+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1

    Time to move to a new defensive philosophy

    We are very close to a decent 3-4 team and with Osi and tuck being useless now, the transition wont move us away from our strengths anymore.

    Dline: JPP, Draft/FA NT, Canty

    LB: Draft/FA OLB, Kiwi, Boley, JWill

    I can see nice exotic blitz schemes and good run stuffing with a front 7 built like that. I hope we move in that direction.

  2. #2
    Oh heavens no... Our LBs are just not good enough to be able to handle a 3-4. Plus, in our division, we need that extra hand in the dirt to get some QB pressure. I'm all in for bringing in a DE 2nd round or something.


    BOOM!!!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by cken View Post
    Oh heavens no... Our LBs are just not good enough to be able to handle a 3-4. Plus, in our division, we need that extra hand in the dirt to get some QB pressure. I'm all in for bringing in a DE 2nd round or something.
    I think Kiwi definitely has the size to play on the inside and shed blockers. His true LB strength is stopping the run and I think that could continue on the inside. Kiwi could also very much excel at grtting a big up the middle push on blitzes. JWill would still be our TE specialist but he is also fast enough and athletic enough to blitz the QB from the outside IMO. Boley too wont have a huge problem transitioning. We would just need a pass rushihg specialist OLB.

    Remember Canty was a great DE in the 3-4 for the Cowboys and JPP is definitely big enough to set the edge and get to the QB from a 3-4 DE position. We would need a NT though.

  4. #4
    All-Pro CDN_G-FAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    17,467
    1. contrary to the Giants experience, 3-4s are built around 2 gap NTs, and without one its like talking about how talented your receivers are without a QB

    2. we don't have defensive ends that are capable of playing that position in a 3-4. Tuck used to be able to, its a waste to use JPP like that, and canty can't stay on the field.

    3. i can barely find 3 passable LBers on this roster, let alone trying to come up with 4.


    in conclusion, i hate the idea.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by VBGiantsFan View Post
    We are very close to a decent 3-4 team and with Osi and tuck being useless now, the transition wont move us away from our strengths anymore.
    No, we're very close to being equally useless in a 3-4 scheme as we are in a 4-3. Didn't you notice we had 4 linebackers on the field in a 4-4-3 and it didn't help?

    Not to mention the one talented player we have left is JPP and he would be wasted in a 3-4, we don't have a big fat nose tackle, and our linebackers are scrap.

  6. #6
    All-Pro egyptian420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,589
    Everyone thinks there is just 1 quick fix to get this team back on track. Let's get a new HC, lets get a new OC, lets get a new DC, lets switch to a 3-4, lets run the no huddle all game....

    Until this team starts CARING....nothing will help it. Last year we went on a SB run with the same coaches, players, and philosophy but they actually played with heart. They were actually 'All In'.....not so much this year.

  7. #7
    All-Pro CDN_G-FAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    17,467
    Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    Everyone thinks there is just 1 quick fix to get this team back on track. Let's get a new HC, lets get a new OC, lets get a new DC, lets switch to a 3-4, lets run the no huddle all game....

    Until this team starts CARING....nothing will help it. Last year we went on a SB run with the same coaches, players, and philosophy but they actually played with heart. They were actually 'All In'.....not so much this year.
    great post. i've been trying to make this point over and over.

    we're not one move away from another SB.

    and PS: only 6 teams have won superbowls in the last 12 years, meaning, its pretty ****ing hard to win one, so we should stop acting like its an average outcome.

  8. #8
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    100,563
    Quote Originally Posted by VBGiantsFan View Post
    We are very close to a decent 3-4 team and with Osi and tuck being useless now, the transition wont move us away from our strengths anymore.

    Dline: JPP, Draft/FA NT, Canty

    LB: Draft/FA OLB, Kiwi, Boley, JWill

    I can see nice exotic blitz schemes and good run stuffing with a front 7 built like that. I hope we move in that direction.
    The main problem with this is you are probably talking about taking yourself out of contention for a few years. You have to find the personnel to do it and I'm pretty sure they aren't here now.

    Plus, the ownership believes in continuity and that would require a lot of change.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1








    # 80

  9. #9
    "Time to move to a new defensive philosophy"

    i wasn't aware that we even have one.


    when the aliens finally come to conquer us ....
    i hope that their weapons of choice are Gibsons and Fenders

  10. #10
    All-Pro egyptian420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,589
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    great post. i've been trying to make this point over and over.

    we're not one move away from another SB.

    and PS: only 6 teams have won superbowls in the last 12 years, meaning, its pretty ****ing hard to win one, so we should stop acting like its an average outcome.
    I agree with you, but I don't know if just because we won last year that we should somehow feel satisfied or feel less bad about this team that has given up on themselves and their fans.

    The Pats repeated in back to back seasons. They didn't care that they won in '03, they went out and stayed hungry for '04, something we clearly aren't doing this year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts