 5 Favorite Prospects for Round 1 (Realistic possibilities)

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU - Estimated measurable: 6'5, 270lbs He was originally a track athlete before he joined the football team and became a hybrid player for the Cougars. Has seen snaps at linebacker and even DT but his true calling is rushing the passer and beating tackles with his world class athleticism

Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama - Estimated measurable: 6'2 322lbs Arguably the best offensive lineman on the Crimson Tide, Warmack is surprisingly light on his feet and can easily reach the second level to eliminate linebackers. Doesn't offer positional versatility but he can plug in and play on most teams in the 1st game.

Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri - Estimated measurable: 6'3 295lbs Quick off the snap to beat slower interior offensive linemen, tremendous burst in the backfield to get to the QB, and shows a relentless motor. Motivation issues and shoulder injuries could have him removed off of the Giants draft board.

Johnathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina - Estimated measurable: 6'3 310lbs Another impressive athlete at the Guard position, he shows a bit more mobility and coordination than Warmack but lacks that overpowering strength that might be desired for a power blocking sceheme. Still, he could play all 3 interior positions and that's always desired by the Giants.

Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan - Estimated measurable: 6'7 305lbs Very reminiscent of Nate Solder a few years back, he presents the balance and coordination to handle speed rushers and delivers excellent power in the run game despite his weight. With some added weight, he could play either T position and has the chance to be the best OT in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    +1....we've got a ton of holes that need to be addressed

I'd go with LB just because a dominant elite LB that lines up the D could really cover a lot of holes on it. This O-line is a disaster though, it needs major work.
    I agree with going after a dominant LB but I just don't think the Giants coaching will do it. They have come up with a formula for winning superbowls with an average linebacking core and I just don't believe that they will use a draft pick with the first few rounds to pick one up. I believe that this staff will continue to go after DE's and Corners in the first few rounds.