+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

Re: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

[quote user="bigblue4417"]If you look at the top 17 on that hockey list only 1 team is not in the northeast or Canada. That is LA, one of the biggest cities in the world. Hockey is more popular in the east coast and colder climates. Plus it has a tradition up there. People in the midwest or west coast don't really care about hockey at all I would think unless they have a team in the city.

TV is a whole different story. There are NBA games on all the time. There is never hockey on unless it's on VS and who knows who even gets that channel. They get one national game a week and people barely watch that I bet. People would be much more inclined to watch a BBall game while browsing through the channels than a hockey game.

It is also losing popularity because of how difficult it is to play. Cities don't have rinks set up to play or programs to teach kids. You can't just go out in the front yard and play. You can bounce a ball with a hoop anywhere in the country and in any climate.

Hockey in the Northeast compared to the rest of the country is a HUGE difference. Plus if you have a city with a B'ball team and a hockey team I could almost guarantee the Bball team is going to be more popular than the hockey team most of the time.
    [/quote]</P>

well said, on all points, sir.</P>
    Oderint Dum Metuant

“I’m the only one [in the Ryan family of coaches] with only one Super Bowl ring,” Ryan said, via the New York Daily News. <font color="#0000FF">“But I’m planning on getting another one, and I’m planning on getting it quickly.”
    </font>

“We got some scars this year from this,” Ryan said. “Anybody who doesn’t have scars is either lying to you or never dared. One thing about us: We dare. We put it out there — I put it out there — that we want to be great.”

GOOD LUCK FATBOY

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"]

yea but the fact remains that NBA has 4 more NBA franchises, bigger stadiums, and bigger crowds

/end game
    [/quote]4 more Franchises that cant sellout, bigger arenas that are empty and bigger crowds that arent filling the seats
    [/quote]

they average more people per game and only ONE NHL team sells out every night, while two NBA teams sell out every night on average regardless of where they play.
    [/quote]More people cause there's more seats
    More NHL teams can support strong home fanbases while NBA teams have better road followings
    [/quote]

Not if u take out the Canadian franchises
    [/quote]If you take out the Canadian teams there are still more NHL teams that sell out on a consistent basis
    [/quote]

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/...11/sort/allPct

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/...11/sort/allPct

the truth will set you free
    [/quote]The NHL would still have more teams (Chicago, Philthy, SJ, DC, STL, Boston, Pittsburgh) compared to the NBA (Dallas, Chicago, Portland, Orlando, Miami, Boston)

The NHL also has 4 teams that sellout 99% of their games compared to the NBAs 3
    [/quote]

bottom line is that overall both leagues don't sell out overall and can sell more tickets if they had the fan base and the NBA still outdraws the NHL
    [/quote]

Bottom line is that the NBA cant stand up to the NHL in selling out and maintaining strong fanbases. If they had the fanbases of the NFL we'd both be screwed as fans, then again thatll never happen cause NBA and NHL have 82 game seasons
    [/quote]

I see rex is back making ridic statements
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Morehead State"]

Let me just say this. I don't follow the NHL like I used to. (for reasons I have already explained), but back when the Blackhawks played at the old Chicago Stadium, a playoff game there was just about the most exciting and intense sporting event there was.</p>

That place rocked like I've never seen at any football game or basketball game.</p>

Hockey is much more of a live sport than basketball or even baseball. Its just not a great fit for TV. But the NHL is a very exciting game, especially in the playoffs. The league has made several mistakes, especially having far too many teams in an attempt to Americanize it. But the game itself is great at its core.</p>[/quote]

Blackhawks seem to be the biggest attractiong between any team in any league

which is funny because I don't know one person on their team.

Its silly to even have this conversation... what Lundquist did the other day was INSANE. A shutout on 42 shots is something that I even know is sick.

It was still page 4 print compared to Lin and the Knicks. You may have some hardcore hockey towns, but the truth is that nobody really cares throughout the whole country
    [/quote]See ridiculous generalized statements like that make this argument go on WAY too long
    [/quote]

its absolutely true.. you have 12 teams that sellout at home and only 1 team that sells out overall...

Theres hockey cities, no doubt. The whole country doesn't give a **** though...

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Morehead State"]

Let me just say this. I don't follow the NHL like I used to. (for reasons I have already explained), but back when the Blackhawks played at the old Chicago Stadium, a playoff game there was just about the most exciting and intense sporting event there was.</P>

That place rocked like I've never seen at any football game or basketball game.</P>

Hockey is much more of a live sport than basketball or even baseball. Its just not a great fit for TV. But the NHL is a very exciting game, especially in the playoffs. The league has made several mistakes, especially having far too many teams in an attempt to Americanize it. But the game itself is great at its core.</P>

[/quote]

Its silly to even have this conversation... what Lundquist did the other day was INSANE. A shutout on 42 shots is something that I even know is sick.

