+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Blame The Coaches All You Want, But We Have No Players . . .

The coaches certainly have to take some blame for the embarrassments of the last 2 weeks, but I think that the real problem is that our talent dropped off of a cliff this season.

Offense:

Eli has had a poor season. The indisputably "elite" QB's (Brees, Brady, Peyton, Rodgers) have bad games, but not bad seasons. Eli has had more than one bad season.

The OL has one above-average player -- Beatty -- and he is barely above-average. Snee's average to below average play is probably due to injury, but he is clearly on the downside.

Bradshaw and Nicks simply cannot stay healthy. Bennett has showed why he was available on the cheap.

Defense:

Osi and Tuck are completely shot and JPP is apparently unable to make plays consistently when being double-teamed.

I'm not sure how Linval Joseph could be any good if teams constant run up the middle on us with no resistance. Austin is a steaming pile of ****, Bernard is old and Canty is overpaid.

Our LB's are awful. Chase and Herzlich are embarrassing MLB's. Herzlich is a great story, but under no circumstances should he ever be on the field for anything other than special team snaps. Boley seems to be on the downside. The others? Special teamers and role players . . . . no starters.

Webster is completely done . . . no way that the team can play that guy $9M next year. Phillips can't get on the field and it is hard to imagine that he will be resigned for anything more than a totally team-friendly deal.

This is coming from a poster who staunchly supports the coaches after even the worst defeats. After seeing the last few games, though, it looks like things are going to get worse before they get better. A lot of re-tooling of the roster needs to be done before next season.

That argument doesn't explain how we absolutely destroyed some teams this year -- Carolina (36-7), San Fran (26-3), Green Bay (38-10), New Orleans (52-27). The latter three are amongst the NFL's elite.

If the team was consistently bad, I could buy that it's purely a personnel problem. But we've looked like champs one week and chumps the next. You know what I think that means.
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 12-23-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    That argument doesn't explain how we absolutely destroyed some teams this year -- Carolina (36-7), San Fran (26-3), Green Bay (38-10), New Orleans (52-27). 3 of those 4 are quality teams.

If the team was consistently bad, I could buy that it's purely a personnel problem. But we've looked like champs one week and chumps the next.
    When was the last time that we looked like champs? The Green Bay game after a long rest (which would help an old, tired team)? The Saints win, to me, was done with smoke and mirror. There were a lot of problems in that game that were ignored because of the final score.

Quote Originally Posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
    When was the last time that we looked like champs? The Green Bay game after a long rest (which would help an old, tired team)? The Saints win, to me, was done with smoke and mirror. There were a lot of problems in that game that were ignored because of the final score.
    Even if I give you that, we looked great until the calendar flipped to November, as usual... The Green Bay game?

I hate to say this but I agree with the whole post.

Personally I do put some blame on the coaches but, to me, most is on the players.

I question the coaches reasoning for starting players in key positions when they are hurt and clearly unable to contribute. Also, they never designed a scheme to implement David Wilson who demonstrated his explosion on several occasions. With Nicks hurt the Giant's lacked explosion all season and needed to find that burst any way possible.

This whole team quit on the coaches during the last 4 games. The coaching wasn't the best but the team quit, especially the defense. Our secondary is now officially the worst in the league and our defensive line turned into a bunch of pansies.
    "There is winning and there is Misery"

Quote Originally Posted by dakotajoe View Post
    I hate to say this but I agree with the whole post.

Personally I do put some blame on the coaches but, to me, most is on the players.

I question the coaches reasoning for starting players in key positions when they are hurt and clearly unable to contribute. Also, they never designed a scheme to implement David Wilson who demonstrated his explosion on several occasions. With Nicks hurt the Giant's lacked explosion all season and needed to find that burst any way possible.
    I said this last week. They do not know how to use David Wilson as a starter because Gilbride is one dimensional.
    "There is winning and there is Misery"

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    Even if I give you that, we looked great until the calendar flipped to November, as usual... The Green Bay game?
    Green bay was missing shields and mathews. Otherwise they would have probably blanked us

Quote Originally Posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
    I think the Giants should bite the bullet take the cap hits be bad for 1 year play as many young players as they can and retool the roster . There are still some quality pieces to rebuild around.

Veteran
    IMO Bennett is hardly a problem.

If anything we under utilize him.