1. #167521
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,906
    Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    +100....if you think there's a problem with the disproportionate killings based on religion by people who are fundamentalist Muslims, you're an islamophobe.... And the list goes on.
    I dont want to sound like a complete Obma hater, which I am, but this whole issue has gotten worse since he started running for president and constantly playing the race card. Even Bill and Hillary said so.
    Did you hear Holder last week??? Its funny if it werent so sad and pathetic. Anyone that blames the color of their skin for the inability to do their job is weak in my book.

  2. #167522
    All-Pro egyptian420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    If you don't believe in gay marriage, you are bigoted.. I mean, you're saying that you don't think that all people should have the same rights and protections under the law. I don't know how that isn't bigoted.
    Ok so by your own definition, if you are against an incestuous marriage; in which both parties choose not to procreate, you are also a bigot who doesn't believe in same rights and protections under the law.

    That is perfectly analogous using your definition of bigotry.

  3. #167523
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Well that's how it works. They throw name calling out there like "You're a Racist" or "You're a homaphobe" to shut down the debate.
    When they kill the discussion, they don't have to argue their position. they don't have to explain what the name calling means.
    And when we shut down debate, we never move forward. We continue the divisions. There can never be consensus.

    It's what they do. they NEED boogie men to blame.
    Well, when those that oppose gay marriage actually have an argument that is defensible, we can have that discussion. So far, there is no argument against gay marriage that is nothing more than bigotry and/or superstition.

  4. #167524
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Trap house
    Posts
    32,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Then he should have chosen his words more carefully. Saying "because things will happen," sounds much more ominous (and considering his fundamentalist religious views, like he would not do much to prevent it), than "the media coverage will be a distraction."
    Essentially that's what he ended up doing.
    But still, he never said anything negative about Sam in the first place.

    Hopefully people understand now.

    Eli: "You actually caught a pass!"

  5. #167525
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,943
    Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    Ok so by your own definition, if you are against an incestuous marriage; I'm which both parties choose not to procreate, you are also a bigot who doesn't believe in same rights and protections under the law.

    That is perfectly analogous using your definition of bigotry.
    Nice straw man. You got that thing scaring off crows in a field?

  6. #167526
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    26,679
    Does anyone else think this is an unreasonable request?:
    I'm being asked next week to drive 1 hour to middletown, ny to work only for 4 hours, on my half day....and then drive an hour home. And they say "we'll pay you for 30 mins of travel time, plus mileage."

    Well, obviously mileage is included, but why 30 mins? it takes me 2 hours and 10 mins in total travel time. Why wouldn't they pay me for the whole thing? lol
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  7. #167527
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    If you don't believe in gay marriage, you are bigoted.. I mean, you're saying that you don't think that all people should have the same rights and protections under the law. I don't know how that isn't bigoted.

    The others are more nuanced positions where taking a black and white position is not a good idea.
    From a legal perspective you are completely wrong. Certainly it's different from a social or even political perspective.

    When one makes the "equal protection under the law" argument they assume that there can only be marriage with a romantic relationship.

    If all marriage is is a standing under the law, then the equal protection claim must extend to ANY two people who want to get married, even if it's just for tax or financial reasons.
    Otherwise you are denying all Americans equal rights under the law.

    So if a Mother and Son, in a completely appropriate relationship want to get married for tax reasons, aren't you denying them equal protection under the law by prohibiting it.
    This is why the legal argument is off base. It assumes that marriage can't be extended to simply a function to improve your financial situation.

    But..once you describe "marriage" as a bond created from a sexual or romantic relationship, which is completely subjective, then you bring in socially accepted norms.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  8. #167528
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Trap house
    Posts
    32,979
    Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    I dont think I've ever seen Bill Maher. is he TV or radio these days?
    Real Time with Bill Maher.

    HBO.

    Eli: "You actually caught a pass!"

  9. #167529
    All-Pro egyptian420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    The fact that he's equating a group that is fighting for equal rights to the mafia shows his disconnect with reality on this issue.
    Yea that was a term Bill Maher coined. It's nice to know you are to the left of Bill friggin Maher.

    http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2014/04/05...ozilla-firefox

  10. #167530
    All-Pro JPizzack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    26,679
    Morehead, tell me I was 100% correct.
    Eat crow right now, or stop posting here. I wont even rub it in your face. I just need you to admit that I was citing fact, JUST so you could not debate something so silly.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts