+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

All-Pro

Re: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

[quote user="Morehead State"]

If its shot down and Obama is re-elected (Oh my God!!!!)..... then they will have to go back and do it in small pieces and in a bipartisan way like they should have in the beginning.</p>

These States have rigged the game by not allowing adequate competition for Insurance Companies. Ultimately the entire "employer based" system has to be scrapped. When we have options and responsibility to buy insurance on our own, costs go down. Just like car insurance. </p>

I lived in Mass. in the 70's and 80's where car insurance was regulated by the state, when I moved to CT. in 87 my insurance went from $1300/year to less than $700. MA deregulated about 10 years ago or so and rates dropped the same way.</p>

This is the same thing. Let competition take over and force efficiency into the system. Its Economics 101. (Of course community organizers don't study economics)</p>[/quote]

I have no problem with everyone having to buy their own health insurance, a side effect of which outside of the cost going down would be what Michelle Obama seems to want so much, people would start living healthier life styles....because it would be monetarily wise for them to do so, because when everyone's buying individual policies then everyone's policies will be customized (to a point) to their individual situation...

It's all about personal responsibility, you want to smoke and drink etc etc fine, but your rates will be higher...now obviously there may have to be some limiting factors on people with per-existing conditions but I'm sorry people with pre-existing conditions SHOULD pay more for Health Insurance...it's almost a guarantee they are going to use it more.

[quote user="DavenIII"]http://mrctv.org/videos/justice-soto...ommerce-clause[/quote]</P>

I really didn't get that vibe from that. It sounded like she was just clarifying his position and not advocating either way.</P>

Here's why I think the law may be upheld. </P>

Does the Congress have apower to regulate commerce?...Yes</P>

Does Congress have the power to force a person to enter into commerce by buying insurance?..One would think not. HOWEVER...if you assume that as a human being you will inevidably use the healthcare system, you can assume that buying insurance is simply a part of the commerce that you are assumed to use at some point in your life.</P>

Thats the rub. I believe its unconstitutuional because it is still a "choice" to buy insurance. You can always pay for healthcare without insurance. "Healthcare and "Healthcare insurance" are 2 different industries.</P>

I always think that the court should side on the rights of people to live their lives as they choose. It is truly a slippery slope when we start chipping away at that for the supposed "collective good".</P>

There are other ways to deal with the problem of the uninsured without a mandate.</P>
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

All-Pro

[quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="DavenIII"]http://mrctv.org/videos/justice-soto...ommerce-clause[/quote]</p>

I really didn't get that vibe from that. It sounded like she was just clarifying his position and not advocating either way.</p>

Here's why I think the law may be upheld. </p>

Does the Congress have apower to regulate commerce?...Yes</p>

Does Congress have the power to force a person to enter into commerce by buying insurance?..One would think not. HOWEVER...if you assume that as a human being you will inevidably use the healthcare system, you can assume that buying insurance is simply a part of the commerce that you are assumed to use at some point in your life.</p>

Thats the rub. I believe its unconstitutuional because it is still a "choice" to buy insurance. You can always pay for healthcare without insurance. "Healthcare and "Healthcare insurance" are 2 different industries.</p>

I always think that the court should side on the rights of people to live their lives as they choose. It is truly a slippery slope when we start chipping away at that for the supposed "collective good".</p>

There are other ways to deal with the problem of the uninsured without a mandate.</p>[/quote]

If you scroll down and listen to the whole thing (instead of the snippet in the article) I think it becomes more clear, you hear her say "Without Limit" at the end of her question, that's what everyone else is asking about at that point as well, so she does seem "skeptical" in context....she asked that question a minute or two after the famous "broccoli" question.

In the end it seems like the court is trying to determine the "limit" of the interstate commerce clause....and to me it sounds like even Justice Sotamyore seems skeptical about how far they seem to be able to push it.

Like I said I'd still be surprised if she did jump ship, but I see it being somewhat possible, I'm very confident that it will be at least 5-4 us though.

All-Pro

I should say I'm very confident about 5-4 us "Based on the oral arguments" which some say you can take into account and others say don't matter so....who knows.

[quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="DavenIII"]http://mrctv.org/videos/justice-soto...ommerce-clause[/quote]</P>

I really didn't get that vibe from that. It sounded like she was just clarifying his position and not advocating either way.</P>

Here's why I think the law may be upheld. </P>

Does the Congress have apower to regulate commerce?...Yes</P>

Does Congress have the power to force a person to enter into commerce by buying insurance?..One would think not. HOWEVER...if you assume that as a human being you will inevidably use the healthcare system, you can assume that buying insurance is simply a part of the commerce that you are assumed to use at some point in your life.</P>

Thats the rub. I believe its unconstitutuional because it is still a "choice" to buy insurance. You can always pay for healthcare without insurance. "Healthcare and "Healthcare insurance" are 2 different industries.</P>

I always think that the court should side on the rights of people to live their lives as they choose. It is truly a slippery slope when we start chipping away at that for the supposed "collective good".</P>

There are other ways to deal with the problem of the uninsured without a mandate.</P>

[/quote]

If you scroll down and listen to the whole thing (instead of the snippet in the article) I think it becomes more clear, you hear her say "Without Limit" at the end of her question, that's what everyone else is asking about at that point as well, so she does seem "skeptical" in context....she asked that question a minute or two after the famous "broccoli" question.

In the end it seems like the court is trying to determine the "limit" of the interstate commerce clause....and to me it sounds like even Justice Sotamyore seems skeptical about how far they seem to be able to push it.

Like I said I'd still be surprised if she did jump ship, but I see it being somewhat possible, I'm very confident that it will be at least 5-4 us though.
    [/quote]</P>

I don't think the Obama solicitor general was claiming that the power to regulate is limitless. She did ask about "creating commerce" which is a bit of cynicism. But the questioning by the justices often doesn't indicate their leaning. They have a responsibility to play devil's advocate to inform the court.</P>

I'd say its slightly more possible for the law to be upheld. Maybe 60/40. If it is upheald, it will be 6-3 IMO though. If not, I'm sure it will be 5-4.</P>

6-3 in favor to overturn would be the best outcome because it would take a lot of the politics out of it.</P>

Maybe some of the left wing of the court care about that. We'll see.</P>

Crazy to think that less than a year back, the only two people around here that supported Coach TC were the 2nd best owner in football and the best looking Patriots fan..

[quote user="patsrule666"]Crazy to think that less than a year back, the only two people around here that supported Coach TC were the 2nd best owner in football and the best looking Patriots fan..[/quote]</P>

I know some pretty good looking Pats fans. Are you sure you're the<U> best</U> looking?</P>

And I will always hate Robert Kraft after he played the city of Hartford for fools and lied through his teeth.</P>

(Well "hate" may be a strong word but you get my point)</P>

ohhhh</P>

</P>

thats why Moorehead hijacked my facebook yesterday</P>
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]

ohhhh</P>

</P>

thats why Moorehead hijacked my facebook yesterday</P>

[/quote]</P>

Lets face it, I make things happen. Don't fight it.</P>

All-Pro

Listening to C-Span about the individual mandate now, they just affirmed that it is considered a tax...waiting for more.

+ Reply to Thread