Re: THEE SWAG THREAD

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Morehead State"]

First 2 game losing streak in 3 weeks. This is a special team. Coming back from 2-10.</P>

We all know they are the best team in baseball. Buchholz on the DL along with Crawford. Beckett with a stomach virus. We are the most feared team in baseball. These minor hiccups are mearly a distraction for the faint of heart. This team is regrouping.</P>

You Yankee fans can fantasize about being in first place in June. You can't hold back the inevidable. </P>

In the words ofIvan Drago.</P>

"You will lose"</P>

And we know what happened to Apollo Creed.</P>

[/quote]

how'd that work out for him??

Who call his team america team and then qoutes Ivan Drago??

<FONT size=5>You sir represent all that is evil to this country
    </FONT>

You will bow down to Americas REAL team - THE NEW YORK YANKEEs
    [/quote]</P>

Matt, this may be the nicest thing you have ever said to me.</P>

I love you too, man!! (I'm holding back the tears......and failing)</P>
    Get well soon 80.

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Morehead State"]

First 2 game losing streak in 3 weeks. This is a special team. Coming back from 2-10.</p>

We all know they are the best team in baseball. Buchholz on the DL along with Crawford. Beckett with a stomach virus. We are the most feared team in baseball. These minor hiccups are mearly a distraction for the faint of heart. This team is regrouping.</p>

You Yankee fans can fantasize about being in first place in June. You can't hold back the inevidable. </p>

In the words ofIvan Drago.</p>

"You will lose"</p>

And we know what happened to Apollo Creed.</p>[/quote]

You sir represent all that is evil to this country

[/quote].......and we're off. Straight out of the gate is MMB with an early lead. Right behind him on the outside edge is MH, biting at the bit for his chance to pass, Pizz is on the heels of MH, but his horse looks gased. Wait a minute where's LT? He didn't start the race, he's signing autographs and posing for pictures!

[quote user="lttaylor56"]The first one gave us the introduction to "human exploration" as MH put it nicely. The belief that a good hearted underdog could prevail with hard work and hope. Rocky II continued with similar storyline as the first one. Hollywood switched it up and took us a couple of steps further with Rocky III with the creation of the bigger than life Clubber Lang, Mickey's death and Appollo training Rocky for the Clubber re-match. I'm thinking Rocky III came out around 83-84. Sports Science had progressed rapidly since the beginning of the Rocky series as evident in Stallone &amp; Carl Weather's physique's that were clearly taking advantage of pharmaceuticals at that time. Rocky IV creates and even larger foe with Dragar, a complete David and Goliath story. Rocky V was prob my least favorite with that big kid that wanted Rock's help. I thought Rocky VI(the most recent) wrapped up the saga in a nice way.

Agree with Pizz on the russian flick getting somewhat political. Even Rocky's dialogue at the end was cheesy regarding us vs russia.

To this day, Rocky IV is part of my night before pre-powerlifting competition ritual.

[/quote]</P>

lol....Rocky III and V were awful movies.
    Tommy Morrison playing Tommy the Machine Gunn in Rocky V right? He's in the Fight Night game I have. Didn't that get the HIV virus, and then try to hide it or something?</P>
    Oderint Dum Metuant

[quote user="lttaylor56"][quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="JPizzack"][quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="JPizzack"]

[quote user="lttaylor56"]Prob my fav of the Rocky series, Rocky IV in Russia. After the Mr. Potato head tapping of the boxing gloves and Apollo's first realization of Drago's strength. There was an ominous feel from that point forward that the outcome was not going to be good.[/quote]</P>

Yea?? I feel like alot of ppl say that...
    I like it, but I like Rocky and Rocky II the best I think.

Maybe I read into it a bit much, but I always felt Rocky IV was a total exploitation of the Cold War lol. Like, at the end, all the Russians are cheering for Rocky? Really? Who buys into this ****? lol.
    My buddy at work always jokes that Rocky saved the world in that one haha.
    That being said, it is still a movie I like </P>

[/quote]</P>

The original "Rocky" was the only real good film of the entire series.</P>

Every other was an exploitation of something or another. The original was at least an attempt at some human exploration.</P>

[/quote]</P>

I guess I agree. I mean I feel the first 2 are basically the same thing anyway. But youre right, the first one was the only good movie.
    </P>

[/quote]</P>

I thought the first one had some really poignant scenes. It was an exploration of a broken down underachiever, when he was put in this bizaare situation, with an opportunity to find something in himself.</P>

The second was just an attemp to resolve the (what I believe to be secondary) storyline of the fight with Creed. Rocky II was just an attemp to cash out further.</P>

[/quote]With the poignancy(word?) Both #3(MIckey) and #4(apollo) used the death of someone close to Rocky to propel his drive to overcome adversity. The two were similar progressing Rocky thru mourning, despair, depression, waking up, training and victory. All things that the average Joe can relate to.
    [/quote]</P>

It was all contrived sentiment after the first Rocky. It all came out of the generic Hollywood playbook from then on.</P>

I disagree (respectfully) Rocky was the only good film of the bunch.</P>
    Get well soon 80.

