1. #138971
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,310
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    According to Elias - Eli Manning is fourth-fastest active QB to reach 200 career TD passes (132 games). Big bro Peyton was fastest (106)
    Rivers is on pace to do it in 9 fewer games. Does that make him better? Didn't think so.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  2. #138972
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Rivers is on pace to do it in 9 fewer games. Does that make him better? Didn't think so.
    its almost like breaking passing records doesn't mean anything anymore....these QB's are playing a completely different game.

  3. #138973
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,310
    Quote Originally Posted by DavenIII View Post
    its almost like breaking passing records doesn't mean anything anymore....these QB's are playing a completely different game.
    As i said in another thread, to me the most important stat for measuring a QB's play is the ratio between TD's and Int's.
    All the great QB's have a better than 2 to 1 ratio, except our boy of course. He's only done it twice I believe.
    In today's league with these rules, its a minimum expectation. Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Ben...those guys are 3, 4, 5, 6 to one or even better.
    I mean Russell Wilson has more TD's and fewer Int's than Eli. And he doesn't have our weapons.
    This does drive me nuts about Eli.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #138974
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    As i said in another thread, to me the most important stat for measuring a QB's play is the ratio between TD's and Int's.
    All the great QB's have a better than 2 to 1 ratio, except our boy of course. He's only done it twice I believe.
    In today's league with these rules, its a minimum expectation. Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Ben...those guys are 3, 4, 5, 6 to one or even better.
    I mean Russell Wilson has more TD's and fewer Int's than Eli. And he doesn't have our weapons.
    This does drive me nuts about Eli.
    I don't think you can rate QB's just by that respect, and all the great QB's do not have a 2 to 1 ratio, when you have a good running game and you are always ahead in games it's a lot easier to play it safe and keep your int's down, I don't want a QB whose playing it safe when we need a win or a comeback....mistakes will happen but I'd rather he try to stuff it in somewhere when the games on the line then take a sack to lose the game.

    it's not as simple as just expecting a good TD/Int ratio...it's about when and how those Int's vs TD's happen.

    Also I still don't know if Nicks and Cruz are making Eli look good or Eli is making Nicks and Cruz look good, If I had to guess though I think it's the later.

  5. #138975
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    All the great QB's have a better than 2 to 1 ratio
    Great QB's that have less then a 2 to 1 TD to Int Ratio.

    Joe Montana
    Terry Bradshaw
    Troy Aikman
    Bart Starr
    Dan Marino

    I mean come on MH

  6. #138976
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,310
    Quote Originally Posted by DavenIII View Post
    I don't think you can rate QB's just by that respect, and all the great QB's do not have a 2 to 1 ratio, when you have a good running game and you are always ahead in games it's a lot easier to play it safe and keep your int's down, I don't want a QB whose playing it safe when we need a win or a comeback....mistakes will happen but I'd rather he try to stuff it in somewhere when the games on the line then take a sack to lose the game.

    it's not as simple as just expecting a good TD/Int ratio...it's about when and how those Int's vs TD's happen.

    Also I still don't know if Nicks and Cruz are making Eli look good or Eli is making Nicks and Cruz look good, If I had to guess though I think it's the later.
    Nicks and Cruz are one of the top tandems in the league. Eli's picks are rarely throws where he trusted his guy to make a play and they didn't. They are so often horrible decisions or throws. No...Eli has a definite problem with picks. If he was throwing a lot of TD's that would be one thing, but he's never really had high TD totals. If you're going to throw 15 to 18 picks per year its OK if you're throwing 30 to 40 TD's. He just doesn't do that.
    So I would argue with your "take chances" theory. If that was the case, he'd have a lot more TD's.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  7. #138977
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,310
    Quote Originally Posted by DavenIII View Post
    Great QB's that have less then a 2 to 1 TD to Int Ratio.

    Joe Montana
    Terry Bradshaw
    Troy Aikman
    Bart Starr
    Dan Marino

    I mean come on MH
    Now how about some from this era with these rules.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  8. #138978
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Now how about some from this era with these rules.
    Put it this way.. I expect today's QB when they are having decent years to be over 2 to 1. I suppose when your still learning to play your numbers are different. But in your prime, its pretty baseline to me.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  9. #138979
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    26,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Now how about some from this era with these rules.

    OHHHH **** NO...you cant pull that argument now!!! Not after saying for god knows how long that this is a different era when QBs are babied, and stats arent everything. I can't believe im even reading this!!!!
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  10. #138980
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Nicks and Cruz are one of the top tandems in the league. Eli's picks are rarely throws where he trusted his guy to make a play and they didn't. They are so often horrible decisions or throws. No...Eli has a definite problem with picks. If he was throwing a lot of TD's that would be one thing, but he's never really had high TD totals. If you're going to throw 15 to 18 picks per year its OK if you're throwing 30 to 40 TD's. He just doesn't do that.
    So I would argue with your "take chances" theory. If that was the case, he'd have a lot more TD's.
    you are just trying to drum up an argument with Eli Hate again, I'm not falling for it this time MH, you and I both know that Eli is generally pretty accurate, that he has MADE Nicks and Cruz into one of the top tandems in the league and that sans perhaps Aaron Rodgers/Peyton Manning and Tom Brady there isn't a better QB in the NFL right now.

    you can find something wrong with every single player in the league if you stare at their stat line long enough but I don't think that means anything, Eli does not have a problem with picks when it matters...when his team falls behind does he maybe make some poor decisions or try to force things to work with bad results? yes he does....but that's not something I'm going to get on him for because this whole entire offense of ours relies extremely heavily on him.

    give Mark Sanchez Cruz and Nicks and Bradshaw and the jets record would look exactly the same as it does now in my opinion, Eli makes our receivers better...so the "he has weapons" argument doesn't fly with me sorry.
    Last edited by DavenIII; 11-27-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts