Thread: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    all punk is trash
    youre the WORST!!!
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    all punk is trash
    Not really.
    But REAL punk came from NYC in the mid-late seventies and then migrated to London.
    There are particular characteristics that make punk......punk.
    1. Its anti-social lyrics
    2. Its very fast pace in playing style
    3. The general angry attitude.

I know a lot of bands like to call themselves "punk" because it sounds cool to say that about themselves. And there are little Pizzlesticks running around who want to believe it. But usually those bands are full of ****.

Social Distortion (who I like a lot) ISN'T punk. They just claimed to be.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    no I definitely agree that this is where it originated. Things change though.....that exact type of music doesnt exist anymore, so the definition has changed. they spawn a style of music. From punk originated hardcore, like Black Flag, and Bad brains. it was still punk though....and eventually it just became more pop in the 90s. different SOUND, same style of play, and DEFINITELY cleaner sound lol
    Yes but once punk becomes pop-punk. It stops being punk. A musical style can evolve to the point where it no longer becomes that musical style.

Punk (by definition) is anti-pop. Its a revolt against the norm.
    "Pop-Punk" is a label that some record company exec. came up with so little 12 year old Pizzlestick will tell Mommy to buy him a record. And ACTUALLY think he's listening to punk.

I'm not even into music anymore.

I really still like the older alternative stuff when I was a kidL

Linkin Park, blink-182.

I'm starting to like Mumford and Sons, AWOLNATION, Imagine Dragons is pretty good to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Not really.
    But REAL punk came from NYC in the mid-late seventies and then migrated to London.
    There are particular characteristics that make punk......punk.
    1. Its anti-social lyrics
    2. Its very fast pace in playing style
    3. The general angry attitude.

I know a lot of bands like to call themselves "punk" because it sounds cool to say that about themselves. And there are little Pizzlesticks running around who want to believe it. But usually those bands are full of ****.

Social Distortion (who I like a lot) ISN'T punk. They just claimed to be.
    my point to you has always been: that exact type of music doesn't exist anymore. nobody makes music that sounds like the sex pistol, because it wouldnt sell today. all the early 80s punk evolved to what it is today. so while it may not be punk to our shared definition (btw, i agree with all your bullet points), thats what it is these days.

since everyone tries to be so "unique" (yea right), there are so many sub genres that people created.
    emo, screamo, powerpop, popcore, easycore, post-hardcore, and like 20 other names......but they all were influenced by the original punk sound. THATS my point.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Yes but once punk becomes pop-punk. It stops being punk. A musical style can evolve to the point where it no longer becomes that musical style.

Punk (by definition) is anti-pop. Its a revolt against the norm.
    "Pop-Punk" is a label that some record company exec. came up with so little 12 year old Pizzlestick will tell Mommy to buy him a record. And ACTUALLY think he's listening to punk.
    lmao

while I agree with that anti-pop statement....lets be honest...there was nobody who DIDNT know the Sex Pistols....pop=popular. so even the originators were pop. lol
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    my point to you has always been: that exact type of music doesn't exist anymore. nobody makes music that sounds like the sex pistol, because it wouldnt sell today. all the early 80s punk evolved to what it is today. so while it may not be punk to our shared definition (btw, i agree with all your bullet points), thats what it is these days.

since everyone tries to be so "unique" (yea right), there are so many sub genres that people created.
    emo, screamo, powerpop, popcore, easycore, post-hardcore, and like 20 other names......but they all were influenced by the original punk sound. THATS my point.

You have to understand Pizz, all the genres and sub-genre's mean nothing. They are attempts to huddle the masses into these little compartments. They reduce music and musicians in neat packages to make their marketing easier.

You are the victim of the manipulation of these huge record companies. I'm shocked you could be so easily controlled.

You music elitists are worse than movie/film elitists.

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    You music elitists are worse than movie/film elitists.
    By your definition, I'm probably one of those as well.

BTW...How do you define "music elitist"?

You have to understand Pizz, all the genres and sub-genre's mean nothing. They are attempts to huddle the masses into these little compartments. They reduce music and musicians in neat packages to make their marketing easier.

You are the victim of the manipulation of these huge record companies. I'm shocked you could be so easily controlled.
    HAHAHAHAHA

I use them in my head in order to have these conversations, actually....lol

I call it all punk =P

It's funny that you called me controlled and manipulated by record labels lol......I havent *purchased* any music in almost 10 years.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

+ Reply to Thread