+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

  1. #136331
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    The second SB he gets all the credit in the world for for me. He was the best player on the team and played great. The first SB season he played pretty badly for a lot of the season, including the MN game that Dez mentioned (I believe that was 07) and that horrific Buffalo game where KG would let him pass on third and long because he was so horrible that day. His playoff run was compitent in that he protected the ball which is the most important thing at the time. His productivity other wise was right around his average. (220 yards/game, 1,5 TD's per game). Tuck was the real MVP in that SB.
    So in my view he's had one great season. He was 4th in passing. Probably deserved a pro bowl. But other than that he's just been "very good". If he continues to play like he did last season, he's gunna be a HOF'r. No doubt about it. But lets see it.
    Oh and by the way Daven, by your standards Jim Plunkett is a HOF'r. Your "point system" is off base. I think the Hall has to be reserved for great players. Is Eli great? I don't know. Even if he is, he has to be for longer than 1 season.
    Get well soon 80.

  2. #136332
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    The second SB he gets all the credit in the world for for me. He was the best player on the team and played great. The first SB season he played pretty badly for a lot of the season, including the MN game that Dez mentioned (I believe that was 07) and that horrific Buffalo game where KG would let him pass on third and long because he was so horrible that day. His playoff run was compitent in that he protected the ball which is the most important thing at the time. His productivity other wise was right around his average. (220 yards/game, 1,5 TD's per game). Tuck was the real MVP in that SB.
    So in my view he's had one great season. He was 4th in passing. Probably deserved a pro bowl. But other than that he's just been "very good". If he continues to play like he did last season, he's gunna be a HOF'r. No doubt about it. But lets see it.
    Yes he had two bad games that season, every great QB (including his brother) has bad games...and I'll even give you that Eli's bad games are sometimes worse then other QB's bad games...when he loses it...he REALLY loses it.

    but the first SB he took our team down the field and scored the winning TD with seconds left, sure our defense held an explosive offense to minimal scoring to put him into that position....but once in that position he did what many...in fact MOST other QB's would not be able to do, he deserves a TON of credit for the first superbowl...perhaps more for the second....but he is a MAJOR reason we won the first one also.

  3. #136333
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Oh and by the way Daven, by your standards Jim Plunkett is a HOF'r. Your "point system" is off base. I think the Hall has to be reserved for great players. Is Eli great? I don't know. Even if he is, he has to be for longer than 1 season.
    Is Namath HOF worthy??

  4. #136334
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Oh and by the way Daven, by your standards Jim Plunkett is a HOF'r. Your "point system" is off base. I think the Hall has to be reserved for great players. Is Eli great? I don't know. Even if he is, he has to be for longer than 1 season.
    No I don't think he would, was plunkett a 2 Time Super Bowl MVP? no .... 1 time yes, and like Trent Dilfer...he was not very good outside of that.

    Eli's been VERY good (if not great) for 3 years straight statistically in my opinion, on top of that he's ALSO got 2 Super Bowl MVP's.

    you ask the question...

    Is Eli great?

    the answer is ALREADY....a resounding yes...anything he does from here on out is just extra, Eli is already a HOF calibur QB even if he stops right now.

  5. #136335
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,646
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Is Namath HOF worthy??
    I would say yes probably, the magnitude and the historical value of that super bowl he won weights a lot into it.

  6. #136336
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,809
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Is Namath HOF worthy??
    He's one of those guys who got in like Gail Sayers. They were truly great but were either hampered or had their careers cut short. I think the fact that he almost personally changed the NFL forever by bringing about the merger, plus his incredible talent got him in.

    Its another example that stats aren't the determining factor for the Hall like they are in baseball. Great players get in and very good players don't, no matter what the stats.

    If it was just stats, then Vinny Testeverde, Kerry Collins nad Steve Deberg would get to the Hall.
    Get well soon 80.

  7. #136337
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,819
    oh my what did I do...

  8. #136338
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    27,181
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Is Namath HOF worthy??
    is that rhetorical? lol...

    No.....
    he had 1 really good season, and overall, a rather low completion % as a QB, significantly worse INT seasons than Eli, a sub .500 winning record, and only had 130 career starts despite a 12 year career. I dont think he fits into the "Great QB" discussion personally.
    It's just that people get caught up in this cindarella story that happens always in the NFL...i mean, techincally we did the crazy underdog thing twice...lol
    Last edited by JPizzack; 08-08-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  9. #136339
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30,199
    Quote Originally Posted by DavenIII View Post
    I would say yes probably, the magnitude and the historical value of that super bowl he won weights a lot into it.
    True and I agree with you but if you put Namath on the Jets now, him and Tebow would be fighting for the back up job.


    Which brings me to my point. Now there was really no historical value (besides beating a 18-0 team) with Elis 2 superbowls BUT has there ever been a qb in the NFL that has been more clutch, reliable, dependable ect. with championship games(or any other games) on the line, than Eli Manning? He not only came through once but twice in two of the most critical moments.

  10. #136340
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30,199
    Quote Originally Posted by byron View Post
    oh my what did I do...
    You jump started thee thread. You should be PROUD!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts