+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Player

Wow, fickle or what?

Honestly, this board makes me want to boak (Scottish word for throwing up) after a loss when we get soooooo many people coming on caning the QB, the O-Line, the D, Gilbride, Fewell, Reese etc, etc.

Sure, we're in a funk right now but the last time I checked we can only draft a handful and maybe pick up a few FA's so the bulk of this roster WILL be with us next year so they'd ill still be our team and, despite the contrary evidence of the last two games they are not far away from having a legitimate shot.

Since I started following the Giants in '85 we've been in 5 Superbowls and won 4 of them. That's not bad and certainly compares to all other "great teams" of the same era. Every team that's been successful in that period (49ers, 'Skins, Cowboys, Pats etc) have all had lean years but that's not even what we're facing into right now and some people still whine after every loss and knee jerk to get rid of everybody connected with the franchise.

I think we probably do need a few changes right now but not the wholesale refit some people are suggesting and we still have an outside chance of the playoffs this year so who knows, right?

Anyway, if you think it's bad watching us play crap you should try doing it at 1 am in the morning like all of us Scottish Giants fans and then getting up for work 4 hours later!

Go Blue!

Problem is that this isn't just two games, nor is this just this season: some of the bull**** this team goes through has been present since last year. It's become more apparent and no longer can people gloss it over or offer some other explanation: we have players who are just over the hill and players who are not motivated, lack the heart to play.

When you're seeing certain players not making an impact and getting pushed around like ragdolls, said players need to take whatever talent they have left elsewhere or just call it a career.
    For a Giant fan that I personally knew: My mom. May she smile and be delighted whenever her favorite player - Victor Cruz - scores a touchdown and does his salsa dance.

Thank you mom for everything! Let's Go Giants!

Can you explain then my friend how we go from being superbowl contenders to hapless embarrassing no hopers, who cannot once again get the snap off in time, nor put the right amount of players on the field, to whom which obtaining a first down becomes the most difficult thing in the world and stopping anyone no matter who they are is impossible.

What makes me cringe more than anything is when we are told, oh this team the giants are playing have lost their last three, their qb has a qb rating of 56 and their defense frankly stinks right now....you just know the qb will have a career day, their defense will stuff our run and shut down our passing attack and have a wonderful evening putting EM on his backside...

Its the same TEAM that beat 49ers etc, so it can only be the preparation and gameplanning our Coaches prepare, and as always its so obvious that when something isnt working, they just cannot adjust to deal with the problem, so they sink...

What does make me shake my head though is when you watch the past two games and think....THIS team won a superbowl ? HOW ?

No other team in the NFL has the ability to be the best and yet the worst team in the NFL on a weekly basis, to me that can only come down to who is preparing the team and the game plan set out for that particular game.

Only places I want wholesale refit are our O-line (only one to keep is Beatty) and our coaching staff...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Only places I want wholesale refit are our O-line (only one to keep is Beatty) and our coaching staff...
    +1 with out the front 5 spells another season of struggles.
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ukgiantstyke View Post
    Can you explain then my friend how we go from being superbowl contenders to hapless embarrassing no hopers, who cannot once again get the snap off in time, nor put the right amount of players on the field, to whom which obtaining a first down becomes the most difficult thing in the world and stopping anyone no matter who they are is impossible.

What makes me cringe more than anything is when we are told, oh this team the giants are playing have lost their last three, their qb has a qb rating of 56 and their defense frankly stinks right now....you just know the qb will have a career day, their defense will stuff our run and shut down our passing attack and have a wonderful evening putting EM on his backside...

Its the same TEAM that beat 49ers etc, so it can only be the preparation and gameplanning our Coaches prepare, and as always its so obvious that when something isnt working, they just cannot adjust to deal with the problem, so they sink...

What does make me shake my head though is when you watch the past two games and think....THIS team won a superbowl ? HOW ?

No other team in the NFL has the ability to be the best and yet the worst team in the NFL on a weekly basis, to me that can only come down to who is preparing the team and the game plan set out for that particular game.

I agree, well said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Revamp the O-Line, change coordinators.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbaBigBlue View Post
    Honestly, this board makes me want to boak (Scottish word for throwing up) after a loss when we get soooooo many people coming on caning the QB, the O-Line, the D, Gilbride, Fewell, Reese etc, etc.

