Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    http://www.giants.com/media-vault/vi...7-0e7e913a8d69

TC "The philosophy of the NY Giants has always been BPA, BPA, BPA"

Jerry Reese: He(Pugh) was best player available and a need for us.
    Every GM says that. It makes them sound like "purists". Its some romantic notion that is complete BS.
    Is it your view that Trufant, Rhodes, or Floyd were rated lower on ANY Gm's board going into this draft?
    Pugh was generally rated between 50 and 60 on most draft reviews.

The reality is that JR had put himself in a bad spot by having a huge hole in our roster with no starting RT. When Fluker went he panicked.
    Fluker made sense at 19. When there was a run on O linemen he allowed himself desperately chase need.
    Xavier Rhodes is a far better prospect than Justin Pugh.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Me too...but little Dezzy brought it back.

This draft supported my view that JR is not strictly a BPA drafter. I've cited many times where he drafted for need in round one. More times than not.
    As a matter of fact, in his 8 drafts, he's gone strictly BPA in round 1 twice.
    Every other pick addressed a glaring need. This season was actually the most acute example of that when he reached into round 2 with the 19th pick to chase our desperate need for a RT.
    here's what I think the giants decided to go online in the first round of this draft..... they made a list of players they liked and took the bpa player left from/on that list at nineteen....pretty simple really call it a reach "or whatever" I call it a premeditated move and yes it was a need move.....In my mind you want a good online that's going to be around for a while "years" you draft it....and it wasn't that much of a reach they would have missed him had they waited till their second pick

I just dont understand why it has to be one or the other with you. Pugh was BPA AND a need. If we didnt take him the Cowboys or the Bears most likely would have. That alone increases his value.

All-Pro
    Every GM says that. It makes them sound like "purists". Its some romantic notion that is complete BS.
    Is it your view that Trufant, Rhodes, or Floyd were rated lower on ANY Gm's board going into this draft?
    Pugh was generally rated between 50 and 60 on most draft reviews.

The reality is that JR had put himself in a bad spot by having a huge hole in our roster with no starting RT. When Fluker went he panicked.
    Fluker made sense at 19. When there was a run on O linemen he allowed himself desperately chase need.
    Xavier Rhodes is a far better prospect than Justin Pugh.
    Jerry paniced ? come on man
    Last edited by byron; 05-07-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    http://www.giants.com/media-vault/vi...7-0e7e913a8d69

TC "The philosophy of the NY Giants has always been BPA, BPA, BPA"

Jerry Reese: He(Pugh) was best player available and a need for us.
    Pugh was not the BPA.....neither was Hakeem Nicks, technically....JPP, yes, most likely was. Same for Prince....

I take that quote as saying we needed an OT, and he was the best available. which to me, is different.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by byron View Post
    Jerry paniced ? come on man
    He panicked B. He had NO RT on the roster. At least not a starter. That's on him. He cut DD's pay by 80% which demonstrates that the see him strictly as a backup.
    He said he had Fluker rated higher than Pugh. (obviously) NO ONE thought Fluker was going to be gone at 19.
    But when there was a run on O linemen, JR had great talent, top 10 talent, absolutely drop in his lap. But because of his miscalculation both in failing to secure a starting RT in free agency, AND misjudging the way the draft would go, he had boxed himself in. He had to pass on superior prospects because he was forced to draft to need at RT.
    He ****ed up the first round. His other picks were fine as far as I'm concerned. I call it panic. You can call it something else if you want. But he screwed up.....PERIOD!!!

To suggest for a second that Pugh was the BPA at 19 with the kind of great talent that fell is naive on steroids.
    Last edited by Morehead State; 05-07-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    Pugh was not the BPA.....neither was Hakeem Nicks, technically....JPP, yes, most likely was. Same for Prince....

I take that quote as saying we needed an OT, and he was the best available. which to me, is different.
    Exactly Pizz. JPP and Prince were both BPA.
    Ross, KP, Nicks, Pugh and Wilson were definitely needs picks.

And I'm not saying I don't like needs picks. That can be a decent strategy based on how far off you have a player rated with your pick. But reaching as far as they did for Pugh, and the reasons why they had to, is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by byron View Post
    here's what I think the giants decided to go online in the first round of this draft..... they made a list of players they liked and took the bpa player left from/on that list at nineteen....pretty simple really call it a reach "or whatever" I call it a premeditated move and yes it was a need move.....In my mind you want a good online that's going to be around for a while "years" you draft it....and it wasn't that much of a reach they would have missed him had they waited till their second pick
    this is essentially my POV.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Exactly Pizz. JPP and Prince were both BPA.
    Ross, KP, Nicks, Pugh and Wilson were definitely needs picks.

And I'm not saying I don't like needs picks. That can be a decent strategy based on how far off you have a player rated with your pick. But reaching as far as they did for Pugh, and the reasons why they had to, is the problem.
    I disagreee with the thought that he was reaching....the only "Panicking" Reese did was in thinking that his boy Pugh would be gone before our 2nd pick. It's possible that he would have been, but he took a 2nd rounder in the 1st essentially. I'm not even saying it was BAD, but you and I share the same side of the BPA argument FO SHO. i dont even care HOW the Giants draft, just so long as they get quality players, and make sure we fill the roster adequately.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

What do you guys think of that Aaron Curry visit? If health wasn't an issue, I'd LOVE that guy. Coming out of the 09 draft, he was my favorite LB.

Buttttt I don't trust injured guys. So unless he's pennies, idk how I'd feel about him. I guess "if the price is right" is my main point...
    Oderint Dum Metuant