+ Reply to Thread

offsesason: with player cuts and salary restructures....

how much money can we free up, and which, if any FA's might be on the giants radar?

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    how much money can we free up, and which, if any FA's might be on the giants radar?
    My sig says it all. Everyone on the Oline besides Beatty must go. Same goes for Tuck, Osi, Rolle, Webster, and Canty. Just too much money for the amount of production.

Quote Originally Posted by WiIdcat View Post
    My sig says it all. Everyone on the Oline besides Beatty must go. Same goes for Tuck, Osi, Rolle, Webster, and Canty. Just too much money for the amount of production.
    There'll be even less money if they cut them all.

How could it be less money?

Quote Originally Posted by WiIdcat View Post
    My sig says it all.
    Your sig essentially says blow the team up and rebuild it through FA. You cut that much muscle and experience in the locker room, and you've lost your team. Offseasons like that are reserved for new regimes, something I highly doubt we will be experiencing.

Do we need OL help? Yes. Diehl will be cut, he can't perform his job at an NFL level anymore. We fill his spot with either James Brewer, a FA signing, or a draft pick, but most likely take a crack at it with all three options.

Do we need DT depth? Yes. We will probably restructure Canty's deal, draft a DT at some point, as well as sign one through FA. From what I've gathered from Reese is that he doesn't want to be vulnerable at DT. Last time he felt threatened in that department, he flirted with Albert Haynesworth, finally settling with both Canty, and Bernard. The following year, he spent a high draft pick on Linval Joseph. Just one year after that, another second round pick on Marvin Austin.

Do we need LBer help? Yes. We will do nothing.

Do we need secondary help? Yes. Webster will probably restructure, Rolle will likely redo his whole deal, KP could possibly re-sign, and we will most certainly readdress an area that we've invested high picks on the past two years.

Quote Originally Posted by mainegiantsfan View Post
    How could it be less money?
    Because when you release a player, any guaranteed money remaining on their contract counts towards the current season's cap in one lump sum.
    • eg. David Baas has a base salary of $4,250,000, but a total of $7,425,000 remaining in bonus money. Cutting Baas would mean losing the player and incurring a $7,425,000 penalty.
    It just wouldn't make sense.

Turns out I was wrong in that it would result in less money, though. I did the math, and if Baas, Tuck, Snee, Diehl, Webster, Rolle and Canty (I excluded Osi because he's an FA, anyway) were all released next year, the team would free up $28,916,666 in cap space. Keeping them would swallow $38,000,000 of the cap.

Honestly, though. If you released all those vets in one hit, who on earth would you replace them with?