+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Giants Face Tough Roster Decisions In 2013

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1227331

Excerpt: "Jerry Reese never embraced the idea of a honeymoon anyway. Even after he won a championship as a rookie GM in 2007 he knew he couldn’t bask in his glory for long. Winning the Super Bowl may be a wonderful achievement, but there’s always a demand to win it again.

That’s true even now, as the Giants seem so far from being a championship-caliber team just 11 months after their last title. The window may look like it’s closing on a great era of Giants football, but Reese’s job is to try to prop it up.

That won’t be easy, even with a top coach and franchise quarterback in place. There are huge holes on this roster, and some key players — two-time champions — who will have to say good bye. Even if the Giants miraculously sneak into the playoffs next weekend, that’s not going to change.

So as the Giants ponder a season seemingly gone wrong, Reese will be pondering how to make it right. And here are some of the biggest decisions he faces in the offseason:
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1227331

Excerpt: "Jerry Reese never embraced the idea of a honeymoon anyway. Even after he won a championship as a rookie GM in 2007 he knew he couldn’t bask in his glory for long. Winning the Super Bowl may be a wonderful achievement, but there’s always a demand to win it again.

That’s true even now, as the Giants seem so far from being a championship-caliber team just 11 months after their last title. The window may look like it’s closing on a great era of Giants football, but Reese’s job is to try to prop it up.

That won’t be easy, even with a top coach and franchise quarterback in place. There are huge holes on this roster, and some key players — two-time champions — who will have to say good bye. Even if the Giants miraculously sneak into the playoffs next weekend, that’s not going to change.

So as the Giants ponder a season seemingly gone wrong, Reese will be pondering how to make it right. And here are some of the biggest decisions he faces in the offseason:
    There will be a lot of new faces on the Giants Nextel year, and a lot of the 2 Super Bowl team players will be gone.

All-Pro
    They may pay a price for being thin in their secondary next year but they should cut Webster. That was embarrassing last week. They picked on him instead of a rookie. Go with the young guys and draft another CB or sign a serviceable veteran that might be out there. Nicks has the potential to be a very good WR but no way they should dump a lot of money on a guy who has yet to stay healthy for one entire season. Sight Beatty and the rest if the OL can go look for a job.

It has become easier than ever to reload, even remake yourself in this leage in a very short period of team. Look at the turnarounds for Indy and Seattle. The only thing you need to do to make it happen is a great GM, we have one ............... and the right coaching staff, we may need a few changes on TC's staff.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    It has become easier than ever to reload, even remake yourself in this leage in a very short period of team. Look at the turnarounds for Indy and Seattle. The only thing you need to do to make it happen is a great GM, we have one ............... and the right coaching staff, we may need a few changes on TC's staff.
    we may need changes on the staff...but as we all know TC is very loyal.....he has proved this over and over with certain players...Dave Diehl and Shaun O'Hara come to mind.....we, as fans knowing this but, TC knowing, admitting, and doing this may not be the same thing.....I have always trusted our coaching staff and front office....but there are some things I see that I just shake my head and wonder what they/he is seeing that we don't
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    we may need changes on the staff...but as we all know TC is very loyal.....he has proved this over and over with certain players...Dave Diehl and Shaun O'Hara come to mind.....we, as fans knowing this but, TC knowing, admitting, and doing this may not be the same thing.....I have always trusted our coaching staff and front office....but there are some things I see that I just shake my head and wonder what they/he is seeing that we don't
    How much of a player's time do we see compared to what the coaching staff sees? And you wonder if they could be seeing something we aren't?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    How much of a player's time do we see compared to what the coaching staff sees? And you wonder if they could be seeing something we aren't?
    It was kind of a rhetorical thought....I am quite sure they do...but you really have to wonder what it is at times
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Veteran
    I wish I could get some insight on the cap hit if Reese were to cut vets like Tuck, Rolle, Webster and Diehl.

Quote Originally Posted by drewz View Post
    I wish I could get some insight on the cap hit if Reese were to cut vets like Tuck, Rolle, Webster and Diehl.
    Webster is a free agent, his current salary is all savings. Diehl and Tuck if cut would also likely be a full savings. Rolle probably had a signing bonus not yet amortized but in total would represent a savings.
    No one remembers who came in second.

All-Pro
    I think they can't cut Rolle. Pretty sure that would actually hurt them with the cap.