Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    They just signed the equivalent of A rod's contract on two players and neither was a pitcher.
    You can rationalize all you want. And you didn't take anyone away from anybody. Ellsbury was gone for us no matter what.
    And our signing a vet catcher was a good move. We succeeded last year by signing role players. We'll undoubtedly sign more of them to compliment our roster.
    We don't have to be desperate like the Yankees. We're the friggin champs.
    What the Yanks paid is pretty much what he was going to get from someone else anyway. I guess Ellsbury is now a "mercenary". This is nothing like the Arod deal. Nothing the Yanks have done so far this off season has been out of desperation. Again, we were in the race until the last week and a half of the season. Adding Mccan and Ellsbury and soon a starting pitcher will make us a much better team.

I say the word like too much. Horrible habit.

Thomas Richard Coughlin is a saint!

Our best players are locked up. I'm sure we'll pick up a good outfielder for next year.
    We have Bogie at SS for the entire season now. Don't worry about the champs my friend....Worry more about your 4th place team.

And paying an injury prone outfielder like Ellsbury that much when you already have Gardner is stupid. Especially with your glaring pitching needs.
    Besides Cano, our best players are also locked up. Might even resign Granderson too. Our outfield will be stout.

I actually like the signing as much as I don't like to admit it. It's been awhile since the Yanks have had to spend money because we havent really made a splash in the FA market since 09. That's 2 great signings in a row. We still need pitching, but I'm glad they addressed some of the issues before the new year.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    I actually like the signing as much as I don't like to admit it. It's been awhile since the Yanks have had to spend money because we havent really made a splash in the FA market since 09. That's 2 great signings in a row. We still need pitching, but I'm glad they addressed some of the issues before the new year.
    Should have spent the money on pitching. They needed a catcher...I get the McCann signing. But they have Gardner. I just don't see the need that justifies $153MM.
    These kinds of signings are how the Yankees got in trouble over the past several years. Its just a ridiculous amount for a guy who gets hurt as much as Ellsbury does.

He's averaged 114 games per year in his career. Do you think that number will go up or go down as he gets older?
    Get well soon 80.

New York Giants DE Justin Tuck Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    New York Giants DE Justin Tuck Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week
    That must have been hard for you to type Dez....since you hate every player on the defense.
    Get well soon 80.

That must have been hard for you to type Dez....since you hate every player on the defense.
    Only in your twisted mind old timer.

Should have spent the money on pitching. They needed a catcher...I get the McCann signing. But they have Gardner. I just don't see the need that justifies $153MM.
    These kinds of signings are how the Yankees got in trouble over the past several years. Its just a ridiculous amount for a guy who gets hurt as much as Ellsbury does.

He's averaged 114 games per year in his career. Do you think that number will go up or go down as he gets older?
    right now the yanks have Sori, Wells, Gardner, Ichi, and Granderson. They have plenty to choose from. A great situation to be in, wouldnt call it stupid at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    right now the yanks have Sori, Wells, Gardner, Ichi, and Granderson. They have plenty to choose from. A great situation to be in, wouldnt call it stupid at all.
    Then why on earth would they spend $153MM on Ellsbury.
    They need pitching....not outfielders. As you post suggests.
    Get well soon 80.

Then why on earth would they spend $153MM on Ellsbury.
    They need pitching....not outfielders. As you post suggests.
    Because they get a bat that hits for avg, something they lack.

They can chew gum and walk at the same time. Plenty of time between now and spring. CC Kuroda, Nova and another stud. Not a bad lineup.