It was still page 4 print compared to Lin and the Knicks. You may have some hardcore hockey towns, but the truth is that nobody really cares throughout the whole country
    [/quote]See ridiculous generalized statements like that make this argument go on WAY too long
    [/quote]</P>

</P>

i dont think it's that drastic of a generalization. while NHL fans are probably the most hardcore of fans similar to football(in my own opinion), there are just less of them across the board in U.S.
    It's not a knock on hockey, I jsut think there's less of an overall interest than there is with the other sports.
    </P>
    Oderint Dum Metuant

[quote user="Kase-1"]Bottom line is that the NBA cant stand up to the NHL in selling out and maintaining strong fanbases.
    [/quote]
    Locally maybe. Nationally it's not even close.

[quote user="bigblue4417"]If you look at the top 17 on that hockey list only 1 team is not in the northeast or Canada. That is LA, one of the biggest cities in the world. Hockey is more popular in the east coast and colder climates. Plus it has a tradition up there. People in the midwest or west coast don't really care about hockey at all I would think unless they have a team in the city.

TV is a whole different story. There are NBA games on all the time. There is never hockey on unless it's on VS and who knows who even gets that channel. They get one national game a week and people barely watch that I bet. People would be much more inclined to watch a BBall game while browsing through the channels than a hockey game.

It is also losing popularity because of how difficult it is to play. Cities don't have rinks set up to play or programs to teach kids. You can't just go out in the front yard and play. You can bounce a ball with a hoop anywhere in the country and in any climate.

Hockey in the Northeast compared to the rest of the country is a HUGE difference. Plus if you have a city with a B'ball team and a hockey team I could almost guarantee the Bball team is going to be more popular than the hockey team most of the time.
    [/quote]Chicago, San Jose, LA, Minnesota, St Louis arent in the Northeast

Maybe the whole 'hockey is only big in the cold climates' argument was true 20yrs ago but teams in warm weather cities have really caught on just look at the teams in Cali, they have a HUGE following. The longer these teams exist and draw a good following the more community programs will be spawned.

Yes anyone can bounce a ball and walk to the local park or school yard to shoot hoops and its much tougher to play hockey, but what does that say about the hockey fanbase vs the basketball fanbase, it says we're MUCH more dedicated
    Round1: AA-Ron Donald, DT, Pitt
    Round2: Kareem Martin, UNC, DE
    Round3: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Round4: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    Round5: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    Round5: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Morehead State"]

Let me just say this. I don't follow the NHL like I used to. (for reasons I have already explained), but back when the Blackhawks played at the old Chicago Stadium, a playoff game there was just about the most exciting and intense sporting event there was.</p>

That place rocked like I've never seen at any football game or basketball game.</p>

Hockey is much more of a live sport than basketball or even baseball. Its just not a great fit for TV. But the NHL is a very exciting game, especially in the playoffs. The league has made several mistakes, especially having far too many teams in an attempt to Americanize it. But the game itself is great at its core.</p>

[/quote]

[/quote]</p>

I don't really know what the excitement is at Blackhawk games these days. But in the days of Stan Makita and Tony Esposito, it was nuts.</p>

You can look at attendance figures if you like. But hoops draws more celebrities, corporations, and other phony fans. Hockey fans are hard core.</p>

Basketball is all about slam dunks, hotdogging, one on one play and the glorification of a few superstars. Hockey is all about the <u>game</u>.</p>

Gotta go with Kase 100% on this argument.</p>[/quote]

everything u just said, actually means u agree with me

America's interest in NBA HIGHLY outweights the interest of the NHL...

its clear

stop davening - your not every good at it anymore

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="bigblue4417"]If you look at the top 17 on that hockey list only 1 team is not in the northeast or Canada. That is LA, one of the biggest cities in the world. Hockey is more popular in the east coast and colder climates. Plus it has a tradition up there. People in the midwest or west coast don't really care about hockey at all I would think unless they have a team in the city.

[/quote]Chicago, San Jose, LA, Minnesota, St Louis arent in the Northeast

Maybe the whole 'hockey is only big in the cold climates' argument was true 20yrs ago but teams in warm weather cities have really caught on just look at the teams in Cali, they have a HUGE following. The longer these teams exist and draw a good following the more community programs will be spawned.

Yes anyone can bounce a ball and walk to the local park or school yard to shoot hoops and its much tougher to play hockey, but what does that say about the hockey fanbase vs the basketball fanbase, it says we're MUCH more dedicated
    [/quote]

and much smaller

[quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Kase-1"]Bottom line is that the NBA cant stand up to the NHL in selling out and maintaining strong fanbases.
    [/quote]
    Locally maybe. Nationally it's not even close.
    [/quote]

and no, because locally to kase is the tri-state

Knicks are the bigger story than the Rangers and from what i've been hearing the Rangers are looking liket he best team in the NHL

+ Reply to Thread