+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

Re: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="dezzzR"][quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="bigblue4417"]N.B.A. telecasts outdraw N.H.L. telecasts by somewhere between a 3-to-1 and 4-to-1 margin in America.[/quote]</p>

You guys just don't get it. Hockey doesn't do well on TV because of the smallness of the puck. HD helps, but not enough. But the game is a great one. Far more fast paced, far more exciting. Plus you can hit people. </p>

The NBA is essentially a sucky game. Its popular in the same way as Survivor or American Idol is popular. I can't watch a friggin basketball game until the 4th quarter. I get that you guys love it and I think thats great. You love your hoops and I get that. But don't knock hockey because you don't get it. Quoting attendance and TV stats is a losing argument. Basketball translates better to TV. And TV is where its at. Doesn't say anything about the quality of each game.</p>

One thing we learned in the radio business.....The masses are asses.</p>

</p>[/quote]
    Nobody is knocking hockey, Matt or myself. Just simply proving a point that hockey is no where near as popular as basketball nationally. It will always be the 4th most popular sport in the US and could someday go even lower.

If you asked a casual sports fan if he would rather have front row seats or an all access pass to tv games for hockey or B'ball 99% of them are going to go for B'Ball.

If you asked a serious Knicks/Rangers, Bulls/Blackhawks or Bruins/Celtics I would bet more than 70% takes B'ball.

No one cares about hockey nationally. If you have a team then of course you are going to care more. I have been to plenty of sports bars in my life. I have never seen hockey on TV nor hear people talking about it. There are bars that would rather show replays of SC than live hockey. No one cares.
    [/quote]Matt said hockey was boring, which was his main reason why hockey isnt popular. Thats a knock. I was at a bar the other night and the ranger game was on.
    [/quote]Im going to the bar tonight to watch the Rangers vs Blackhawks and they play it on almost EVERY TV and also on the projection screen.... Then again I wont lie, its a Football/Hockey bar, the bar even has their own beer league hockey team
    [/quote]

your a fan going to a bar in the city of a team that looks to be one of the best temas in the league vs the most popular team in the league

not ur best of examples
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Kase-1"]And there are more 'hockeytowns' than 'basketballtowns'
    [/quote]
    That is debatable but no way to get a real answer.
    [/quote]Well Im happy you asked, I judged it by the amount of cities that sellout their home games and in the NHL there were 12 teams that sold out 100% of their games and 4 more that sold out 99% of their games, while the NBA had 6 teams that sold out 100% of their home games and 3 teams that sold out 99% of their games

[/quote]

the fact that there were 12 teams that sellout at home and only 1 of those teams sell out on the road says all that you need to know

especially when u realize how many of those teams were canadian

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]And now that Crosby is looking like he may never be what he was suppose to be - theres no doubt that general attendance and TV ratings have been down since he was on top of the game...
    [/quote]
    That is another thing he won't accept. Sid is the face of the NHL and it's hurting it with him out. If the Rangers weren't doing so good then we would really never hear about it. Almost every time there was a nationally televised game guess who was playing in it...The Penguins. Sid or Ovechkin every time.

[quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="bigblue4417"]TV Ratings Show America Still Likes Basketball More ThanHockey
    <p class="byline">Apr 20, 2010 12:56 PM EDT </p>

Sure, it's a far cry from a few years ago, when hockey wasn't even on America's radar, but the NBA still dominates the NHL when it comes to TV ratings. John Ourand from Sports Business Journal has thestaggeringnumbers:</p>
    <blockquote>

NBA playoff ratings dominate. TNT's SAS/DAL Sun was cable's most watched sports event (2.86M homes) followed by ESPN's MIA/BOS Sat (2.84M).</p>

<span class="status-body"><span class="status-content"><span class="entry-content">NBA rates even with late starts. TNT's POR/PHO Sun (2.25M homes) and ESPN's J***-DEN Sat (2.18M) were in cable's top 70 with 11p starts.</span></span></span></p></blockquote>

On the other hand, the highest-rated NHL telecast (last Saturday's Capitals-Canadiens tilt),reachedjust 549,000 homes, according to Ourand. Not bad, but not anywhere close to the NBA. (Note: Obviously, this doesn't include the local broadcasts).</p>

</p>

The Nugs and J*** had 4 times more viewers nationally. LMAO!!!
    </p>

2 of the worst teams in the NBA vs one of the most popular hockey teams and Ovechkin a star.
    </p>

</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Lando.....<font size="5">HOCKEY IS NOT GREAT ON TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</font></p>

How many times do I have to say it? Continuing to say things that prove my point doesn't offer up anything new.</p>

Hockey is a live sport. Hockey is a GREAT live sport. Far better than basketball.</p>[/quote]
    Kase 1's argument is that hockey is popular nationwide. I am just proving him wrong. Matt and myself say it's irrelevent. No one cares about watching hockey unless they live in an area with a team or grew up following one. People will watch Bball that don't care at all about it. Maybe part of that is society's fault. You think people care about the Kings when the Lakers are doing good? Did people care about the Blackhawks in the 90's when the greatest basketball player ever was winning 6 rings? I don't.

The fact that hockey sucks on TV just bolsters our side more. So no one likes watching hockey so they go to the games. Well the NBA still outdraws the NHL in most cities so whether you are talking about live or TV it still gets trumped. Nationally it's not even close.

I expect Hockey Towns to sell out their games, I don't expect a guy in New Mexico to give 2 ****s about the Stanley Cup Finals let alone a regular season game that's on Sunday on NBC.
    [/quote]

lol truth

[quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Kase-1"]And there are more 'hockeytowns' than 'basketballtowns'
    [/quote]
    That is debatable but no way to get a real answer.
    [/quote]Well Im happy you asked, I judged it by the amount of cities that sellout their home games and in the NHL there were 12 teams that sold out 100% of their games and 4 more that sold out 99% of their games, while the NBA had 6 teams that sold out 100% of their home games and 3 teams that sold out 99% of their games

[/quote]</p>

When you quote TV figures, basketball wins. When you quote attendance figures, hockey wins.</p>

Answer: Basketball is better on TV (masses making little effort). Hockey is better live (real fans dedicated enough to go to the games)</p>[/quote]

where do u get ur numbers from?

attendance figures go to basketball

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Morehead State"]

And think about this.</P>

The Boston fans were far more excited about the Bruins Stanley Cup championship than the Celtics championship.</P>

AND</P>

One of the greatest sports days in New York history was the Stanley Cup championship of the Rangers in 1994. I doubt any of the recent Yankee championship energized the city like the Rangers did.</P>

[/quote]

You think the 94 Rangers trumped the 96 yankees?

Thats the Red Sock in you
    [/quote]</P>

I honestly can say i was too young to remember the 94 rangers. I do have 2 friends who i recall being very excited about the rangers championship, but to me, the Yankees WS in 96 was more memorable.</P>
    Oderint Dum Metuant

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="Morehead State"]

And think about this.</p>

The Boston fans were far more excited about the Bruins Stanley Cup championship than the Celtics championship.</p>

AND</p>

One of the greatest sports days in New York history was the Stanley Cup championship of the Rangers in 1994. I doubt any of the recent Yankee championship energized the city like the Rangers did.</p>[/quote]Ive experienced Yankee and Giants parades, I was too young to attend the parade in 94 and Im DIEING to attend a Rangers parade down the canyon of heroes, I would imagine it to be TREMENDOUS!!!!
    [/quote]

lol i'll tell u right now - it won't top the Rangers parade in 94, Giants parade in 07, or Yankees in 96

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="dezzzR"][quote user="bigblue4417"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="bigblue4417"]N.B.A. telecasts outdraw N.H.L. telecasts by somewhere between a 3-to-1 and 4-to-1 margin in America.[/quote]</p>

You guys just don't get it. Hockey doesn't do well on TV because of the smallness of the puck. HD helps, but not enough. But the game is a great one. Far more fast paced, far more exciting. Plus you can hit people. </p>

The NBA is essentially a sucky game. Its popular in the same way as Survivor or American Idol is popular. I can't watch a friggin basketball game until the 4th quarter. I get that you guys love it and I think thats great. You love your hoops and I get that. But don't knock hockey because you don't get it. Quoting attendance and TV stats is a losing argument. Basketball translates better to TV. And TV is where its at. Doesn't say anything about the quality of each game.</p>

One thing we learned in the radio business.....The masses are asses.</p>

</p>[/quote]
    Nobody is knocking hockey, Matt or myself. Just simply proving a point that hockey is no where near as popular as basketball nationally. It will always be the 4th most popular sport in the US and could someday go even lower.

If you asked a casual sports fan if he would rather have front row seats or an all access pass to tv games for hockey or B'ball 99% of them are going to go for B'Ball.

If you asked a serious Knicks/Rangers, Bulls/Blackhawks or Bruins/Celtics I would bet more than 70% takes B'ball.

No one cares about hockey nationally. If you have a team then of course you are going to care more. I have been to plenty of sports bars in my life. I have never seen hockey on TV nor hear people talking about it. There are bars that would rather show replays of SC than live hockey. No one cares.
    [/quote]Matt said hockey was boring, which was his main reason why hockey isnt popular. Thats a knock. I was at a bar the other night and the ranger game was on.
    [/quote]Im going to the bar tonight to watch the Rangers vs Blackhawks and they play it on almost EVERY TV and also on the projection screen.... Then again I wont lie, its a Football/Hockey bar, the bar even has their own beer league hockey team
    [/quote]
    Well no **** Kase. lol You live in NY and it's the NY Rangers. I would expect them to put it on. Any city that doesn't have a hockey team will not be showing Hockey on any of their TV's. Why you may ask....cause no one gives a ****!
    [/quote]By that reasoning any city that doesnt have a basketball team wouldnt show a hoops game.

Your care package is gonna be on the way right after we get these SB Programs, me, Ed and Bennett are taking a trip to the dollar store in an hr or so
    [/quote]

lol BUT THEY DO!!! So that pretty much ENDS that debate

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Morehead State"]

And think about this.</p>

The Boston fans were far more excited about the Bruins Stanley Cup championship than the Celtics championship.</p>

AND</p>

One of the greatest sports days in New York history was the Stanley Cup championship of the Rangers in 1994. I doubt any of the recent Yankee championship energized the city like the Rangers did.</p>[/quote]

You think the 94 Rangers trumped the 96 yankees?

Thats the Red Sock in you
    [/quote] i agree with mh, rangers hadnt won the cup since 1940. i was young but i remember it being pretty crazy when they won.

Thanks for playing Kase and MH. Better luck next time.

+ Reply to Thread