+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Player

My defensive change

Since we've had no rush and poor linebacking, with virtually no underneath coverage, I would have switched to a 3-4. Alternate Joseph and Canty at Nose. Put Kiwi back at DE along with Ojomo. Let Tuck and the girl Osi spell them. Play Rivers, Boley, Paysinger and Williams at LB or whatever combination was healthy. That would allow the safties and corners to cover anything deep without having to constantly worry about underneath routes. Thats why they get burned all thew time.

Can't be any worse than the crap they been rolling out the past few weeks.

All-Pro
    The LBs aren't good enough now, and you want to increase their role without bringing in new talent? Not going to even start on the D-line... where none of our linemen are for the 3-4
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Didn't they line up with 4 LB, 4 DL at one point and still couldn't stop the run?

Quote Originally Posted by BJacobs aka The Problem View Post
    Didn't they line up with 4 LB, 4 DL at one point and still couldn't stop the run?
    They did half-decent, considering that Ray Rice was in their backfield. But Webby getting burned again and again meant that we couldn't ever truly sell out vs the run.
    Andre the Giant

Resign Phillips on the cheap, cut Osi, Tuck, Webster, completely restructure Boley and Canty and have a solid draft board. Make solid moves in FA, nothing too flashy though.

Quote Originally Posted by TooStupid View Post
    Since we've had no rush and poor linebacking, with virtually no underneath coverage, I would have switched to a 3-4. Alternate Joseph and Canty at Nose. Put Kiwi back at DE along with Ojomo. Let Tuck and the girl Osi spell them. Play Rivers, Boley, Paysinger and Williams at LB or whatever combination was healthy. That would allow the safties and corners to cover anything deep without having to constantly worry about underneath routes. Thats why they get burned all thew time.
    Not trying to cramp your style but that is not how a 3-4 defense is built. No way could Kiwi/Osi/Ojomo play DE in a 3-4 scheme.They would be outside linebacker and only Kiwi has the talent or cover skills to pull it off. Next only Joseph may be able to play the nose as Canty is a 3-tech defensive tackle and would be a DE in that scheme like he was in Dallas. Tuck may be able to fit that role because of his size but probably not. Next you would need some big physical linebackers to put in the middle, only of whom maybe Blackburn would fit the bill.

Lastly, not many teams run a 3-4 these days because they like having four down to rush the passer and easily being able to substitute their linebackers for defensive backs that can play in coverage and space. That is why only about 7 or 8 teams still run the 3-4 defense in the nfl. Sorry but I don't think the 3-4 is the answer. Too much personnel change and doesn't make a ton of sense in today's NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    They did half-decent, considering that Ray Rice was in their backfield. But Webby getting burned again and again meant that we couldn't ever truly sell out vs the run.
    Ahh. Makes sense.

On a side note, I don't think we have the personnel to run a 3-4. I think opposing offenses would have an easier time running up the middle if they switched to a 3-4. Who'd be the two ILB's? Rivers and Boley? If an O-lineman got to the second level against that tandem, that would be a huge problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BJacobs aka The Problem View Post
    Ahh. Makes sense.

On a side note, I don't think we have the personnel to run a 3-4. I think opposing offenses would have an easier time running up the middle if they switched to a 3-4. Who'd be the two ILB's? Rivers and Boley? If an O-lineman got to the second level against that tandem, that would be a huge problem.
    No, we absolutely dont have the personnel to run a base 3-4. We would need to spend our entire draft on a 3-4 DT and linebackers. Not going to happen, when we need to spend all 7 draft picks on OL.

That said, as a thought experiment, if a rule was passed forcing all defenses to run a base 3-4 with their existing players, here's how I would line them up:
    Canty-Linval-Kuhn
    Boley-Williams-Blackburn-JPP

Yeah, I smh at that too...

All that said, I did like the 4-4 "penny" package that PF brought out, it showed that he was trying to put the best players possible out there to stop the run. But then Webby failed. PF at least tries to game plan against the opposing team (his players just quit on him), which is why I'm less adamant about wanting him gone as I am with Killdrive who does the same damn thing that never works...
    Andre the Giant

Honestly that 3-4 d-line would not be too bad. I think Canty/linval/Kuhn could actually do a pretty good job. Its the linebackers you would have to worry about JPP/Kiwi could probably do it on the outside but those middle backers. Geez, good luck.