+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Antrel Rolle: Defense Needs To Get On The Same Page Moving Forward

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5794

Excerpt: "Giants safety Antrel Rolle didn’t do a very good job of hiding his disappointment when it was pointed out to him that for the second year in a row, the Giants defense finished near the bottom of the league.

“I take a lot of pride in our defenses and what we bring to the table to present, and a lot of times you can get caught up with numbers in the NFL as far as ranking and things like that,” he said.

But then he allowed the obvious, that at times this year the Giants defense was either very good or very bad, a trend that drove head coach Tom Coughlin crazy and one which Rolle said needs to be corrected.
    Rolle, who said he planned to speak with Coughlin to share some feedback on how to fix what has hurt the defense, initially didn’t want to go into specifics.

But then he began to open up into what he viewed as some of the problems the unit has faced this season.

“The main focus point is trying to find that focus area where you’re playing on a more consistent basis, doing the things you’re taught to do and making the plays when the opportunities present themselves and just being a better defense all the way around,” he said.

“Having more fight, have a lot more attitude in our play – I think that’s going to play a huge part.

And more importantly, understanding the defense and all the ins and outs – not just your assignment per say just understanding the entire defense. I think that played a huge role in a lot of big plays that happened against us this year also.”

Rolle, who said that he believes the Giants have enough quality players in the locker room to turn things around, said he doesn’t think that players were doing more gambling within the schemes this year, but strongly hinted that there might have been instances where all 11 guys maybe didn’t understand the entire concept of a scheme and that led to some freelancing that in turn backfired on them.

“In football, everything is X’s and O’s. If you play within those X’s and O’s, more times than not, you’ll be ok,” he said.

“Sometimes you’re required to play outside of the box. If you see something, go get it, but it all has to be within the defense. You never want to go out there and leave another person hanging because you might see something.

“You have to play within the defense and more importantly, just understand what’s being asked of you on a specific play.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Oh wow he might as well forget it cause it is too late.

Rolle is the leader of this defense right now I think. He deserves a C on his chest, he does all the talking but he backs it up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    Oh wow he might as well forget it cause it is too late.
    It's never too late to improve. The NFL is a marathon, we have seasons yet to play
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedYouth85 View Post
    Rolle is the leader of this defense right now I think. He deserves a C on his chest, he does all the talking but he backs it up too.
    He gets my vote

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It's never too late to improve. The NFL is a marathon, we have seasons yet to play
    Your right.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    Your right.
    That was easy

So he's basically saying they lacked discipline?

Starter
    He's saying they lacked execution. Nothing wrong with calling it like it is, Rolle is an honest guy and is the first one to tell you he played a crappy season.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    So he's basically saying they lacked discipline?
    That or, to me, they didn't do what they were told to do in certain schemes AND they didn't watch for the unexpected. Most telling to me was when he said they have to know what everybody's role is and make adjustments when someone is out of place. The one example I can think of was when Stevie Brown mistakenly bit on the play action and Webester (I think it was) didn't adjust his play to cover for Brown's mistake resulting in a TD.

That's not a coaching issue once the game starts. That's a player needing to and read it say "WTF Stevie, I have to cover for you now."