That's really insensitive 420.
    Mood: WOOF!

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    There's never a good reason to commit suicide. Ever. It's a selfish easy way out of your problems without consideration of all the people you're hurting (family, friends, relatives... etc).

And you could spare me the sob story, this guys was a multi millionaire living in a mansion. You got kids in Africa scrapping garbage residue off a can and living in a mud hut who don't pity themselves and commit suicide at the rate of Hollywood celebrities.
    I say this with great respect. i do understand your view and there was a time in my life where I have shared that view.
    But I've seen the kind of desperation that can lead to this. One of my best friends committed suicide 11 years ago. He was an outgoing, funny, strong person. A truly great guy. The kind of pain and fear a person feels when faced with this action is beyond comprehension.

It's easy to judge. This comes from both life conditions AND mental conditions. To compare it to people who live in horrible conditions isn't fair. It's also besides the point.
    It comes from an emotional desperation...not just a crappy life. His "life" was far from crappy. But his depression was clearly profound. You also see it more with brilliant people.
    "Typical Morehead!"..................and he didn't even mean that as a compliment..

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    It's not insensitive. It DOES cause great pain to people who love you.

He just isn't considering all the factors that go into it.
    "Typical Morehead!"..................and he didn't even mean that as a compliment..

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    It's not insensitive. It DOES cause great pain to people who love you.

He just isn't considering all the factors that go into it.
    Morehead...I agree.
    Which is why I said it's insensitive.

I say this with great respect. i do understand your view and there was a time in my life where I have shared that view.
    But I've seen the kind of desperation that can lead to this. One of my best friends committed suicide 11 years ago. He was an outgoing, funny, strong person. A truly great guy. The kind of pain and fear a person feels when faced with this action is beyond comprehension.

It's easy to judge. This comes from both life conditions AND mental conditions. To compare it to people who live in horrible conditions isn't fair. It's also besides the point.
    It comes from an emotional desperation...not just a crappy life. His "life" was far from crappy. But his depression was clearly profound. You also see it more with brilliant people.
    I also had a friend who killed himself. He was well liked and a very popular guy, had a million friends, was a big time athlete and the whole nine yards. But I guess deep down his life wasn't what it appeared to be.

It was sad no doubt, but his own cousin (who is also a close friend of mine) to this day doesn't feel bad for him and keeps repeating to people who offer their pity that they shouldn't because this was his choice.

I won't act like I know depression because I don't, but I understand it could be as bad or worse than physical pain. I still don't think it justifies suicide that's my only point. Although I might have come off a bit rough.

I also had a friend who killed himself. He was well liked and a very popular guy, had a million friends, was a big time athlete and the whole nine yards. But I guess deep down his life wasn't what it appeared to be.

It was sad no doubt, but his own cousin (who is also a close friend of mine) to this day doesn't feel bad for him and keeps repeating to people who offer their pity that they shouldn't because this was his choice.

I won't act like I know depression because I don't, but I understand it could be as bad or worse than physical pain. I still don't think it justifies suicide that's my only point. Although I might have come off a bit rough.
    Nothing is a "justification". And I don't think anyone would try to justify this kind of action.

No one is "thinking straight" when they commit suicide. It's not rational action. Those who commit suicide are not thinking rationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Maybe the way I said it came out sounding cold, but I do acknowledge the sadness of the situation. That was the first thing I said to Dez.

But I still believe that what he did is unjustifiable. Suicide is never the right thing to do. I have no problem with anyone feeling sad that he is gone; as I do, but I think it's wrong for any to suggest that his circumstances were so difficult that suicide was the only option or that it was justified.

Nothing is a "justification". And I don't think anyone would try to justify this kind of action.

No one is "thinking straight" when they commit suicide. It's not rational action. Those who commit suicide are not thinking rationally.
    Totally agree with this. And the message needs to be made clearer that there is always another option no matter how awful things are.

Depression doesn't justify suicide? You clearly don't understand how depression works.

Depression is not a choice, you just don't choose you're going to be depressed. Some people don't even realize they have it. It's a mental disorder, like OCD, paranoia, etc.

I can share countless stories of friends of mine who are severely depressed. My best friend had to quit school because it was so hard for her to deal with it.

Maybe the way I said it came out sounding cold, but I do acknowledge the sadness of the situation. That was the first thing I said to Dez.

But I still believe that what he did is unjustifiable. Suicide is never the right thing to do. I have no problem with anyone feeling sad that he is gone; as I do, but I think it's wrong for any to suggest that his circumstances were so difficult that suicide was the only option or that it was justified.
    Depression Is not just feeling sad, that's the thing and that's what you really need to understand. Being sad is an emotion that all humans and animals share.

When you're depressed you lose interest and motivation to do everything, your mood and your self-esteem are incredibly low. That's not just feeling "sad." You don't feel anything really, nothing matters anymore and you're stuck trying to figure out why am I still here?
    Last edited by Rudy; 08-12-2014 at 10:57 AM.