+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    The point of that thread is very true.
    Some folks want to turn it into the usual haters vs. homers argument, but most have had the right attitude.
    Agreed. The point is unassailable: When a QB protects the ball and doesn't turn it over often his team's odds of winning are greatly improved. It should have been a one post thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasman View Post
    Agreed. The point is unassailable: When a QB protects the ball and doesn't turn it over often his team's odds of winning are greatly improved. It should have been a one post thread.
    Again...You guys just completely miss the point I was making.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Again...You guys just completely miss the point I was making.

If you intended a different point, perhaps you should have used different words to attempt to make it.

If everyone misses the point maybe it's a communication problem, Doctor. Physician heal thyself!

If you intended a different point, perhaps you should have used different words to attempt to make it.

If everyone misses the point maybe it's a communication problem, Doctor. Physician heal thyself!
    Several folks understood it completely.
    Others hear (or read) what they want to hear.

Several folks understood it completely.
    Others hear (or read) what they want to hear.

I do agree that most folks hear (or read) what they want to hear. Which side of the equation those folks fall to is in the eye of the beholder.

Veteran
    Morehead use the throwaways evidence I provided you. Elis best season, 2011, is the year he threw the ball away the most

But what is the real story. What changes a decent team with a win % somewhere around .550 into an 8-0 juggernaut?

The REAL story is the turnovers. In any 8 game stretch, Eli averages 11 turnovers. That is so bad in this era it's staggering. In the playoff runs Eli turned the ball over twice in 8 games. That's 2 turnovers vs. a career average of 11.

And for those of you who think Eli needs to throw it around to win......Eli is 12-13 in games where he threw for 300 yards. I'm not into new math much but that's a losing record.

Now lets examine his W/L record where he throws zero interceptions.............It's 37-12.
    That's 37-12. A winning % of .755. That's better than 12-4 in a regular season.

PROTECT THE BALL ELI!!!!!!...........and we win. Throw it around recklessly and we lose. It's a simple proposition.

I guess I did miss the point of this because I thought it was about Eli protecting the ball.

But what is the real story. What changes a decent team with a win % somewhere around .550 into an 8-0 juggernaut?

The REAL story is the turnovers. In any 8 game stretch, Eli averages 11 turnovers. That is so bad in this era it's staggering. In the playoff runs Eli turned the ball over twice in 8 games. That's 2 turnovers vs. a career average of 11.

And for those of you who think Eli needs to throw it around to win......Eli is 12-13 in games where he threw for 300 yards. I'm not into new math much but that's a losing record.

Now lets examine his W/L record where he throws zero interceptions.............It's 37-12.
    That's 37-12. A winning % of .755. That's better than 12-4 in a regular season.

PROTECT THE BALL ELI!!!!!!...........and we win. Throw it around recklessly and we lose. It's a simple proposition.

I guess I did miss the point of this because I thought it was about Eli protecting the ball.
    The point......if your interested is the style of play for Eli. So many posters suggest that Eli is some kind of gunslinger (which is laughable BTW) and that you have to take the picks with his game because that's how he won 2 SB's.

My point is that "he" won 2 SB's by playing the exact opposite. We don't have to take the bad with the good. TC takes the bad with the good and that's why we've struggled recently. TC says that forcing the ball into coverage is "what the great ones do". (using his own words) Which is BS.
    Despite if the "great ones" do that or not....history has shown that it's not how we have won championships with Eli as our QB.

Eli has won 2 SB's by being very "un-Eli-like". At least as some of his defenders call it. When Eli is more careful with the ball, we do great things.

The point......if your interested is the style of play for Eli. So many posters suggest that Eli is some kind of gunslinger (which is laughable BTW) and that you have to take the picks with his game because that's how he won 2 SB's.

My point is that "he" won 2 SB's by playing the exact opposite. We don't have to take the bad with the good. TC takes the bad with the good and that's why we've struggled recently. TC says that forcing the ball into coverage is "what the great ones do". (using his own words) Which is BS.
    Despite if the "great ones" do that or not....history has shown that it's not how we have won championships with Eli as our QB.

Eli has won 2 SB's by being very "un-Eli-like". At least as some of his defenders call it. When Eli is more careful with the ball, we do great things.

I have to be honest, that does not come clearly shining through to me as being the point, although it is clearly a part of the overall original post.

The line is very fine between:

A. When a QB protects the ball and doesn't turn it over often his team's odds of winning are greatly improved.

and

B. Eli has won 2 SB's by being very "un-Eli-like". At least as some of his defenders call it. When Eli is more careful with the ball, we do great things.

I agree (how can one not?) that the QB needs to take care of the ball better and that's true of 100% of all NFL QBs. Your point seems to take that as a given - which is fair enough - but then goes one point further to postulate that the coaching staff needs to stop enabling him as a guy who "tries to make something happen" when conditions (be they game or team conditions) are poor.

But in that case shouldn't the primary character of the narrative be the coaching staff?

We're talking about player behavior now and while we can dance around all day about the fact that NFL players are adults and should be self managing, there is very, very little evidence to support that canard.

Favre never did, his coaching staff let him do what he wanted and never held him accountable and - while I am not comparing the two directly - there is a case to be made that this is true of Favre as well, How may more potential SBs could GB have won had Favre not thrown them out of contention on the way?

Further, is it possible that the coaching staff's leash on Eli shortened significantly as they advanced through the playoffs or do you think Eli did that on his own? I think the answer to that question opens a similarly interesting discussion. Either answer leads us back "why doesn't it happen all the time then? why doesn't it happen in the regular season?" There is no reason we should have to accept taking the good with the bad.

You realize what hes doing right?
    Get that mumbo jumbo out of here, take it to your own thread MH.

+ Reply to Thread