+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A LIITLE PERSPECTIVE....

I was thinking (like some of you) that maybe better to lose and retool, be able to pick before Skins and Boys in draft next year. Don't even watch the game.

Then it hit me...I remembered my youth. Year after year of losing. In those days I would have been glued to TV and Newspapers (yes some of us had only these and 3 TV channels) to see what our chances were to make playoffs. However slim, however improbable...just the thought of playoffs would have had me in fits.
    So now here we are, after the terrible season we have endured, with a slim chance of going to playoffs and somehow we are thinking of not rooting like crazy for the improbable?

Yes, surely we will be on the outside looking in after Bears win at 1PM game. But what if...what if Bears lose? What if we win? 4PM game with Vikes...nail bitting...What if they lose?....8PM comes along and we are Skins fans for 3 hours...

I would have loved this scenario as a kid...my team..THE GIANTS...a chance at the playoffs..WOW!!...

So WTH, Good or bad...I'm startin to get nervously pumped for tomorrow...a FAN..a Hope..bring it!! (Shear torture).

love the perspective key

I remember those days fondly as well ....waiting for my pop to describe the scenario to me as he read it in the morning news paper

it usually made little no no sense to me but all I understood was that maybe my men in blue had a shot at post season play ......and I was ready for it

always good to see you around my brother ...I hope you and yours are enjoying the holiday season

if nothing else let's go beat those eagles tomorrow

You got it YA...Happy Holidays to you and yours also.

I can't make game tomorrow due to work, but donated to "Touchdowns for Teens" so I hope some kid will get a great day experience, like my days in Yankee Stadium watching Fran run for his life and me thinking somehow he (and Spider) would pull the game out!

Veteran
    Good perspective, I was there also for a 10 year drought! before FINALLY in 1981 we made the playoffs & WON!!!! against the HATED eagles, with Scott Bruner throwing TD passes to Leon Bright, John Mistler & To Mullady & one man gang Rob Carpenter rushing for 161 yards- WHO ARE these guys!!!. That's just IT!, it's one thing for a bunch of OVERACHIEVERS Finally reaching a long drought busting goal. However...It's another thing rooting for the reigning SUPER BOWL champs to be Under performing in such a manner, with questions of "heart" coming from the coach. I still love your old time perspective..I remember the lean times well...ps. I didn't meet a fellow Giant fan here in Pennsylvania for my first 10 years!

All-Pro
    Count me in here I remamber those days well No matter how bad they were, every Sunday I was full hope that they would win even if it meant nothing...Just to be spoliers was good enought.....Go Giants !!

Quote Originally Posted by keyofgmen View Post
    I was thinking (like some of you) that maybe better to lose and retool, be able to pick before Skins and Boys in draft next year. Don't even watch the game.

Then it hit me...I remembered my youth. Year after year of losing. In those days I would have been glued to TV and Newspapers (yes some of us had only these and 3 TV channels) to see what our chances were to make playoffs. However slim, however improbable...just the thought of playoffs would have had me in fits.
    So now here we are, after the terrible season we have endured, with a slim chance of going to playoffs and somehow we are thinking of not rooting like crazy for the improbable?

Yes, surely we will be on the outside looking in after Bears win at 1PM game. But what if...what if Bears lose? What if we win? 4PM game with Vikes...nail bitting...What if they lose?....8PM comes along and we are Skins fans for 3 hours...

I would have loved this scenario as a kid...my team..THE GIANTS...a chance at the playoffs..WOW!!...

So WTH, Good or bad...I'm startin to get nervously pumped for tomorrow...a FAN..a Hope..bring it!! (Shear torture).
    This is fantastic, thanks for the post.

Totally. I remember the days when Randall Cunningham single-handedly (it seemed) kept us from winning even more SB's. The G-Men aren't cleaning-house anyway, so don't bet on coaches losing jobs just because of 8-8 vs. 9-7. Coaching contracts are guaranteed, and the Giants never "Eat" contracts.

And as far as draft picks go, it's a pretty much a crap-shoot anyway, I'm starting to think.

And besides, I don't think any HC in history has kept us down more than Andy Reid. Why not hold the door open for him on his way out of Philly?

The fact that we are disappointed while not being officially eliminated shows how fortunate things have been of recent. There are teams that have merited no expectations at all for years if not decades.

Those SBs have gotten some posters in here spoiled. All doom and gloom and rebuild with them.

If 9-7 is a bad year, I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyArcher View Post
    If 9-7 is a bad year, I'll take it.
    Mother******' 9-7 Dynasty!
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 12-29-2012 at 02:21 PM.