1. #157061
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY. Heeltown, USA
    Posts
    35,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I don't accept your scenario. I think that's complete nonsense.
    What science is not being taught? The notion that sound science isn't being taught in our schools because people like Michelle Bachmann believe in Creationism is absolute myth.
    The problem is that creationism is viewed as some sort of historic science of sorts in a lot of southern and southeastern parts of the country. what's happening is that there are people going through school not asking enough questions...questions that would make them GREAT thinkers...we're not encouraging people to work in sciences, and our country will soon be left behind as a lot of (scandanavian for example comes to mine) countries surpass us in technology, and innovation. So yes, i think it's a problem, especially in a country where complacence is an issue.

    Anyone catch any of the Nye/Ham debate the other night? This was touched on a lot. Hamm kept saying "actually, Bill...there is a research book for that, it's called the Bible" as if 1 story book makes a good works cited page.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

    It's too bad, I'm too good....

  2. #157062
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    38,993
    Creationalism is real alright. The sooner we accept that we are alien hybrids, the sooner this mindless bickering can end. But then again, the science community will take that as a victory......

  3. #157063
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    17,669
    Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    The problem is that creationism is viewed as some sort of historic science of sorts in a lot of southern and southeastern parts of the country. what's happening is that there are people going through school not asking enough questions...questions that would make them GREAT thinkers...we're not encouraging people to work in sciences, and our country will soon be left behind as a lot of (scandanavian for example comes to mine) countries surpass us in technology, and innovation. So yes, i think it's a problem, especially in a country where complacence is an issue.

    Anyone catch any of the Nye/Ham debate the other night? This was touched on a lot. Hamm kept saying "actually, Bill...there is a research book for that, it's called the Bible" as if 1 story book makes a good works cited page.
    Not to mention that the authority for the Bible falls on circular reasoning. Why can you trust the Bible? Because God wrote it. How do you know about God/know to trust God? Because it says so in the Bible.

  4. #157064
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY. Heeltown, USA
    Posts
    35,474
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Sochi is a prime example of all that is good pertaining Socialism.
    Sochi is a freakin disaster and it hasnt even begun. lol

    Where did this supposed $51 Billion go?! Certainly not into upkeep and accomodations =P

    dammit, who picked Russia?!
    Last edited by JPizzack; 02-06-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

    It's too bad, I'm too good....

  5. #157065
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY. Heeltown, USA
    Posts
    35,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Not to mention that the authority for the Bible falls on circular reasoning. Why can you trust the Bible? Because God wrote it. How do you know about God/know to trust God? Because it says so in the Bible.
    yea, at least toward the end of the thing, Hamm says "I cannot prove anything"....

    Where as Nye says (paraphrasing)"sometimes, not having an explanation is a good thing...because it means people are always questioning it"
    Oderint Dum Metuant

    It's too bad, I'm too good....

  6. #157066
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY. Heeltown, USA
    Posts
    35,474
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Creationalism is real alright. The sooner we accept that we are alien hybrids, the sooner this mindless bickering can end. But then again, the science community will take that as a victory......
    Wha...I dont even....I dont know what youre even saying right now >.>
    Oderint Dum Metuant

    It's too bad, I'm too good....

  7. #157067
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    38,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    And you don't think that negatively impacting science education won't affect the future of the country and even the world?

    I think my point is now proven.
    What do you mean negatively impacting science education?

    Bam taking funding away from NASA cant be a good thing for science education

  8. #157068
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    17,669
    Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    The problem is that creationism is viewed as some sort of historic science of sorts in a lot of southern and southeastern parts of the country. what's happening is that there are people going through school not asking enough questions...questions that would make them GREAT thinkers...we're not encouraging people to work in sciences, and our country will soon be left behind as a lot of (scandanavian for example comes to mine) countries surpass us in technology, and innovation. So yes, i think it's a problem, especially in a country where complacence is an issue.

    Anyone catch any of the Nye/Ham debate the other night? This was touched on a lot. Hamm kept saying "actually, Bill...there is a research book for that, it's called the Bible" as if 1 story book makes a good works cited page.
    Children are taught that an appropriate response to when challenging some of the wilder claims is, "Were you there? You don't know that."

    There are several states that have required public schools to teach creationism as SCIENCE or give it as much credence as any scientific theory in the classroom.

    Let's also not even mention that the anti-intellectual movement and creationists don't even know what the word theory means in its scientific sense.

  9. #157069
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    38,993
    Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    Wha...I dont even....I dont know what youre even saying right now >.>
    Aliens pizz, we are Aliens.

  10. #157070
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    17,669
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    What do you mean negatively impacting science education?

    Bam taking funding away from NASA cant be a good thing for science education
    Actually, it isn't good for science, especially when considerign how miniscule a part of the budget NASA is.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts