1. #138501
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,290
    Quote Originally Posted by J****ack View Post
    unrelated to this particular election.....

    how is our electoral system so completely ****ed up? Every other democracy in the world has a better way than us. We let local governments choose how to report votes, what machines to use, and decide on certain exceptions(whether polls stay open for lines etc.)....

    Other places have agencies do it. impartial non-govt agencies. they all use the same machines.

    for such a great country, we sure do suck at this.
    We are a nation of states. Its the essence of our Federalism. Its a country of over 300MM people.
    The problem with the electoral system here is the winner take all nature of the states. Its not the electoral collge really. They should vote by congressional districts and award the two Senate electors to the winner of the states.
    Far more democratic.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  2. #138502
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,921
    Quote Originally Posted by J****ack View Post
    unrelated to this particular election.....

    how is our electoral system so completely ****ed up? Every other democracy in the world has a better way than us. We let local governments choose how to report votes, what machines to use, and decide on certain exceptions(whether polls stay open for lines etc.)....

    Other places have agencies do it. impartial non-govt agencies. they all use the same machines.

    for such a great country, we sure do suck at this.
    We really do suck at this.

    And I HATE the electoral college voting process. Always have.

  3. #138503
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,290
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    We really do suck at this.

    And I HATE the electoral college voting process. Always have.
    To me its not the electoral college. Its the winner take all system. If Candidate A wins Ohio by 5000 votes, he gets all 18 electoral votes. The electoral votes a state gets are determined by the total congressional districts plus 2 Senate seats.
    What they need to do award electoral votes by congressional district and give the 2 votes from the senate seats to the winner of the state.
    It still empowers the states while being more democratic.
    Romney could actually win the popular vote by a lot and still lose the election.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #138504
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    26,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    To me its not the electoral college. Its the winner take all system. If Candidate A wins Ohio by 5000 votes, he gets all 18 electoral votes. The electoral votes a state gets are determined by the total congressional districts plus 2 Senate seats.
    What they need to do award electoral votes by congressional district and give the 2 votes from the senate seats to the winner of the state.
    It still empowers the states while being more democratic.
    Romney could actually win the popular vote by a lot and still lose the election.
    I agree it could work BETTER that way, but idk...

    any change and this country would be in a uproar about "fraud"
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  5. #138505
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,921
    Im nervous....

  6. #138506
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,921
    Quote Originally Posted by J****ack View Post
    I agree it could work BETTER that way, but idk...

    any change and this country would be in a uproar about "fraud"
    Yea thats another thing. I mean people are going ape **** over the idea of having to show an id. You can never win. To many opinions and not enough leadership.

  7. #138507
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,290
    Quote Originally Posted by J****ack View Post
    I agree it could work BETTER that way, but idk...

    any change and this country would be in a uproar about "fraud"
    well its not easy to change. It has to happen state to state, because its the states that decide how to apportion their electors. Maine and Nebraska (I believe) have similar systems to what I described.
    States are reluctant to do it because it devalues the impact of the state elections. And of course the spending in that state by campaigns.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  8. #138508
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    26,719
    oh btw, i disagree with the senate vote you were referring to. (unless im misreading)
    If the popular votes are going to the republican candidate for example, than in this particular area, that one electoral vote should instantly say RED.....if another area does the opposite, BLUE. Aside from determining the number of electoral votes each state gets, the senators and congressman should have NO role in this.
    Last edited by JPizzack; 11-06-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  9. #138509
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    26,719
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Yea thats another thing. I mean people are going ape **** over the idea of having to show an id. You can never win. To many opinions and not enough leadership.
    Well, that's a fine line of supression vs. voter fraud. we know the stats. And there is very very little voter fraud. Mistakes like 12348902384x more common than fraud.

    The US Patriot Act is what put way too much focus on IDs. I'm fairly well educated on this topic actually, as it's a huge part of banking. Can't have bank accounts unless you can be properly IDed, and it's a small list of acceptable documentation. When youre a registered vote, you are on a massive searchable database. One that i just used this morning to see where I vote today (they changed it since last election).

    There are numerous ways to identify people, and more gov't IDs than just state issued ones. They should revisit the laws in some of the states in order to fix this. I had to drag my grandmother to the DMV because she doesn't drive, she's not as mobile as she used to be since shes 86, just so we could get her a non-drivers ID. I know shes voting republican until she dies, even though she probably doesn't even know whos running, but...thats her perogative. lol

    oh wait...yes she does. she referred to them as "The black one, and the shady one" lmao. crazy Nana....
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  10. #138510
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,290
    Quote Originally Posted by J****ack View Post
    oh btw, i disagree with the senate vote you were referring to. (unless im misreading)
    If the popular votes are going to the republican candidate for example, than in this particular area, that one electoral vote should instantly say RED.....if another area does the opposite, BLUE. Aside from determining the number of electoral votes each state gets, the senators and congressman should have NO role in this.
    No no You misunderstand. The members of Congress have would have no vote. It would just break down to Congressional districts. I am in the first district of Mas. My district will probably go Romney. Maybe the only one. That should be one electoral vote for Mass. Instead its just a statewide election and the winner gets all the electoral votes. thats less democratic.

    So In Ohio they have 18 electoral votes, which means they have 16 congressional districts. So if 9 districts go with Romney and 7 with Obama, and Romney wins the total vote in the state, Romney would get 11 electoral votes and Obama 7. The way it is now, Romney would get all 18.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts