Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    What do you mean negatively impacting science education?

Bam taking funding away from NASA cant be a good thing for science education
    please read post i wrote that Drez is quoting. i do my best to explain it.
    the president defunding nasa has nothing to do with what we're talking about. though it's a travesty regardless
    Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Actually, it isn't good for science, especially when considerign how miniscule a part of the budget NASA is.
    considering how much goes into military spending...how are there people leading this country who didnt think,"wait...maybe NASA can be used for military funding!!!"
    Really? Rockets, propulsion engineering, space exploration, and nobody thought it could be used for the military?!?!? wtf!!
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Aliens pizz, we are Aliens.
    well, youre sure out there....that's for certain. lol
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    The problem is that creationism is viewed as some sort of historic science of sorts in a lot of southern and southeastern parts of the country. what's happening is that there are people going through school not asking enough questions...questions that would make them GREAT thinkers...we're not encouraging people to work in sciences, and our country will soon be left behind as a lot of (scandanavian for example comes to mine) countries surpass us in technology, and innovation. So yes, i think it's a problem, especially in a country where complacence is an issue.

Anyone catch any of the Nye/Ham debate the other night? This was touched on a lot. Hamm kept saying "actually, Bill...there is a research book for that, it's called the Bible" as if 1 story book makes a good works cited page.
    People who believe in Creationism are just like Eli Cultists.
    If you challenge their religion with science they lash out at you.

The difference is that the worship of God is widely accepted. The worship of Eli?.......well that's just something different. Isn't it.
    "Typical Morehead!"..................and he didn't even mean that as a compliment..

Has anyone ever (or known anyone) who has gone to college abroad? I'm doing some preliminary research because my daughter has her heart set on attending college in South Korea. Just trying to get a feel for some experiences.

yea, at least toward the end of the thing, Hamm says "I cannot prove anything"....

Where as Nye says (paraphrasing)"sometimes, not having an explanation is a good thing...because it means people are always questioning it"
    I also love this other inconsistency of creationists...
    C: What was there before the Big Bang?
    S: We're not sure, but we're trying to wrap our heads around it and find out.
    C: Well, there had to be something before it, it just couldn't happen.
    S: We have a few hypothesis, but no theories yet.
    S: So, Mr. Creationist, what was there before God?
    C: Nothing, God always was.
    S: Really?
    C: Yes, really.
    S: Didn't you just say that there had to always be something before some thing else?
    C: You weren't there. You can't prove it!

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    People who believe in Creationism are just like Eli Cultists.
    If you challenge their religion with science they lash out at you.

The difference is that the worship of God is widely accepted. The worship of Eli?.......well that's just something different. Isn't it.
    I see no problem with religion....people like the comfort of it, and the bond it creates, etc.
    It's no different than being a fan of a certain team really.

however, jsut like everything else, there are plenty of closeminded people who rather claim youre attacking them, then carry on a conversation. that's why i generally dont discuss religion or politics, because people are stupid. lol
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by Laurah1275 View Post
    Has anyone ever (or known anyone) who has gone to college abroad? I'm doing some preliminary research because my daughter has her heart set on attending college in South Korea. Just trying to get a feel for some experiences.
    I knew someone that went to McGill, but that's just Canada. I've also known a few people to study in England. I doubt any of their experiences would be very helpful.

I'd love to continue discussing science....but....it's time to go home!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

deuces
    Oderint Dum Metuant

considering how much goes into military spending...how are there people leading this country who didnt think,"wait...maybe NASA can be used for military funding!!!"
    Really? Rockets, propulsion engineering, space exploration, and nobody thought it could be used for the military?!?!? wtf!!
    Actually, NASA and the military work very closely on a lot of projects, but their funding is definitively separate.