Re: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

[quote user="Morehead State"]I have a particular hatred for the lottory.

My friend Bill Moffatt got hooked on scratch tickets. Charged over $40,000.00 on his own cards, including opening accounts his wife didn't know about. Then he started charging them on his company credit card.</P>

Then he hung himself, 500 feet behind his back yard in September of 2003.</P>

The states where he bought those tickets of course were very happy to have the money. Its an acceptable bit of "collateral damage" for the collective good. Obviously a price they are willing to pay.</P>

[/quote]</P>

wow, thats awful man...sorry to hear that. </P>

i thought the sale of lottery tickets on credit and debit cards was strictly prohibited??!
    well, clearly there are ways around it to get cash...so i guess thats a moot point...</P>
    Oderint Dum Metuant

[quote user="JPizzack"][quote user="Morehead State"]I have a particular hatred for the lottory.

My friend Bill Moffatt got hooked on scratch tickets. Charged over $40,000.00 on his own cards, including opening accounts his wife didn't know about. Then he started charging them on his company credit card.</P>

Then he hung himself, 500 feet behind his back yard in September of 2003.</P>

The states where he bought those tickets of course were very happy to have the money. Its an acceptable bit of "collateral damage" for the collective good. Obviously a price they are willing to pay.</P>

[/quote]</P>

wow, thats awful man...sorry to hear that. </P>

i thought the sale of lottery tickets on credit and debit cards was strictly prohibited??!
    well, clearly there are ways around it to get cash...so i guess thats a moot point...</P>

[/quote]</P>

The worst thing is that his wife found out about the $40,000 when they tried to refinance thier mortgage. he promised to go to GA and they then folded that 40 grand into their new mortgage. So she was on the hook for it when he died.</P>

And this guy wasn't some weakling. he was one of the funniest, best guys you could ever meet. he was Craig McTavish's best friend. When McTavish had that drunk driving manslaughter conviction, Billy was the only one of his friends to drive up to Maine regularly and visit him in jail. they played hockey at Lowell University together.</P>

Kase would have loved him, he was a great hockey player.</P>
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

bllaaaang blaaaang

[quote user="dezzzR"]

bllaaaang blaaaang
    [/quote]</P>

I guess they're less hideous than the 07 rings.</P>

[quote user="DavenIII"]
    I did know that, but I also know I'm not gonna be the only guy still at work if our office pool wins so I still go in anyhow, also, If I won I'd just buy a house outright and put the rest in the bank, I wouldn't tell anyone (although I'm sure they'd find out) and I'd only help those really in need and my immediate family....I'd continue to work as normal...if anything I might buy a bowling alley instead of doing what I do now.

people go bankrupt because they have no concept of money, they get a few million dollars (even 20-30 million) and they think they can't spend it all, they want to help everyone, they think they can do whatever they want, it's the same reason athletes go broke as well, you just have to act as you always have and make a few good investments with the money.

(with 500 Million though, if it did go to one person....It'd almost be hard to spend that much lol)
    [/quote]</P>

First thing to do is move.
    people will find a way to try their hardest to leach of you.
    When it comes to loved ones and those close to me, i'd make sure they live debt free where possible, but that's it. it's too hard to be pressured to do anything else, unless theres other immediate needs that i would like to help with.

I'd LIKE to think that anyone with any sense would buy a house, keep enough liquid to live comfortably, and sit on the rest till later. But, thats asking alot for most ppl to be smart enough to do that. lol</P>
    Oderint Dum Metuant

[quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="dezzzR"]

bllaaaang blaaaang
    [/quote]</p>

I guess they're less hideous than the 07 rings.</p>[/quote]yeaaa im not crazy about the blue around the lombardis, but its still pretty nice.

All-Pro

I believe in small government and the power of the individual to run his/her life in the way they see fit.</p>

When did that become "Ultra Conservative"?</p>[/quote]

Started after the New Deal in the 30's I guess? when did they make the federal reserve? this country has been going away from what it was founded on for almost a hundred years now...our best times as a country are behind us.

the sad part is it's our fault, our society has become lazy, it doesn't want to support itself, is seems vast majority of American citizens just want the government to take care of them and we don't even care how they do it, we don't care about our rights anymore...I'm willing to bet most kids between the ages of 15-25 don't even really know what the Constitution is anymore....

it's a damn shame

[quote user="JPizzack"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="lttaylor56"]Reminds me of the song: "I wanna be a millionare so ****ing bad" Say you took the lump sum @ 240 mil-I could get you @14 mil a year in interest easily, virtually guaranteed for the rest of your life. Dream Baby, Dream.[/quote]</P>

Do you know that more than half of the big lottory winners end up bankrupt?</P>

Its a friggin scam where our State governments prey on the normal human weaknesses of its citizens.</P>

Its disgusting.</P>

[/quote]</P>

are you blaming a government money maker for people being stupid? i dont get it....

Are those people ending up bankrupt because of poor decisions? most likely.

Now, if by human weakness you mean ppl who are compulsive gamblers, and play lottery every with decent amounts of money....then yes i absolutely agree.

wow, i feel like every post i have made today has to defend normal people vs. stupid people.
    is this really what it has come to??? lol</P>[/quote]You do have good points today JP. A bit more aggressive than normal, but good points.

MH, I'm sorry about your friend. I hope he owed more than 50k, before he hung himself, but I guess everyone's tolerance level is different.

Dav-Exactly-what I was thinking, athletes fall into the same category. There should be required money education courses and direction to investors immediately at the time of signing to an nfl team or winning the lottery.

[quote user="dezzzR"]

bllaaaang blaaaang
    [/quote]</P>

I guess they're less hideous than the 07 rings.</P>[/quote]I love those rings!

[quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Morehead State"]

I believe in small government and the power of the individual to run his/her life in the way they see fit.</P>

When did that become "Ultra Conservative"?</P>

[/quote]

Started after the New Deal in the 30's I guess? when did they make the federal reserve? this country has been going away from what it was founded on for almost a hundred years now...our best times as a country are behind us.

the sad part is it's our fault, our society has become lazy, it doesn't want to support itself, is seems vast majority of American citizens just want the government to take care of them and we don't even care how they do it, we don't care about our rights anymore...I'm willing to bet most kids between the ages of 15-25 don't even really know what the Constitution is anymore....

it's a damn shame
    [/quote]</P>

Disagree. this will all change when it becomes clear that there isn't enough tax money in the world to give them what they want.</P>

Ultimately, our country always recovers and moves forward. Yes things are a tad discouraging now. The huge deficits incurred by Goerge Bush and Barack Obama, and the "Cradle to Grave" sense of entitlement will be replaced by hard truths about the need for human excellence for our country to move forward.</P>

</P>