Sure, we're in a funk right now but the last time I checked we can only draft a handful and maybe pick up a few FA's so the bulk of this roster WILL be with us next year so they'd ill still be our team and, despite the contrary evidence of the last two games they are not far away from having a legitimate shot.

Since I started following the Giants in '85 we've been in 5 Superbowls and won 4 of them. That's not bad and certainly compares to all other "great teams" of the same era. Every team that's been successful in that period (49ers, 'Skins, Cowboys, Pats etc) have all had lean years but that's not even what we're facing into right now and some people still whine after every loss and knee jerk to get rid of everybody connected with the franchise.

I think we probably do need a few changes right now but not the wholesale refit some people are suggesting and we still have an outside chance of the playoffs this year so who knows, right?

Anyway, if you think it's bad watching us play crap you should try doing it at 1 am in the morning like all of us Scottish Giants fans and then getting up for work 4 hours later!

Go Blue!
    Good post, and pretty well said.

I hurt as much as any Giants fan after seeing not just one but two consecutive atrocious outings by the Giants. But the pervading reactions on the board tend to be what you describe here--year in and year out--after every single loss (even after certain wins, actually). Cries for wholesale changes of coaches and/or players, or in some cases, overkill of blasting a specific player for his interview comments and/or his play (this year Tuck is the main culprit; last 2 years it was Osi and Jacobs in particular).

The reality is that NO ONE can come up with true reasons for this team's extreme levels of inconsistency over the past several years. Not coaches, not players, not the FO, and--most definitely-- not the fans.

I understand the extreme frustration all of the above have after especially onerous losses like the past 2 weeks have revealed--I certainly share it and am similarly disgusted when I watch the game we played vs Falcons and Ravens, especially considering we had the division in our hands prior to 9 days ago.

But, basically, what you are alluding to here is an overall lack of perspective on the part of some Giants fans on this board. They tend to be ones who can only vent frustration by screaming for the head of coach(es), player(s), GM--whatever fits the bill of a particular day or game.

These are all essentially understandably frustrated attempts to explain the inexplicable.

Back to the word "perspective", considering this team. For sake of argument, let's look at the NFL's successful teams over the past 32 years--since 1980--just to keep it fairly contemporary (ie, most of the retired players are still alive and kicking and currently under the age of 60). Success being defined as teams who have repeatedly played in, and won, Super Bowls.

49ers--played in 5 SBs and won 5. The most recent win after the 1994 season, 18 years ago.

Patriots--played in 7 SBs, won 3. Most recent win after the 2004 season. 8 years ago. (and most recent appearances 5 years ago and last year).

Steelers--played in 4 SBs, won 2. Most recent win after 2008 season, and appeared in a loss after 2010 season.
    (Not to dismiss or diminish Steelers dominance of the 70s of course, but I'm trying to keep this within the current generation. Obviou sly, in the history of the Super Bowl era, Steelers rule with 6 total SB victories).

Cowboys--played in 3 SBs, won 3. Most recent win after 1995 season. 17 years ago.
    (As with the Steelers, this is not to dismiss Cowboys dominance of the NFC in the 70s, when they played in 5 SBs, won 2)

Raiders--played in 3 SBs, won 2. Most recent win after 1983 season. 29 years ago (most recent appearance 10 years ago--and not a single winning season since, I believe)

Broncos--played 5 SBs, won 2. Most recent--and only--wins after 1997 and 98 seasons. 14 years ago.

Redskins--played in 4 SBs, won 3. Most recent win after 1991 season. 21 years ago.

Packers--played in 3 SBs, won 2. Most recent win after 2010 season. 2 years ago. Separated from its previous win by 14 seasons.

For kicks, I'll throw in the Eagles--played in 2 SBs, won NONE. Appeared in SB losses in 1980 and 2004.

Then there's the Giants in that time frame--played in 5 SBs, won 4. Most recent win after 2011 season, LAST YEAR.

The point I am attempting to make here is that in the last 32 years, there have been 9 out of 32 teams that have had any kind of continued success over a period of time. But of those, you can point to only 3 teams that have experienced that kind of sustained success in the last decade--Patriots, Steelers, and Giants.

And of those 3, this year the Steelers have played themselves out of the post season and the Giants are hanging on by a thread. Does anyone here truly believe the Steelers won't be back in the playoff mix next year simply because they failed this year (as they failed to make post season in 2009, only to appear in the 2010 season's SB)? Then why does anyone doubt that very real probability will apply to the Giants--and without wholesale changes of players and coaches?

