Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Don't blame Plaxico

We lost a very talented player in Plaxico Burress but the "story" is far more far reaching than one player and one team. What happened to Plaxico is, I believe, the the result of years of enabling truly gifted athletes to do as they please and excusing poor academic and social performance, JUST BECAUSE they can play a sport at a high level of excellence.

How many times do you think anyone ever said "no" about anything to Plaxico (and other individuals) once his athletic prowess was recognized? Probably not since high school I'm thinking but certainly not since college. So we create an environment within which Plaxico became the center of his universe.

Given everything and asked for nothing in return but to use his God given athletic talent why are we surprised at the events that have brought Plaxico to such an inglorious end with the New York Football GIANTS? Were there signs? You bet, going all the way back to the Steelers who drafted him. The GIANTS fined him some 60 times and then suspended him AFTER prividing him with a very lucrative contract extension to the tune of 35 million dollars BECAUSE of his athleticism. But to do that they had to swallow his lack of espirit de corps.

How does a player get a contract like that and then not play his best and continue to be a "problem child"? He was enabled, much like alcoholics and drug abusers, by those who may have thought he would change and certailnly by those who care about him.

The last straw, it seems, was the GIANTS once again trying to "put silk
    socks on a hog" by offerning him a new contract that would have
    resolved his mediation issues and kept him a GIANT for, at least,
    2009. If reports can be believed, his part of the negotiatoin was
    "no."

Plaxico did this to himself and should pay whatever fair consequence is decided. But it's really not fair to blame Plaxico for never having to be a responsible adult when he was never asked to be anywhwere along the line.

Good Luck Plaxico. Those of us who had a chance to give you "guidance" along the way have failed you miserably. You are going to pay a price for your indescretion last November but others should be in the cell with you for their part in your undevelopment.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: Don't blame Plaxico

does not exuse the fact he is a boneheadfor shooting himself!

every person controls their own life and decisions.

We only hear the bad of the NFL, when the sad truth is an overwelming majority have their stuff together and are good people/citizens.

I take no responsibility and nor should anyone else for the way plax chose to life his life. Thats a cop out for plax

Fear the name, appreciate the game

Everyone is responsible for thier own behavior. Blaming outside influences for poor behavior is a cop out. I learned that the hard way.................In marriage therapy.[:$]
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “**** waffles.”......G Carlin

are we really our brothers' keepers? if someone has to guide you to not carry a gun illegally, there is something wrong. i understand what you are saying roanoke, but there is this thing called "accountability," and plax needs to show some. and no one should share a cell with him for some type of assumed lack of moral guidance, imo.

Don't hate the player, hate the game? That what you mean?

I guess I kind of agree, but most ppl with common sense are going to make better life decisions, but to be perfectly honest, such a small percentage of the population has any common sense at all....
    I don't think you can say it's not Plax's fault for everything that happened, but, I think I could say safely that he's a product of the NFL environment. Take that how it is I guess >.>

-JP

Oderint Dum Metuant

All-Pro

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]We lost a very talented player in Plaxico Burress but the "story" is far more far reaching than one player and one team. What happened to Plaxico is, I believe, the the result of years of enabling truly gifted athletes to do as they please and excusing poor academic and social performance, JUST BECAUSE they can play a sport at a high level of excellence.

How many times do you think anyone ever said "no" about anything to Plaxico (and other individuals) once his athletic prowess was recognized? Probably not since high school I'm thinking but certainly not since college. So we create an environment within which Plaxico became the center of his universe.

Given everything and asked for nothing in return but to use his God given athletic talent why are we surprised at the events that have brought Plaxico to such an inglorious end with the New York Football GIANTS? Were there signs? You bet, going all the way back to the Steelers who drafted him. The GIANTS fined him some 60 times and then suspended him AFTER prividing him with a very lucrative contract extension to the tune of 35 million dollars BECAUSE of his athleticism. But to do that they had to swallow his lack of espirit de corps.

How does a player get a contract like that and then not play his best and continue to be a "problem child"? He was enabled, much like alcoholics and drug abusers, by those who may have thought he would change and certailnly by those who care about him.

The last straw, it seems, was the GIANTS once again trying to "put silk
    socks on a hog" by offerning him a new contract that would have
    resolved his mediation issues and kept him a GIANT for, at least,
    2009. If reports can be believed, his part of the negotiatoin was
    "no."

Plaxico did this to himself and should pay whatever fair consequence is decided. But it's really not fair to blame Plaxico for never having to be a responsible adult when he was never asked to be anywhwere along the line.

Good Luck Plaxico. Those of us who had a chance to give you "guidance" along the way have failed you miserably. You are going to pay a price for your indescretion last November but others should be in the cell with you for their part in your undevelopment.
    [/quote]

well said

[quote user="FBomb"]Everyone is responsible for thier own behavior. Blaming outside influences for poor behavior is a cop out. I learned that the hard way.................In marriage therapy.[:$][/quote]

lucky *******, lol. my ex didn't even give me that chance, i came home to an empty apartment. i thought i was robbed, and then i check the closet and saw only herclothes were gone, and i though "yeah, i was robbed alright!"

i wish that would happen to me...

hell i'll help her pack

Fear the name, appreciate the game

Of course you blame Burress. Read about his combine when he went to a Pacers game instead meeting with a team.. Or what about standing Coach Cowher up when he was supposed to meet with him at Michigan State? Plax does what he wants to do, and that's pretty much the attitude we grown tired of. He always has been a head case, or immature, and I am not suprised that he still is.