1. #143821
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    28,802
    Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    What do you guys think of that Aaron Curry visit? If health wasn't an issue, I'd LOVE that guy. Coming out of the 09 draft, he was my favorite LB.

    Buttttt I don't trust injured guys. So unless he's pennies, idk how I'd feel about him. I guess "if the price is right" is my main point...
    Everyone keeps saying we need lbs but the giants are usually in nickle or their 3 safety sets so I dont see it as a big issue. Williams and whoever they bring in will do ok

  2. #143822
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    42,411
    Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    I disagreee with the thought that he was reaching....the only "Panicking" Reese did was in thinking that his boy Pugh would be gone before our 2nd pick. It's possible that he would have been, but he took a 2nd rounder in the 1st essentially. I'm not even saying it was BAD, but you and I share the same side of the BPA argument FO SHO. i dont even care HOW the Giants draft, just so long as they get quality players, and make sure we fill the roster adequately.
    There is no doubt that other teams were in the mode to reach as well. But Pugh wasn't "their guy" If anything, Fluker was. But they had to desperately fill that RT spot since JR ****ed up free agency and didn't get a solid vet.

    All the old rules on O linemen have changed since the new CBA. We have a shaved cap AND a rookie wage scale. So now all these GM's are going after these "non skill positions" (especially interior line and RT) in the draft and dumping their vets. All these guys like Eric Winston think they are worth more than they are. These GM's are scrambling for these guys because they can pay them peanuts compared to what vets get and focus the cash on QB and other skill guys.

    I'm sorry...but JR miscalculated this entire thing. Pugh is a mid second round talent and we picked him in the mid first round. We had top 10 talent available and we ****ing passed.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  3. #143823
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    25,606
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Everyone keeps saying we need lbs but the giants are usually in nickle or their 3 safety sets so I dont see it as a big issue. Williams and whoever they bring in will do ok
    I rather add ACTUAL talent at one position or the other rather than just run specific sets that come as a result of LACK of talent at said positions.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  4. #143824
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    He panicked B. He had NO RT on the roster. At least not a starter. That's on him. He cut DD's pay by 80% which demonstrates that the see him strictly as a backup.
    He said he had Fluker rated higher than Pugh. (obviously) NO ONE thought Fluker was going to be gone at 19.
    But when there was a run on O linemen, JR had great talent, top 10 talent, absolutely drop in his lap. But because of his miscalculation both in failing to secure a starting RT in free agency, AND misjudging the way the draft would go, he had boxed himself in. He had to pass on superior prospects because he was forced to draft to need at RT.
    He ****ed up the first round. His other picks were fine as far as I'm concerned. I call it panic. You can call it something else if you want. But he screwed up.....PERIOD!!!

    To suggest for a second that Pugh was the BPA at 19 with the kind of great talent that fell is naive on steroids.
    nah I'm not suggesting that pugh was bpa of all the players available at 19.... I'm saying they wanted online and he was the bpa left on their list of linemen ....its simple man they were going online all the way no panic at all ...and if needed be DD would have or maybe even will be the starter this year....I don't care what went down or how much they are paying him....you need a rt and he's all you got you play him....stop ****ting on David he's a great giant.....except reality

  5. #143825
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    42,411
    Quote Originally Posted by byron View Post
    nah I'm not suggesting that pugh was bpa of all the players available at 19.... I'm saying they wanted online and he was the bpa left on their list of linemen ....its simple man they were going online all the way no panic at all ...and if needed be DD would have or maybe even will be the starter this year....I don't care what went down or how much they are paying him....you need a rt and he's all you got you play him....stop ****ting on David he's a great giant.....except reality
    Well obviously he was the BPA at the specific position they needed.
    The problem I have is that we put ourselves in such a bad position at RT, that we had to chase the best tackle remaining even if it meant passing on far superior talent at other positions.
    In my book, that's bad drafting.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  6. #143826
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    28,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    There is no doubt that other teams were in the mode to reach as well. But Pugh wasn't "their guy" If anything, Fluker was. But they had to desperately fill that RT spot since JR ****ed up free agency and didn't get a solid vet.

    All the old rules on O linemen have changed since the new CBA. We have a shaved cap AND a rookie wage scale. So now all these GM's are going after these "non skill positions" (especially interior line and RT) in the draft and dumping their vets. All these guys like Eric Winston think they are worth more than they are. These GM's are scrambling for these guys because they can pay them peanuts compared to what vets get and focus the cash on QB and other skill guys.

    I'm sorry...but JR miscalculated this entire thing. Pugh is a mid second round talent and we picked him in the mid first round. We had top 10 talent available and we ****ing passed.
    We are also desperate to fill Linbacker and we didnt even take one. Reese can pick up the phone and start looking for a decent tackle right now if he wanted. Youre acting like free agency is over after the draft or theres no possible way they can pick up a decent tackle.

    And if vet tackles are so expensive right now like youre claiming, isnt a good thing we drafted one, especially with the cap so tight?
    It wasnt a panic move at all.

  7. #143827
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    There is no doubt that other teams were in the mode to reach as well. But Pugh wasn't "their guy" If anything, Fluker was. But they had to desperately fill that RT spot since JR ****ed up free agency and didn't get a solid vet.

    All the old rules on O linemen have changed since the new CBA. We have a shaved cap AND a rookie wage scale. So now all these GM's are going after these "non skill positions" (especially interior line and RT) in the draft and dumping their vets. All these guys like Eric Winston think they are worth more than they are. These GM's are scrambling for these guys because they can pay them peanuts compared to what vets get and focus the cash on QB and other skill guys.

    I'm sorry...but JR miscalculated this entire thing. Pugh is a mid second round talent and we picked him in the mid first round. We had top 10 talent available and we ****ing passed.
    Its all about the cap.... wtf with the reach word and what hell does it really mean ...even if he miscalculated who might be there at 19.... to say he panicked and made some kind of irrational decision is ridiculous he wasn't the only one I the room...somebody surly would have said jerry your flipping out calm down ....

  8. #143828
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    42,411
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    We are also desperate to fill Linbacker and we didnt even take one. Reese can pick up the phone and start looking for a decent tackle right now if he wanted. Youre acting like free agency is over after the draft or theres no possible way they can pick up a decent tackle.

    And if vet tackles are so expensive right now like youre claiming, isnt a good thing we drafted one, especially with the cap so tight?
    It wasnt a panic move at all.
    LB'rs don't have the impact in today's NFL anymore and JR knows it. Its all about up front on defense and having playmakers in the secondary to create turnovers.
    Especially in our scheme.

    And tackles will come down in price very quickly with the market the way it is,
    If we sign Eric Winston all with be forgiven for me.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  9. #143829
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Well obviously he was the BPA at the specific position they needed.
    The problem I have is that we put ourselves in such a bad position at RT, that we had to chase the best tackle remaining even if it meant passing on far superior talent at other positions.
    In my book, that's bad drafting.
    look man at some point you have to make such decisions to better the team as a whole the online needs to be rebuilt now not next year now

  10. #143830
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    42,411
    Quote Originally Posted by byron View Post
    Its all about the cap.... wtf with the reach word and what hell does it really mean ...even if he miscalculated who might be there at 19.... to say he panicked and made some kind of irrational decision is ridiculous he wasn't the only one I the room...somebody surly would have said jerry your flipping out calm down ....
    You don't get it B. The decision was made when we didn't deal with the gaping hole at RT in our roster...before the draft. The draft isn't for filling holes. Thats what free agency is for. The draft is about building your team.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts