+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who's Fault is it? LET'S KEEP IT REAL!

Who's to blame? No one! Folks, it's the year after a SB victory. History tells us that a repeat SB is way harder than getting the first one. We are not the first team to disappoint after a SB victory. Even before the salary cap era winning 2 in a row proved difficult, but even more so now. Is our performance really that shocking? We barely got in the playoffs last year and this year we barely missed the playoffs. Our play follows a trend during the Coughlin era. Sure the Oline struggled, especially with run blocking, the defense also struggled, but those problems were present last year. We weren't able to right the ship this time around.

Honestly I was more disappointed in 2008 than this year. This year the struggles on defense were familiar. In 2008 we dominated all year long and laid an egg in the playoffs. The reality is it's hard to keep that hunger and focus after achieving the ultimate goal in any aspect of life- football is no different. The great great players have that internal drive that keeps them focused regardless of what they've achieved, but it's rare to be able to perform at that level as a team in football- the ultimate team sport.

Let's not start getting critical of Eli, or the coaches, or any other players. The same coaches that brought us 2 SBs in 5 years lost this year. As a fan I give them a pass this year. Ever year won't be magical but 20011-12 was the stuff of legends. I think we were a good team that got hot, and as such we can't win when we are not at our best. If you're going to repeat you usually need to be good enough to win even when things aren't clicking and that isn't us. We got ALL the breaks last year and the opposing team made all the gaffes, but this year...not so much. It was good run, but it's draft research time boys.

Banned
    I doubt many people were expecting a repeat, but the team at least had a chance this year, then absolutely gave up for the past two games. This team absolutely shat the bed this season, my feelings would be a lot different, and I imagine other's would as well if they actually showed up to play at the end of this season, while they still had a chance. It brings back bad memories in '08 when we shat the bed against the Panthers at home(last game in Giant stadium) followed by a beat down in Minnesota.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Who's to blame? No one! Folks, it's the year after a SB victory. History tells us that a repeat SB is way harder than getting the first one. We are not the first team to disappoint after a SB victory. Even before the salary cap era winning 2 in a row proved difficult, but even more so now. Is our performance really that shocking? We barely got in the playoffs last year and this year we barely missed the playoffs. Our play follows a trend during the Coughlin era. Sure the Oline struggled, especially with run blocking, the defense also struggled, but those problems were present last year. We weren't able to right the ship this time around.

Honestly I was more disappointed in 2008 than this year. This year the struggles on defense were familiar. In 2008 we dominated all year long and laid an egg in the playoffs. The reality is it's hard to keep that hunger and focus after achieving the ultimate goal in any aspect of life- football is no different. The great great players have that internal drive that keeps them focused regardless of what they've achieved, but it's rare to be able to perform at that level as a team in football- the ultimate team sport.

Let's not start getting critical of Eli, or the coaches, or any other players. The same coaches that brought us 2 SBs in 5 years lost this year. As a fan I give them a pass this year. Ever year won't be magical but 20011-12 was the stuff of legends. I think we were a good team that got hot, and as such we can't win when we are not at our best. If you're going to repeat you usually need to be good enough to win even when things aren't clicking and that isn't us. We got ALL the breaks last year and the opposing team made all the gaffes, but this year...not so much. It was good run, but it's draft research time boys.
    Losing 61-14 over two weeks at the end of the season is inexcusable and a sign of a team in total collapse.......the Giant players should return their paychecks, and many of them will receive their last paycheck as a Giant after next week's game.

When your team has a three game lead in the division with six games left, and they're the defending Super Bowl champs, you certainly have every reason to expect a playoff appearance. This is the softest team I've seen yet. I think Coughlin's system turns their brains to mush about half way through the season. Many of the vets need to retire, they'll never be good players again. Who ever follows up Couglin needs to send a wake-up call to those who remain. Each and every one of them should have to fight for his position right from day one, no more guaranteed starters.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    I think the problem is that we all had high hopes coming into this year - especially with Eli having a ground breaking 2011 season.
    That's pretty much it. I thought Eli Manning came of age last year, but that was not to be.

Our problems are greater than Eli of course but I expected more from him this year.

It's everyone from the coaches to training staff, including players. Some more than others. Tuck is a large part of it, he shows no motivation and it weakens the team. The receivers are highly talented but maybe be dumb, not to correct simply mistakes and run wrong routes all year is terrible.

To add optimism to this, Hynosceras is a beast and I'm glad he's on our team. Picture him blocking for skins,eagles or cowboys. That's a scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAE View Post
    It's everyone from the coaches to training staff, including players. Some more than others. Tuck is a large part of it, he shows no motivation and it weakens the team. The receivers are highly talented but maybe be dumb, not to correct simply mistakes and run wrong routes all year is terrible.

To add optimism to this, Hynosceras is a beast and I'm glad he's on our team. Picture him blocking for skins,eagles or cowboys. That's a scary thought.
    What receivers ran the wrong routes "all year"?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAE View Post

Nothing Cruz, Nicks, Barden or an of the receivers we currently have ever led me to question their intelligence, in fact quite the opposite. I think Cruz speaks like a seasoned football executive with his PC responses to almost every question reporters throw at them. If we had this schedule last year would we have made the playoffs? I really don't know.

Are you telling me your optimism for this team is led by the full back performance. LOL This proves how bad it is in Giants land right now.

Veteran
    i understand it's hard to repeat. i know they can't win the superbowl every year. what upsets me is how they are playing like bums towards the end of this year. i can not stand when a team shows heartless performances and doesn't show up when it matters most.