+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

Re: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="bigblue4417"]N.B.A. telecasts outdraw N.H.L. telecasts by somewhere between a 3-to-1 and 4-to-1 margin in America.[/quote]</p>

You guys just don't get it. Hockey doesn't do well on TV because of the smallness of the puck. HD helps, but not enough. But the game is a great one. Far more fast paced, far more exciting. Plus you can hit people. </p>

The NBA is essentially a sucky game. Its popular in the same way as Survivor or American Idol is popular. I can't watch a friggin basketball game until the 4th quarter. I get that you guys love it and I think thats great. You love your hoops and I get that. But don't knock hockey because you don't get it. Quoting attendance and TV stats is a losing argument. Basketball translates better to TV. And TV is where its at. Doesn't say anything about the quality of each game.</p>

One thing we learned in the radio business.....The masses are asses.</p>

</p>[/quote]For someone that doesnt watch sports at all its probably easier to watch basketball on TV, yes they may be bored to sleep but its easier to follow the ball.

Hockey really needs a TV angle from over the ice similar to how the NFL has that camera floating around behind the QB
    [/quote]

basketball in general is highly more liked game than hockey
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

[quote user="dezzzR"][quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="bigblue4417"]N.B.A. telecasts outdraw N.H.L. telecasts by somewhere between a 3-to-1 and 4-to-1 margin in America.[/quote]</p>

You guys just don't get it. Hockey doesn't do well on TV because of the smallness of the puck. HD helps, but not enough. But the game is a great one. Far more fast paced, far more exciting. Plus you can hit people. </p>

The NBA is essentially a sucky game. Its popular in the same way as Survivor or American Idol is popular. I can't watch a friggin basketball game until the 4th quarter. I get that you guys love it and I think thats great. You love your hoops and I get that. But don't knock hockey because you don't get it. Quoting attendance and TV stats is a losing argument. Basketball translates better to TV. And TV is where its at. Doesn't say anything about the quality of each game.</p>

</p>[/quote]
    Nobody is knocking hockey, Matt or myself. Just simply proving a point that hockey is no where near as popular as basketball nationally. It will always be the 4th most popular sport in the US and could someday go even lower.

If you asked a casual sports fan if he would rather have front row seats or an all access pass to tv games for hockey or B'ball 99% of them are going to go for B'Ball.

If you asked a serious Knicks/Rangers, Bulls/Blackhawks or Bruins/Celtics I would bet more than 70% takes B'ball.

No one cares about hockey nationally. If you have a team then of course you are going to care more. I have been to plenty of sports bars in my life. I have never seen hockey on TV nor hear people talking about it. There are bars that would rather show replays of SC than live hockey. No one cares.
    [/quote]Matt said hockey was boring, which was his main reason why hockey isnt popular. Thats a knock. I was at a bar the other night and the ranger game was on.
    [/quote]

Its simple - if it was as exciting as some think it is, it would do better.

ANd your in NEW YORK, ANYTHING is on ANYWHERE.

IF anything the fact that Lando has never seen a hockey game on in a sports bar should pretty much prove how nationally nobody cares about hockey...

you step out of hockey towns - ur going to be hard pressed to catch a puck game on TV...

lmao</P>

</P>
    Oderint Dum Metuant

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Morehead State"]

</p>

[/quote]
    Nobody is knocking hockey, Matt or myself. Just simply proving a point that hockey is no where near as popular as basketball nationally. It will always be the 4th most popular sport in the US and could someday go even lower.

If you asked a casual sports fan if he would rather have front row seats or an all access pass to tv games for hockey or B'ball 99% of them are going to go for B'Ball.

If you asked a serious Knicks/Rangers, Bulls/Blackhawks or Bruins/Celtics I would bet more than 70% takes B'ball.

No one cares about hockey nationally. If you have a team then of course you are going to care more. I have been to plenty of sports bars in my life. I have never seen hockey on TV nor hear people talking about it. There are bars that would rather show replays of SC than live hockey. No one cares.
    [/quote]</p>

That may be what you are saying Lando, buts its not what Matt is saying. It was yesterday that Matt made the point that hockey is "boring" BECAUSE its less popular than the other 3 sports.</p>

Thats where this discussion started. </p>[/quote]

Reverse that

and its boring in comparison to the other sports...

I have been to hockey games as well and prefer them on TV.

But to be honest, I think that about any sport except for maybe basketball

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Kase-1"]And there are more 'hockeytowns' than 'basketballtowns'
    [/quote]
    That is debatable but no way to get a real answer.
    [/quote]Well Im happy you asked, I judged it by the amount of cities that sellout their home games and in the NHL there were 12 teams that sold out 100% of their games and 4 more that sold out 99% of their games, while the NBA had 6 teams that sold out 100% of their home games and 3 teams that sold out 99% of their games

[/quote]
    You subtract Canada?

[/quote]Why subtract Canadia, they have teams in both sports.

But even without Canadia NHL has 11 teams that sellout 99% or better and the NBA has 9 that sellout 99% or better
    [/quote]
    So it's almost even. lol

Your case is getting weaker and weaker by the minute...
    [/quote]Almost doesnt mean tish, the pats ALMOST won the super bowl, the Bills were ALMOST 4x SB champions

[/quote]
    In this case it does.

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Kase-1"]I really hope I can find these dollar store programs cause you'll def get one. You're my boy and I gotta let you get some Giants stuff cause its tough out there in SLC
    [/quote]
    Tough?! lol Try impossible. Everything I get is online. EVERYTHING
    [/quote]Except that jacket that my neighbor had for 6months LOL

[{]
    [/quote]
    Still one of the greatest stories ever...

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="bigblue4417"]TV Ratings Show America Still Likes Basketball More ThanHockey
    <p class="byline">Apr 20, 2010 12:56 PM EDT </p>

Sure, it's a far cry from a few years ago, when hockey wasn't even on America's radar, but the NBA still dominates the NHL when it comes to TV ratings. John Ourand from Sports Business Journal has thestaggeringnumbers:</p>
    <blockquote>

NBA playoff ratings dominate. TNT's SAS/DAL Sun was cable's most watched sports event (2.86M homes) followed by ESPN's MIA/BOS Sat (2.84M).</p>

<span class="status-body"><span class="status-content"><span class="entry-content">NBA rates even with late starts. TNT's POR/PHO Sun (2.25M homes) and ESPN's J***-DEN Sat (2.18M) were in cable's top 70 with 11p starts.</span></span></span></p></blockquote>

On the other hand, the highest-rated NHL telecast (last Saturday's Capitals-Canadiens tilt),reachedjust 549,000 homes, according to Ourand. Not bad, but not anywhere close to the NBA. (Note: Obviously, this doesn't include the local broadcasts).</p>

</p>

The Nugs and J*** had 4 times more viewers nationally. LMAO!!!
    </p>

2 of the worst teams in the NBA vs one of the most popular hockey teams and Ovechkin a star.
    </p>

</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Lando.....<font size="5">HOCKEY IS NOT GREAT ON TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</font></p>

How many times do I have to say it? Continuing to say things that prove my point doesn't offer up anything new.</p>

Hockey is a live sport. Hockey is a GREAT live sport. Far better than basketball.</p>[/quote]

hate to break it to u but still too many empty seats in hockey arenas to even accept that answer.

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Morehead State"]

</p>[/quote]

[/quote]No dont get it twisted, Matt was bashing hockey and he does every time we speak on it

WOW, sports bars in Utah suck the ol brasciole. You never hear people talking about it cause Utah has no hockey team, the closest team is in Denver and the Avs blow dong, you even said it, if you have a team you'll care more and in your part of the country there is no team.

There are people that watch all 82 Rangers games at my local bar, hell even I dont watch all 82 Rangers games and they're my #2 after Big Blue, hockey fans are WAAAAY more dedicated than bball fans and there's less of a bandwagon, once a hockey fan always a hockey fan, and if you see a live game you're hooked for LIFE

It isnt always the 4th of the big 4, and its never going below that
    [/quote]

Technically i was wrong by saying big 4, its actually 5th out of the big 5 if u want to get techincal. But I don't consider Nascar a sport... I think a ball has to be in pklay to be considered a sport

I've been to about 5 hockey games, so stop it.

you live in NEW YORK. This is what I mean that u have no concept of perception out of the tri-state of big cities.

I personally odn't like hockey, i find it boring. I can get into any sport for small periods of time but its just not an exciting game.

I said that american obviously agrees since they don't have the fan fare. You said they do and tried to give me HOME sales instead of overall sales and just ignore the whole TV thing. Truth is the truth.

And the fake fighting going on is making it go south. And now that Crosby is looking like he may never be what he was suppose to be - theres no doubt that general attendance and TV ratings have been down since he was on top of the game...

[quote user="Kase-1"]Why do I know that you CAN name 5 hockey players
    [/quote]
    Henry Lundquist
    Sidney Crosby
    Alex Ovechkin
    Temu Salami
    Tim Thomas, but only cause I heard his name so much last year.
    I know there is a good guy in Tampa but I can't remember his name.

That's about all I got. lol

And I am being dead ****ing serious.

[quote user="Morehead State"]

And think about this.</p>

The Boston fans were far more excited about the Bruins Stanley Cup championship than the Celtics championship.</p>

AND</p>

One of the greatest sports days in New York history was the Stanley Cup championship of the Rangers in 1994. I doubt any of the recent Yankee championship energized the city like the Rangers did.</p>[/quote]

You think the 94 Rangers trumped the 96 yankees?

Thats the Red Sock in you

+ Reply to Thread