+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

  1. #136561
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    26,100
    Quote Originally Posted by DavenIII View Post
    I mean I see what you are saying and when it comes to the selection of the next president of the united states it's a very important thing.

    but whether the league is "MMB Standard" or "Flex" really you are going to get angry you didn't take part in the process even though if you had the results would have been the same?

    I don't know I just don't get it, if a vote was done over the weekend and I missed it and came back to find it was passed I might ask who voted for what....but if it passed it passed...nothing I can do no reason to get angry.
    I dont have a vote, so no....no im not angry. lol
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  2. #136562
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,370
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Considering African Americans only make up around 8.5% of the league, I disagree. Tosh is funny as hell, but sometimes he misses completely.
    Well since my Mother is black that gets it up to 12% which is right in line with the national average.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  3. #136563
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    26,100
    plus, just looking around the all-time stats...the record holders for HRs, RBIs, SBs, Walks...all black players....hits, not so much, although props to Hank Aaron for being top 5 in literally everything lol
    The point of the argument Dezz....is that in the early 1900s.....white players didnt have to compete with black players....so the records could have been completely different. And judging by the current numbers....probably would have been different.

    edit for typo
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  4. #136564
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,392
    So what if they hold records, like the color of their skin is the reason they break the old record. You know who broke Babe Ruths hr season record? A skinny white guy named Roger Marris. And Hank broke his all time HR. A great ball player is a great ball player......

    Whos to say Babe would have had more HRs if he was facing black pitchers....

    I hate when people inject race into the reason why people perform better than others.

  5. #136565
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Well since my Mother is black that gets it up to 12% which is right in line with the national average.
    That went over my head.... where did you see 12%?

  6. #136566
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    26,100
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    So what if they hold records, like the color of their skin is the reason they break the old record. You know who broke Babe Ruths hr season record? A skinny white guy named Roger Marris. And Hank broke his all time HR. A great ball player is a great ball player......

    Whos to say Babe would have had more HRs if he was facing black pitchers....

    I hate when people inject race into the reason why people perform better than others.
    jeez dezz...... it has nothing to do with black pitchers....

    it has to do with the level of competition Ruth and others played alongside in those days.

    It's like....the olympic basketball team, kinda. we always had american pros, but always used amatuers/collegiates prior to 92 in the olympics.
    If other countries were using their pros, why wouldnt we? just because we had the best athletes.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  7. #136567
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    26,100
    And it's not just about race either, Dezz. it's about sample size.
    Let's take the best HR hitters of the past 20 years or so...
    Let's say Mcgwire, Griffey, Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod, etc....you think if they played in the 1920s-30s with the same statistics, that anyone would still think Babe Ruth would have been as dominant in his era? or would it have been more spread out like it is nowadays?
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  8. #136568
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    26,100
    one thing worht mentioning is that Babe Ruth was a smoking, drunken fat slob.....

    The fact that he was able to excell at anything speaks volumes of his ability. lmao
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  9. #136569
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,392
    Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    jeez dezz...... it has nothing to do with black pitchers....

    it has to do with the level of competition Ruth and others played alongside in those days.

    It's like....the olympic basketball team, kinda. we always had american pros, but always used amatuers/collegiates prior to 92 in the olympics.
    If other countries were using their pros, why wouldnt we? just because we had the best athletes.
    And Im saying the level of competition wouldnt have dramatically changed the game like you are suggesting. Its not like when segregation in baseball ended aas started to flood the league. It makes no sense

  10. #136570
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,392
    Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    And it's not just about race either, Dezz. it's about sample size.
    Let's take the best HR hitters of the past 20 years or so...
    Let's say Mcgwire, Griffey, Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod, etc....you think if they played in the 1920s-30s with the same statistics, that anyone would still think Babe Ruth would have been as dominant in his era? or would it have been more spread out like it is nowadays?
    THEY ALL ROIDED!! cept jr. COME ON PIZZLE!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts