+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Killdrive lovers part 150 where are you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligans View Post
    Why should he script th eopening drives moron...what does that do?
    it is very common in the NFL

less common than it was say 10 or 15 years ago.....but still quite common

Bill Walsh was widely known for this ......and sticking to it always

and Gilbride does do this ....but does not always stick to it

a couple articles on the topic

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...-opening-plays

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...td-to-gilbride
    Last edited by YATittle1962; 12-26-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdip View Post
    Thought so. I hate being right but he needs to be replaced. Giants playmakers arent taking 10 yard plays for 80 yard tds anymore and the league has easily shut our offense down and Killdrive has no clue how to fix the problem. He has only been coaching for how many years???? He needs guys on offense to bail him out like Cruz did all last year or nicks did in the playoffs. This team couldnt go 80 yards down the field methodically as the offense is built for hope and pray plays down the field. I am beyond frustrated with this offense and the lack of being able to make a simple play or get a couple of first downs. Why is the browns offense better then ours ? KC's offense is probably better then ours. Players or System ???.
    Its funny Baltimore and Atlanta seemed to have an idea on offense what they will run and to attack certain players or when to call plays vs our blitzes or whatever. Do you ever get the sense we have a single plan on offense to attack other teams ?? It is almost like we have no plan.... Judging by the body of work our offense cant even get a first down. Do you ever see Brady or Brees or whoever have that much difficulty ? win or loose it doesnt matter the fact that we are incapable of making a first down is scarry. We had what 180 yards most of them garbage yards and 1 play that got us 43 yards which was a hope and pray throw up in the air ?? seriously that is alarming. Ravens defense isnt the same ravens defense of old but of course we made them look like the 85 bears.

I think we need to get rid of the OC bigtime and get some new idea and get rid of this down field passing cr ap. Its not working. Dallas I think exposed us on this and provided the blue print on how to stop our offense.
    We got two superbowls under him. I'm fine with him. I would like to see him use the run, run, and then pass a little less...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Don't put words in my mouth. You are the one saying he is helpless. You are the one badmouthing him. I'm saying the players aren't making plays. They aren't executing. You blame KG when a play fails. I blame the players for not getting the job done. There are times when I get frustrated with the playcalling too. KG is not perfect. You and I don't see eye to eye on this. However, I'm not posting threads titled, "Where are all the Killdrive haters part 150?" after we win a SB. Yet you chose to call me out when things aren't going well? You are implying I am an idiot for supporting KG, I'm telling you, there is another view point.

Tell me, when it's third and one and we go deep and we score a TD is that good or bad play calling? Because I bet my house when it's third and one and we go deep and it's incomplete, you think KG is an idiot.
    I asked 2 legitimate questions that have not been answered in detail by anyone that I recall.
    (BTW, it is pretty difficult to "puts words in someone's mouth" by asking a question)

I am not beyond completely changing my opinion if presented with all the facts.

It's not about loving him, it's about realizing that the system puts so much responsibility on the players. Sometimes, this is called for. Sometimes, it isn't.

Example: when you have a 100% healthy Hakeem Nicks, and he's practicing every day with Eli, and their timing is more effective than a clock -- yeah, put it all on Eli. But when Nicks isn't healthy, and isn't practicing, and he isn't dominating corners, don't dial up calls that require timing -- such as a back-shoulder throw, or endzone fade route. Those plays are lethal when the duo is clicking, but it's frustrating when it isn't.

But there are aspects of Gilbride's coaching that I defend which depicts me as a Gilbride "lover" (which believe me, I'm not, I watch games in frustration like the rest of you).

Example: 3rd and 20, shotgun draw. People think that is the worst possible call, but strategically, it's the right call and it's frequently made in the NFL. Converting a 3rd and 20 is such a long shot, that the additional yards (especially with an astounding punter) is the best move to make in that situation rather than risking an interception, sack-strip, WR deflection in congested zones, etc. There's also the possibility you catch your opponent off guard and convert it. Is it a good call on 3rd and 8? Only when it works, but mostly not. Nonetheless, people seem to think that a play like that alone is firing-worthy -- it's not!

