Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Just watching.
    Do you know what the qualifications are for even a guy my age to run in the marathon? 3:40. Which is ridiculous. And that's for a 55 year old!. That's 8 and a half minute miles for 26 miles. I run 3 or 4 times per week for 3 miles and I run 3 miles in 28 minutes. That's a little less than 9 and a half minute miles.

My son in law runs in the Philadelphia marathon every year and he runs about 3:26. I can't run a mile that fast let alone 26.

Those marathoners are crazy.

You can get into the race without a qualifying time if you run in an approved club that is raising money for charity but even those guys' times are ridiculous.
    My neighbor finished about 15 minutes before the explosion and he ran about 3:45. Incredible.
    Yea it's crazy how regulated that stuff is....

My roommate does Triathalons, and they are much more lenient. He wanted to train for a marathon, but was kind of discouraged when they told him about times. Like, he can run...but his endurance is on the bike, not running. He said he wouldnt even be close, and he's in running shape!
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Never understood how people can just run for fun. I enjoy walking to work some days, kind of therapeutic in way. Guess its the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Never understood how people can just run for fun. I enjoy walking to work some days, kind of therapeutic in way. Guess its the same thing.
    I tasted the rainbow this weekend.

Just letting you know.
    I thought we had something special!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    Yea it's crazy how regulated that stuff is....

My roommate does Triathalons, and they are much more lenient. He wanted to train for a marathon, but was kind of discouraged when they told him about times. Like, he can run...but his endurance is on the bike, not running. He said he wouldnt even be close, and he's in running shape!
    There is a famous local person here from South Hadley Mass who pushes his handicapped son for the entire marathon. He RUNS, while pushing his son in a wheelchair. And has been doing it since 1981. I think he's now 74 years old. This is his last marathon. **** Hoyt and his son Rick.
    They dedicated a statue at the starting line.
    Incredible.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

There is a famous local person here from South Hadley Mass who pushes his handicapped son for the entire marathon. He RUNS, while pushing his son in a wheelchair. And has been doing it since 1981. I think he's now 74 years old. This is his last marathon. **** Hoyt and his son Rick.
    Incredible.
    I saw a documentary about them on ESPN. Very touching.
    I thought we had something special!!!

Running and walking are far from the same thing.

I run to try to keep old age from creeping into my life. (For now) I don't like to run at all but I like that I do it anyway.

Incredible.
    I think he ran a few triathlons too, he puts his son in a small raft and swims while pulling the raft. Amazing.

Incredible.
    I saw that documentary. Incredible !!!!
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Incredible.
    yep, ive heard of him. Well, not by name, but the story of him
    Oderint Dum Metuant

I think he ran a few triathlons too, he puts his son in a small raft and swims while pulling the raft. Amazing.
    Yes he does.
    The guy is a local hero here. My wife was at a convention in San Diego a few years ago and he was the key note speaker.
    Pretty amazing guy.