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="JPizzack"]

[quote user="lttaylor56"]Prob my fav of the Rocky series, Rocky IV in Russia. After the Mr. Potato head tapping of the boxing gloves and Apollo's first realization of Drago's strength. There was an ominous feel from that point forward that the outcome was not going to be good.[/quote]</p>

Maybe I read into it a bit much, but I always felt Rocky IV was a total exploitation of the Cold War lol. Like, at the end, all the Russians are cheering for Rocky? Really? Who buys into this ****? lol.
    That being said, it is still a movie I like </p>

[/quote]</p>

The original "Rocky" was the only real good film of the entire series.</p>

Every other was an exploitation of something or another. The original was at least an attempt at some human exploration.</p>[/quote]

rocky 2 was pretty legit

And i'm a sucker for <u>Rocky 3 i think it was when Hulk</u> body slammed him out of the ring an d Mr. T landed some shots
    [/quote]Hulk--"the ultimate male, vs. the ultimate meatball" Thunderlips, in the flesh Babby! My uncle worked as an electrician at madison sq garden his entire career. He got me a maybe 3' x 2' painting of hulk in his yellow trademark trunks in the ring--it's awesome!

[quote user="lttaylor56"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Morehead State"]

First 2 game losing streak in 3 weeks. This is a special team. Coming back from 2-10.</P>

We all know they are the best team in baseball. Buchholz on the DL along with Crawford. Beckett with a stomach virus. We are the most feared team in baseball. These minor hiccups are mearly a distraction for the faint of heart. This team is regrouping.</P>

You Yankee fans can fantasize about being in first place in June. You can't hold back the inevidable. </P>

In the words ofIvan Drago.</P>

"You will lose"</P>

And we know what happened to Apollo Creed.</P>

[/quote]

[/quote].......and we're off. Straight out of the gate is MMB with an early lead. Right behind him on the outside edge is MH, biting at the bit for his chance to pass, Pizz is on the heels of MH, but his horse looks gased. Wait a minute where's LT? He didn't start the race, he's signing autographs and posing for pictures!
    [/quote]</P>

Hah!!</P>

The debate doesn't ever really start until Matt calls me "Davenlike".</P>
    Get well soon 80.

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]

[/quote]</P>

ha....sir, you do have a point with that...</P>
    Oderint Dum Metuant

[quote user="JPizzack"]

[quote user="lttaylor56"]The first one gave us the introduction to "human exploration" as MH put it nicely. The belief that a good hearted underdog could prevail with hard work and hope. Rocky II continued with similar storyline as the first one. Hollywood switched it up and took us a couple of steps further with Rocky III with the creation of the bigger than life Clubber Lang, Mickey's death and Appollo training Rocky for the Clubber re-match. I'm thinking Rocky III came out around 83-84. Sports Science had progressed rapidly since the beginning of the Rocky series as evident in Stallone &amp; Carl Weather's physique's that were clearly taking advantage of pharmaceuticals at that time. Rocky IV creates and even larger foe with Dragar, a complete David and Goliath story. Rocky V was prob my least favorite with that big kid that wanted Rock's help. I thought Rocky VI(the most recent) wrapped up the saga in a nice way.

Agree with Pizz on the russian flick getting somewhat political. Even Rocky's dialogue at the end was cheesy regarding us vs russia.

To this day, Rocky IV is part of my night before pre-powerlifting competition ritual.

[/quote]</p>

lol....Rocky III and V were awful movies.
    Tommy Morrison playing Tommy the Machine Gunn in Rocky V right? He's in the Fight Night game I have. Didn't that get the HIV virus, and then try to hide it or something?</p>[/quote]I recall Gunn-getting into some stuff re: hiv or something and issues witht he commission. V was terrible. It's a bodybuilding thing for III + IV and me. Those guy's were jacked up.

[quote user="JPizzack"]

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]

[/quote]</P>

ha....sir, you do have a point with that...</P>

[/quote]</P>

Have you seen Brigette Nielsen lately?</P>

It went downhill fast for that chick.</P>
    Get well soon 80.

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="lttaylor56"][quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="JPizzack"][quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="JPizzack"]

[quote user="lttaylor56"]Prob my fav of the Rocky series, Rocky IV in Russia. After the Mr. Potato head tapping of the boxing gloves and Apollo's first realization of Drago's strength. There was an ominous feel from that point forward that the outcome was not going to be good.[/quote]</p>

That being said, it is still a movie I like </p>

[/quote]</p>

The original "Rocky" was the only real good film of the entire series.</p>

Every other was an exploitation of something or another. The original was at least an attempt at some human exploration.</p>

[/quote]</p>

I guess I agree. I mean I feel the first 2 are basically the same thing anyway. But youre right, the first one was the only good movie.
    </p>

[/quote]</p>

I thought the first one had some really poignant scenes. It was an exploration of a broken down underachiever, when he was put in this bizaare situation, with an opportunity to find something in himself.</p>

The second was just an attemp to resolve the (what I believe to be secondary) storyline of the fight with Creed. Rocky II was just an attemp to cash out further.</p>

[/quote]With the poignancy(word?) Both #3(MIckey) and #4(apollo) used the death of someone close to Rocky to propel his drive to overcome adversity. The two were similar progressing Rocky thru mourning, despair, depression, waking up, training and victory. All things that the average Joe can relate to.
    [/quote]</p>

It was all contrived sentiment after the first Rocky. It all came out of the generic Hollywood playbook from then on.</p>

I disagree (respectfully) Rocky was the only good film of the bunch.</p>[/quote]True in those respects for someone who strictly watches the movie for entertainment. Those movies mean much more to me.....Stallone obsessed.