Perspective can be useful in evaluating our favorite team.
    Last edited by gmen46; 12-24-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post

Perspective can be useful in evaluating one's favorite team.
    Well put.

I keep reading "it's the same thing every season"...........I mean, yeah, I guess it is, except for the 2 magical SuperBowl runs. How many other teams have won 2 Super Bowls in the last 8 years? Only one other, the Steelers. You can't win the Super Bowl every year. The late season collapses are both frustrating and perplexing, but in the grand scheme of things, 2 Super Bowl victories are very impressive in that span. What more could we really ask for? Would we rather put up good regular season win percentages each year like the Ravens, only to win nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    Good post, and pretty well said.

I hurt as much as any Giants fan after seeing not just one but two consecutive atrocious outings by the Giants. But the pervading reactions on the board tend to be what you describe here--year in and year out--after every single loss (even after certain wins, actually). Cries for wholesale changes of coaches and/or players, or in some cases, overkill of blasting a specific player for his interview comments and/or his play (this year Tuck is the main culprit; last 2 years it was Osi and Jacobs in particular).

The reality is that NO ONE can come up with true reasons for this team's extreme levels of inconsistency over the past several years. Not coaches, not players, not the FO, and--most definitely-- not the fans.

I understand the extreme frustration all of the above have after especially onerous losses like the past 2 weeks have revealed--I certainly share it and am similarly disgusted when I watch the game we played vs Falcons and Ravens, especially considering we had the division in our hands prior to 9 days ago.

But, basically, what you are alluding to here is an overall lack of perspective on the part of some Giants fans on this board. They tend to be ones who can only vent frustration by screaming for the head of coach(es), player(s), GM--whatever fits the bill of a particular day or game.

These are all essentially understandably frustrated attempts to explain the inexplicable.

Back to the word "perspective", considering this team. For sake of argument, let's look at the NFL's successful teams over the past 32 years--since 1980--just to keep it fairly contemporary (ie, most of the retired players are still alive and kicking and currently under the age of 60). Success being defined as teams who have repeatedly played in, and won, Super Bowls.

49ers--played in 5 SBs and won 5. The most recent win after the 1994 season, 18 years ago.

Patriots--played in 7 SBs, won 3. Most recent win after the 2004 season. 8 years ago. (and most recent appearances 5 years ago and last year).

Steelers--played in 4 SBs, won 2. Most recent win after 2008 season, and appeared in a loss after 2010 season.
    (Not to dismiss or diminish Steelers dominance of the 70s of course, but I'm trying to keep this within the current generation. Obviou sly, in the history of the Super Bowl era, Steelers rule with 6 total SB victories).

Cowboys--played in 3 SBs, won 3. Most recent win after 1995 season. 17 years ago.
    (As with the Steelers, this is not to dismiss Cowboys dominance of the NFC in the 70s, when they played in 5 SBs, won 2)

Raiders--played in 3 SBs, won 2. Most recent win after 1983 season. 29 years ago (most recent appearance 10 years ago--and not a single winning season since, I believe)

Broncos--played 5 SBs, won 2. Most recent--and only--wins after 1997 and 98 seasons. 14 years ago.

Redskins--played in 4 SBs, won 3. Most recent win after 1991 season. 21 years ago.

Packers--played in 3 SBs, won 2. Most recent win after 2010 season. 2 years ago. Separated from its previous win by 14 seasons.

For kicks, I'll throw in the Eagles--played in 2 SBs, won NONE. Appeared in SB losses in 1980 and 2004.

Then there's the Giants in that time frame--played in 5 SBs, won 4. Most recent win after 2011 season, LAST YEAR.

The point I am attempting to make here is that in the last 32 years, there have been 9 out of 32 teams that have had any kind of continued success over a period of time. But of those, you can point to only 3 teams that have experienced that kind of sustained success in the last decade--Patriots, Steelers, and Giants.

And of those 3, this year the Steelers have played themselves out of the post season and the Giants are hanging on by a thread. Does anyone here truly believe the Steelers won't be back in the playoff mix next year simply because they failed this year (as they failed to make post season in 2009, only to appear in the 2010 season's SB)? Then why does anyone doubt that very real probability will apply to the Giants--and without wholesale changes of players and coaches?

Perspective can be useful in evaluating our favorite team.

+ 1