The shotgun draw on 3rd and 1 is predictable, but that means nothing. If any defense gears up to stop it, Eli will just burn them over the top. The predictability means absolutely nothing, and the fact that they spread the field only displays a lack in confidence with the OL. We can't line up, hat on a hat, and just overpower a team for one yard, we need to get them in a nickel defense and hopefully create a crease for the back to get through.

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    it is very common in the NFL

less common than it was say 10 or 15 years ago.....but still quite common

Bill Walsh was widely known for this ......and sticking to it always

and Gilbride does do this ....but does not always stick to it

a couple articles on the topic

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...-opening-plays

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...td-to-gilbride
    i didn't think kg ever did it. I remember reading of kg and Eli discussing how kg will take the first series or two to see what the defenses will be doing and that he will call vanilla plays. I think it's part of the reason why Asante Samuel has three first pass attempt of the game ints on Eli. I will say this, on the rare occasion we score on our opening drive, it did seem like the tempo was quicker and seemed more effective than usual like he really did script it but I don't know for sure bc I have only read of state he doesn't script the first couple drives. And I hate that bc we almost never score on our first drive. It's why IMO TC receives if he can bc he understands the offense needs a series or two before things get going and if w defer and concede an opening score,wed be in danger of falling behind by two or more scores early.

KILLDRIVE NEEDS TO GO NOW!
    TIRED OF HIM MESSIN UP MY TEAM MAN. MIGHT BE A JETS FAN IF HE KEEP THIS UP.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChris View Post
    KILLDRIVE NEEDS TO GO NOW!
    TIRED OF HIM MESSIN UP MY TEAM MAN. MIGHT BE A JETS FAN IF HE KEEP THIS UP.
    Nobody's stopping you. In fact, I insist. Go be a (perennially miserable, oxygen-wasting) Jets fan.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i didn't think kg ever did it. I remember reading of kg and Eli discussing how kg will take the first series or two to see what the defenses will be doing and that he will call vanilla plays. I think it's part of the reason why Asante Samuel has three first pass attempt of the game ints on Eli. I will say this, on the rare occasion we score on our opening drive, it did seem like the tempo was quicker and seemed more effective than usual like he really did script it but I don't know for sure bc I have only read of state he doesn't script the first couple drives. And I hate that bc we almost never score on our first drive. It's why IMO TC receives if he can bc he understands the offense needs a series or two before things get going and if w defer and concede an opening score,wed be in danger of falling behind by two or more scores early.
    you obviously didn't read the articles I just posted

and yes Gilbride has always done it

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    Nobody's stopping you. In fact, I insist. Go be a (perennially miserable, oxygen-wasting) Jets fan.
    You just couldn't help yourself...

I'm praying that some team takes Gilbride off our hands, and the past 2 games are a big reason why.

People say "Gilbride can't catch the ball, make the block, etc., etc.".......and I agree, sometimes, these players make Gilbride look bad.

But then again, the reverse is true......there have been many occasions when Eli will throw up a gorgeous deep ball that Nicks and Cruz pull down for a huge gain.

In Super Bowl 42 and 46, it came down to Eli running a superb 2 minute drill to win both games.

Last weekend was a perfect example of why I think a change is needed. The Giants finally seemed to have a heartbeart after Wilson ripped off a sweet TD run. The score at the time was 14-7.

So, what do the Giants do?.......instead of going back to the well, and playing the hot hand, they stick Wilson back on the bench to cool off, and turn back to Bradhshaw, who was clearly not healthy enough to contribute. Bradshaw's blocking v. the Falcons was worse than anything I saw this entire season from Wilson.

I really think I've seen everything I'm going to see from Gilbride. I don't expect his approach to change....I don't expect to see any game-time adjustments, or new plays.

Games fall into one of several categories:

1) Eli is on, and makes Gilbride look like a genius.....and I'll admit, Gilbride's scheme works great when Eli is playing lights-out.
    2) Eli struggles, and Gilbride does nothing to bail him out.

I can't remember the last play-action, the last reverse, the last flea-flicker, the last time they went no-huddle to trap an opponent's defense in an unfavorable personnel package.

Gilbride has spent too many seasons placing all his eggs in Eli's basket.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 12-27-2012 at 02:01 AM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

+ Reply to Thread