+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    lucky or you dont spend 7- 9mil on decent players just to keep them around. you cut that crap out and suffer one year of hits and then you can use those $$$ to get some younger FA help.
    Well, the strange thing is, hitting on players in the draft isnt always a positive, because sooner or later you have to pay those guys if you want to keep them. Sometimes you are better off finding a bunch of good players, instead of a few stars.

Or the ultimate would be to keep drafting studs with every draft pick, and replace great players with younger cheaper great players. But that idea is just not sustainable for any length of time.

When i take a look at most of those guys on the list , i feel we could get similar production at half the cap space. Giants need to stop trying to hang on like that bad moss trade, and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    When i take a look at most of those guys on the list , i feel we could get similar production at half the cap space. Giants need to stop trying to hang on like that bad moss trade, and move on.
    Problem is they need to find a way to rid them of the player without the cap hit. Perhaps try trading some of them away, but who wants those players for that kind of a cap hit?

I really would like to see one of the beat reporters look at those guys on the list and tell us who could be released and how much of a cap hit it would be next season.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Yes it's simple. But I don't believe most fans understand that. They expect a team with a very highly paid QB to also field a great defense. Which from a cap perspective is nearly impossible. Have to be extremely lucky when it comes to guys on rookie contracts and any low priced FAs
    the broncos pay peyton over 20the mil per yr and they have a stacked defense and run game to go with peyton...but i think ur point is valid bc i cant think of another team in the position

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    the broncos pay peyton over 20the mil per yr and they have a stacked defense and run game to go with peyton...but i think ur point is valid bc i cant think of another team in the position

Peyton is also in the first year of his contract, and almost every player on the denver defense is on their rookie contract, as is most of the offense. Its just not sustainable long term.

When they have to pay Von Miller, and Demaryius Thomas, and Ryan Clady, all of a sudden they have to start letting guys go.

The colts have roughly a 3 year window before they start finding themselves in cap trouble. Which is probably as long as manning will end up playing, so manning leaving alleviates most of the cap problem.
    Last edited by slipknottin; 12-21-2012 at 04:58 PM.

I agree, Philly always seems to know when its time to pull the plug on a player.

I think philly structures contracts that help them when players get hurt but when a player is good they cant really give them money. What i mean is philly gives a lot of money overall but not guaranteed so when it doesnt work out they cut a player with no fault and are able to attract more guys because of the seemingly higher payday. However, once they need to sign a guy they usually cant commit all that money. In the end, it still the eagles, and they havent done anything well ever

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    How many think Eli was worth that amount this season I wonder?

What was his cap number this year? He sure wasn't worth a $20MM cap hit in 2012.........

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    The season's not over and, in fairness, you have to look at the whole body of work. I'll reserve comment.

Yeah, I view it differently. I view contracts as one complete event, not an annual series of events and look at the performance in relative terms to the market. I think Eli has pretty much earned his contract, particularly when viewed within the context of what franchise QBs make.

That said, if one were to view only one year at a time it's looking like it might be tough to be satisfied with this year's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggles2013 View Post
    Reese needs to spend the next three to five years rebuilding this team into a a playoff contender. Getting rid of guys like Diehl, Webster, Tuck, etc. might not be a bad thing since they are dead weight. We need to get younger, healthier, and more talented.
    The team is playoff contending now.