Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Rudy, you answered my question before I think but I want to ask everyone else:

If my dad keeps looking for a job, but he hates every one of them and keeps making excuses on why he can't work for what he has been doing...and he's gotten to that point where he is asking me for money for gas in his car, cigarettes, and all this **** (promises to pay me back but doesn't), shouldn't I be really pissed off at my father?

I mean, I am a student paying for school and stuff, and I do feel bad that he lost his job and everything...but now he seems to be making huge amounts of excuses and it's taking a huge toll on me because I feel like I'm giving away money for useless stuff.

Bills and gas I understand, but when he's asking me to buy ice for the coolers and cigarettes for himself, isn't that a little over the line?
    Stop buying his stuff. It's like continuing to give a stray animal food. I know he's your father, but it's gotten out of hand. My mom lost her job two years ago, and it took her a while to find another one. At the time, I was working at am internship that paid me bank. She NEVER once asked me for money, and she was struggling. (I did lend her some anyway). She knows it's HER responsibility to go out and find another job. You're only a kid, and you can barely support yourself, now you have to support your whole family? No. And it sounds to me your father doesn't want to work. If he was in desperate need of a job, he wouldn't be hopping around.
    Finalized divorce from Victor Michael Walker Cruz November 23rd, 2014. 9:16 PM.

I gotta agree, Moke....it's not many times someone have to say someone is enabling their parents, but thats what it seems like. Not like it's your fault or anything, im just saying....

Your dad should be working doing whatever until he finds something he actually WANTS or however he wants to word it. That's how it works....that's how job hunting works....

Kind of a weird situation, i admit. But I dont think you should be giving him money for anything other than making sure he's getting to work, and making sure **** at your house is taken care of.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Yep, I've been doing his resume' and ****.

I've gotten sick of it, I actually told my dad that I am not giving him any more money if that's the case.

He needs to work, no matter what the age is.

He just shrugs it off and he's stubborn. My mom complains too, she babysits for a little money...doubt she can find anything else...but they are always arguing because my dad thinks that his money is his money. IT IS, but why the heck did he have kids then?

Then tell him YOUR money is YOURS. You support your parents when they are old and feeble. Not when youre a kid.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    Then tell him YOUR money is YOURS. You support your parents when they are old and feeble. Not when youre a kid.
    Yeah, for real. They always tell me "but we always supported you".

Understandable, but I'm trying to finish my education so I can make some good money...I have more **** to worry about than giving my dad money to buy cigarettes for god's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Yeah, for real. They always tell me "but we always supported you".

Understandable, but I'm trying to finish my education so I can make some good money...I have more **** to worry about than giving my dad money to buy cigarettes for god's sake.
    hard to hold **** like that over your parents' head...i can imagine....but tell them, sorry, but you dont have the means to do that yet. you are not responsible for your dad not working. end story.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

I dont know Moke, go easy on him. If he just lost his job, something he put a lot of money and got ****ed over if I remember correctly, his pride is hurting a bit. If you want to draw some lines thats fine, but support him through it, thats what families are for.

Thomas Richard Coughlin is a saint!

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    I dont know Moke, go easy on him. If he just lost his job, something he put a lot of money and got ****ed over if I remember correctly, his pride is hurting a bit. If you want to draw some lines thats fine, but support him through it, thats what families are for.
    Moke is in no financial position to support his family, Dezz. That's far too much stress for one kid to deal with.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

hard to hold **** like that over your parents' head...i can imagine....but tell them, sorry, but you dont have the means to do that yet. you are not responsible for your dad not working. end story.
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Moke is in no financial position to support his family, Dezz. That's far too much stress for one kid to deal with.

I barely make enough to support myself and what I need like JP said.

I am paying for my school for goodness sake so I don't have to put a loan on it. My parents should be proud of that, but I guess they don't get it.

And supporting isn't buying my dad cigarettes.

I told them I'll pay my share of cable and car insurance, but not little stuff that does not apply to me.