+ Reply to Thread

Really no surprises and it's not that complicated...........

Our woes can be boiled down to a few key areas, most of which we have known about for a long time.

First, our linebackers remain a weak unit and an embarrassment to those of us who remember Van Pelt, Banks, Taylor, Carson, Reasons, Kelly, Headen, Hunt etc.

Second, our OL remains below average, aging and thin (no depth). We have seen this developing for a few years and have not done enough to fix it. If your line can't establish a running game, your passing game will suffer. Pass protection slid as this season progressed as well.

Lastly is the surprise in the group. Our DL can't stop the run. I never saw this coming. True, our LB aren't helping this but I figured with Canty, Joseph and Bernard the starters with any help from Austin we'd be just fine. I was wrong. Osi looks like a dancing bear out there against the run and Tuck is either disinterested or just too banged up to make a difference.

Draft priority: we need to reload both trenches.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Our woes can be boiled down to a few key areas, most of which we have known about for a long time.

First, our linebackers remain a weak unit and an embarrassment to those of us who remember Van Pelt, Banks, Taylor, Carson, Reasons, Kelly, Headen, Hunt etc.

Second, our OL remains below average, aging and thin (no depth). We have seen this developing for a few years and have not done enough to fix it. If your line can't establish a running game, your passing game will suffer. Pass protection slid as this season progressed as well.

Lastly is the surprise in the group. Our DL can't stop the run. I never saw this coming. True, our LB aren't helping this but I figured with Canty, Joseph and Bernard the starters with any help from Austin we'd be just fine. I was wrong. Osi looks like a dancing bear out there against the run and Tuck is either disinterested or just too banged up to make a difference.

I agree with you outside of the value you are placing at LB. In the 4-3 you place lower priority on the LB than any other defensive position. You only have 3 out there on 20% (60% nickel and 20% dime) of plays and as long they are decent that is good enough. In this system you use the DL to wreak havoc and the LBs clean it up. Every last member of the DL stunk up the joint this season.

If all of the picks went to the OL and DL this year I would be perfectly content.

I think it really boils down to players underperforming.
    We won a Super Bowl with pretty much the same team.

Giants fan since the early 80s

Quote Originally Posted by ny06 View Post
    I think it really boils down to players underperforming.
    We won a Super Bowl with pretty much the same team.
    .............except they're a year older and a year in the NFL is like a dog year lol.
    Best of the holidays to you NY06.
    No one remembers who came in second.

.............except they're a year older and a year in the NFL is like a dog year lol.
    Best of the holidays to you NY06.
    and last year we had plenty of surprise performers, rookies and next men up. Cruz, JPP, Ballard, Blackburn, JWill, Boley was lights out. The list goes on and on. 14 guys on IR and we managed.

At least they can't take last year away from us.

Tuck wasn't that good last year, and his decline has continued. Osi has always been horrible against the run, and that is being exploited by every team we face. JPP isn't playing like he did last year, and that's harder to explain. I think Blackburn plays hard; but his talent level is low. He's not been particularily good this year either. Boley has been way off from last year too. But I think Fewell's system is limiting these guys more than any other factor. They're aging; but these are the same guys who held playoff opponents to 14 PPG less than a year ago.

The OL has two really weak links in Diehl and Baas. Snee has been a bit of a penalty factory this year too. We don't know if their back ups are any good because Coughlin won't pull them. Brewer actually looked pretty good against Baltimore last night. I'd like to see Brewer and Cordle have a chance to start against Philly. It really can't be much worse than what we've seen lately, can it?

You might also want to add 'them not giving a damn' to the list

All-Pro
    Here is what I see:

1) The Giants have not been good defensively for ten years. We caught fire for 2 stretches which got us Superbowls. Besides that, if you check the stats, this has been a pretty bad defensive team than a good defensive team over that stretch.

2) The OL was in too much flux this year. Too many penalties at bad times.

3) The Nicks injury was big. Without Manningham, Cruz was exposed.

4) Eli had an off year. Was that all on Eli or was it partly because of 2) and 3) we will never know. I am sure Eli will bounce back during the offseason

5) The coaching staff had a bad year. Lets be honest, there were more questionable calls (plays) this year and questionable personnel decisions. Example: I like Chase Blackburn but, he scares no one as a starting LB in the NFL.

6) The front office did not fill the holes they needed to in the offseason on Defense namely LB.

7) Early games in the season that we should have put in the win column- Steelers and Eagles. We had no business losing to Skins in the second game as well.

I think we are in for a transition and better do it quickly in one swoop than slowly.

That's a very positive assessment of the OL. They stunk this year. I put that squarely on Reese. You can not have your OL deteriorate to the point where 4/5 of your line is expendable. Beatty is the obvious exception. He has not put a premium on any OL besides Beatty. You can't always rely on the later rounds to consistently find gems. Sometimes you gotta move up and get the player you want/need.
    “Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
    ― George Carlin